Keen: Next - Keen walks through solid walls like doors

Utilities for editing Keen:Galaxy and Keen:Dreams levels.
Stealthy71088

Keen: Next - Keen walks through solid walls like doors

Post by Stealthy71088 »

So I'm looking into making a galaxy extremely patched levelpack/mod without graphics changed. I've got Keen: Next installed and working, and I've built quite a bit of a level. However, I've run into two major problems, and I have a question about how to do something as well.

1. In my level, Keen goes into a house by going through a standard door. If he wants to return to the area he was before, there's a door right where he spawns that he can travel through. No problem. However, if I move a foot into the house and try to look up, Keen will travel right through the wall as if it was a door, and win the level. I don't actually have any action event stickers on any of these tiles, yet if Keen looks up at any of them, its an instant win. What causes this, and how can I stop it? When Keen is outside the house, this does not occur.

2. I also have a door with a key. The keyholder has a action event sticker that points to the top tile of the door. When keen goes to the keyholder with the key, he automatically walks right past the keyholder, through the wall, and wins the level. Obviously this is a problem....

3. Finally- I have a theory, but just to make sure, how do you make working bridges that can be controlled by a switch? It didn't say in the tutorial, but I suspect that all you have to do is place a switch and point it to one of the top tiles in the bridge. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help,

Stealthy71088
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Woo, excited to hear about your project.

Problem 1: This definitely looks like a problem of door tiles, possibly invisible ones, being placed in the room. Since you're using Keen:Next I suggest using the dropper tool and holding down the mouse button and drag the tool around the room to see if any of these tiles show up. Additionally, whatever foreground tiles are there you should double check the properties of with ck456tli.

Problem 2: This is weird. Does Keen place the key in the holder at all or just walk past it? How many tiles away is the key holder from the door? I'm not sure if those questions are relavent, but may help. Also check what tiles are placed around the door: you may have some invisible tiles which force keen forward.

3. Bridges are done by placing a switch and pointing it to the top left most bridge tile which animates (not the actual left most bridge tile). This is tile X in the bridge diagram below:

Code: Select all

BXBBBBBBB
BBBBBBBBB
Hope this helps :)
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

3. Bridges are good now, thanks! :)

1 and 2: It doesn't seem to be the background tiles I have there- I checked the tileinfo stuff but it doesn't list properties for background tiles, only foreground tiles. So I took all the background tiles I used (they're in a nice box) and put them all in the starting location, an area where keen hasn't had any door problems. He still doesn't have door problems in this area...

WAIT I MAY HAVE IT. Now, let's suppose Keen feet are touching a null value for background. I haven't experimented with that yet. I didn't bother putting background tiles where you wouldn't be able to see them- including the tiles keen's feet are on- because that's a platform. Testing now!!

Edit: Not it. I completely changed the background, using tiles I've never used before from different scenery. Same thing happened in the same locations. So that's not it.

However, the key is now inexplicably working.

Double Edit: So let's suppose my map.knp somehow got corrupted. It wasn't corrupted when I working with it 5 mins ago, but now it is- at least it looks like tileset corruption caused by k 1-3 tileinfo- all the tiles have been replaced with one tile. Would that have anything to do with it??

Triple Edit: Reextracted map.knp to fix the corruption. Everything's back to normal now, but I still have problem 1.
levellass

Post by levellass »

1.) Doors work via the sprite plane. This value must not be 0 if you want the door to go somewhere and not win the level. If you want a useless door, then you must remove the (invisible!) foreground door tiles.

2.) This osunds like a patching bug, since keygems and doors share methods and the bug appears to happen for both..

3.) The diagram is not quite correct...

A switch will 'flip' any foreground tile with an animating property but NO TIME to animate by 1 frame. The tiles to be flipped must be in a rectangle but can be as many different tiles as you want. (See Mink's puzzle pack for an interesting use of this, where 'two' bridges are connected via wall tiles that animate but don't look like they do.)
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

It doesn't seem to be the background tiles I have there
It's the foreground tiles you want to look at. There are certain 'invisible' tiles which may be in the room which have the door property.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Thanks for your help. I found it. It turns out it was the bottom right tile in the blank square below the exit sign. I found a *safe* blank tile used in the house, and I'm using that as my blank now.
levellass

Post by levellass »

This is why I mark the invisible tiles, especially those used on the map. You don't need to permanently edit the graphics, but it's a great help!