Keen: Galaxy editor - it's coming

Utilities for editing Keen:Galaxy and Keen:Dreams levels.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Hmmm, it must have been LLa and not you who went on that "fuck ted5, worthless piece of shit" rant. (Sorry, but you two do not really occupy different spaces in my brain.)

Anyway, did you change the script files to point correctly to your graphics files? It doesn't really matter though, because the next release (which will probably be version 0.1, by the way, not unofficial version #3) won't have those script files. You just open the gamemaps file, and TPT searches subfolders recursively for the other three files (using the same code as MB). The iconrows are, for the time being, hardcoded into the program.

And one last thing--I decided that I'll make a post over at the PCKF when I release version 0.1.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

I'm having trouble getting this working, myself.

I downloaded version 2, and as soon as I double-click it, it asks for a script file--no matter what I click, it gives me a Script Error (-1).

I downloaded the first one, and was prompted for the files, but then an error occured. My tpt.err file says the following:

Code: Select all

tpt.exw:427 in procedure loadLevels() 
type_check failure, <no-name> is 2294874048 
    <no-name> = 43981
    <no-name> = 8
    <no-name> = 2294874048
    <no-name> = <no value>
    <no-name> = <no value>
    <no-name> = <no value>
    <no-name> = <no value>
    <no-name> = <no value>
    <no-name> = 10
    <no-name> = 0
    <no-name> = 0
    <no-name> = <no value>

... called from tpt.exw:1 

Global & Local Variables
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Crap, what the hell?

Um, try this. In version #2, put the script file, gamemaps, and maphead in one folder, and put the ?til0000.bmp and ?til0001.bmp files in a subfolder called bmps, then run tpt and select the script file. If this doesn't work, I really have no idea what's wrong. In any case, the next version won't have script files anyway, so there won't be that problem anyway.

Something I just thought of - are your gamemaps files from Keen version 1.4 not by goodtimes software? That's the version I got the mapheads from. I think there are slight differences in the levels between different versions of Keen, which would throw off all of the offsets in the maphead file. This versions-of-Keen bit applies to the tpt version#1 as well. Make sure you've got the right version of Keen before doing anything.

(Edit) Just grab this file and unzip it - it has gamemaps and mapheads from version 1.4 not by gt software, and the script files, and the extracted tile images, all set up where they need to go. This really should work. If not, I have absolutely no idea what the fucl is going on.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

When I get a chance, I'll hop on that--I've got a slew of college-related assignments to sort through first.

I think we'll get a new sub-forum down below, the way we did with MindBelt, as soon as you settle on a name, CK Guy. ;)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

The Phototachyon Transciever sounds alright to me.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Yeah, fine, LL, but does it work? I gave a big long elaborate post above, Xky says he'll try later, and then LL--she just comments on the name!!! GARG I AM CURSED!!!!!

Seriously, though, really try this, I need to make sure this works. I don't want to release version 0.1 until I'm sure there's not some big problem that doesn't happen on my computer.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Another thing - when the new forum is created, please do not move this topic into it - I want to start a new topic with version 0.1, and not have all of this pre-official-release stuff in it.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

It seems you missed my post at the bottom of the previous page. I notice that this happens a lot, the last post on a page is skipped if a new page is started.

Xky missed it too, so I'll ask again, how he hell do you tell what planes are being edited in TED5?
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

At the bottom of the screen it says B F I b f i (or some subset thereof). There B,F,I tell you whether or not the background,foreground,infoplane are active, and and the b,f,i tell you whether those planes are active. You press 1,2,3 to toggle whether the planes are active, and you press 4,5,6 to toggle whether they are displayed.

Check out the first Keen Newsletter. It's first article is all about TED5.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

CK Guy: I followed all the steps in your post/email, and this is what I get:

Fatal run-time error:
bad file number (-1)
I'm sorry. :(

LevelLord: To the left of the XY coordinates, and to the right of the Current Tiles, there's two rows that look like this:

BFIbfi
From left to right, the capital B F and I are toggles to indicate whether you're interacting with Background Foreground, or Infoplane stuffs, and the lowercase b f and i are toggles to indidate whether those planes are visible. The numbers beneath are the hotkeys to toggle these.

For example, when starting a map, you'll probably want to hit 2 and 3, so only B is showing... then press Space to open the tile selector, click Background, and then use the Copy mode to grab one of those huge background images. Paste that sucker all over your map as necessary, then hit 1 to turn Background off, and 2 to start putting your map tiles down.

It gets easier. :) By the way, I did see your post at the bottom of the previous page, I just hadn't taken the time to answer it yet, because I didn't want to post "still at work, can't try this yet." Now that I've tried it, I can reply! :P
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Alrighty... with that file set you uploaded, it works quite nicely for me. And the Keen4 I've extracted worked well. However, when I modkeen Keen6, I don't get a maphead file, and substituting yours didn't work.

I tried copying the files into an extracted Keen6 directory, and was given a Map Too Tall error. All I did was change a couple of tiles in one of the levels.

Also, one complaint about the interface. It's quite annoying when you scroll to the edge and then the default movement changes from horizontal to vertical. The CTRL+wheel feature is sufficient for that purpose.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

CS: Did you try with the gamemaps.ck6 in the file I linked to? Relatedly (word? Firefox spellcheck thinks so), are you using version 1.4, not by goodtimes software?

As for the scrolling - that would be easy to change, I just copied the scrolling mechanism over from mindbelt.

(edit) I'm not sure what's going wrong, Xky ... what episode are you doing? Apparently Commander Spleen only had troubles with Keen 6 ... I dunno. Maybe I'll release an unofficial version #3 after all, with the new changes I made. Not now though, I don't feel up to it at all. Kind of buzzed, to tell you the truth ... a fun evening involving C2H5OH. ;-)
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

That's the thing--I'm using nothing that hasn't been supplied by you! I download version 2 and then I download this file and I unzip them both into a folder on my desktop.

When I double-click tpt.exe, I get one dialogue box asking for a scripts file, so I click on CK4.txt, and then all I get is a blank screen that gives the error listed above!
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

CK Guy wrote:CS: Did you try with the gamemaps.ck6 in the file I linked to? Relatedly (word? Firefox spellcheck thinks so), are you using version 1.4, not by goodtimes software?
Yep, I saved over the one you supplied, then copied it into the game directory. I'm pretty certain it's not the GoodTimes version, but I'll try everything thoroughly from scratch later to figure out all the variables.
Xky wrote:When I double-click tpt.exe, I get one dialogue box asking for a scripts file, so I click on CK4.txt, and then all I get is a blank screen that gives the error listed above!
Hmm, I'm not being asked for a script file... perhaps I'm using the older version, but as far as I can see the zip file was overwritten so it wouldn't matter which post's link I used...
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Actually, the first version was a standalone .exe, so they're both still there online. I'll do a little testing of versions and get back in a few minutes ...

(edit) ... all right, I'm back. I tried version #1 on all three episodes in the tpt-requirements.zip and they all worked. I tried version #2 on all three episodes in the requirements file and they all worked. Then I copied the the mapheads and script files from tpt #2 and overwrote the ones in the tpt-requirements folder, but kept the gamemaps from that one and tried all three episodes, and once again they all worked.

I really don't know what going on here. I guess I'll just throw an unofficial version #3 together and see what luck people have with that.

Heh, the only explanation I can think of for your problem, Xky, is that you didn't specify the "-d" option on pkunzip's command line. ;-) This would definitely mess things up because the tile image wouldn't be in a "bmps" subfolder.

(edit) Okay, the next version should be up in a few minutes.

(edit) And here it is. This file includes the gamemap.ck?, maphead.ck?, and ?til000?.bmp files, so just unzip this into a new folder and try it out. I did one final final test just before zipping and uploading this, and it worked, so ...

Anyway, this version has done away with the script files, you only specify the gamemaps file, and the program searches in subfolders for the other files. It should be entirely automatic and intuitive. If it can't find a particular file, it should display a window to that effect, instead of just crashing with a bad file number error.

(edit) This has been kind of a big ridiculous hassle. I really hope this starts working on other people's computers ...

One last thing @Commander Spleen. Just thinking about the 'map too tall' error you got - this is an error in Keen. Did you use ckpatch to replace the maphead in memory? I probably should have put something to this effect in the (rudimentary) docs but it's too late now, and I don't feel like re-zipping and re-upping them. You'll need a script file with something like:

%ext ck4
%maphead maphead.ck4
%end
Then run ck4patch instead of keen4e. Make the obvious changes for Keens 5 and 6.

(edit) I see that CS is on now, so let's get some replies...

(edit) Noooooooooooooooooooo! He left! :'-(