Norp the Yorp I level design

Discussion and analysis of graphics, story, levels, and so on.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

This is a great example (in a bad way) of why "fetch questing" is loathed by gamers. :) From the get-to, the player is presented with keys and doors of colors that don't quite match, so we jump through hoops. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just once, with that first key--it forces the player to become aware of the divided nature of the level. But doing it 4 times is a stretch, even for patient players.

I think the level could benefit from being a bit wider, to allow for a more arced path between floors, and a bit more variety on layout. It's nice that there is a "Yorp Section," and an "Ice Cannon Section" and all... but if the whole level could be integrated more, I think overall it'd have a better feel.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Another really tiny level

This is a cute little level that does threefold

1. It gives the player more points that are useful if the player is low on lives

2. It reintroduces the hoverbot? (Hey Xtra, do you have a name for these?)

3. Finally, all the hoverbots annoy the heck out of the player. Unlike yorps, Keen can't really jump out of the way of these things, I believe because they move so quickly.

At the same time, since they can't push Keen into a pit, it isn't that bad.

I think I would have moved the level entrance a little closer to the beginnning of the game, but other than that, it's a nice level.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

'bump'
EricMushroomWilson

Post by EricMushroomWilson »

Sorry, I can't really think of too much to say about this level. :(

I do think in general that having a few small levels between larger ones in a mod is good. It can work in a similar way to the use of the smaller levels in Keen 1.

On a note more specific to this level, the big line of hoverbots looks a bit excessive... it's probably a bit annoying to get past, although maybe they'll just push you into an exit. Speaking of which, the use of two exits is an interesting choice...
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

The exits in this level are obstacles in themselves, aren't they? That gives me an idea for teleporters next time I'm playing Keen1. :) Miss a jump, get teleported to the beginning! Sounds Levellordish, huh?
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

The two exits is probably more for symmetry than actual function. :) Don't forget that while this level introduces the pusherbots, it also shows us that not all walls are solid--that's just as important.
levellass

Post by levellass »

The exits in this level are obstacles in themselves, aren't they? That gives me an idea for teleporters next time I'm playing Keen1. :) Miss a jump, get teleported to the beginning! Sounds Levellordish, huh?
Or disguise teleporters as exits. Heh heh.

Symmetry rules. ok? ?ko .selur yrtemmyS
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Stealthy71088 wrote:The exits in this level are obstacles in themselves, aren't they? That gives me an idea for teleporters next time I'm playing Keen1. :) Miss a jump, get teleported to the beginning! Sounds Levellordish, huh?
Sounds a lot less frustrating than losing a life and going all the way back to start, actually. It allows for "Checkpoints" in a Keen:Vorticons game. Lots of flexibility, depending on how you use them. We've even got patches for it, already!
levellass

Post by levellass »

We have? Where?
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Probably the patch that lets teleporters go somewhere inside the level. Just put up a bunch of teleporter tiles where the player would fall, set them to go to the beginning of the level, and you're done!

What'd be cooler, though, is a sort of checkpoint, so the player goes back to a certain point, depending on how far they've gotten. Which could also be done with the same patch.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Exactly--the only difficulty would be the fact that enemies themselves still kill you. But as far as obstacle courses go, just replace the danger tiles with teleport tiles. :)
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Hi. I'm not dead, just very, very busy.

That's an awesome idea, checkpoints. We could use tileinfo for flags, to show the player that they activated a checkpoint. We have to make sure that these checkpoints don't land on enemies, because that would be completely unfair. I'm afraid that they may cause modders to make long and ridiculously hard levels, taking advantage of the checkpoints. At the same time, it could really come in handy if you don't want the player to have to retraverse half the level.

It gives me another idea too. Teleporters are always used as doorways, right? What if someone were to die, and be teleported to some spirit realm or something that looks just like the actual level? What would be really cool is if we could somehow make things that happen in one area happen in another. Maybe vorticons and chain blocks?

http://dosclassics.com/keen/mod_map.php ... 1&e=1&l=12

Here's the next level. Another really short map. I'm not entirely sure what this level accomplishes, if anything, other than acts as a useful location for a yorp message. It builds the player's confidence too, although I would think the last short level would do that.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Everyone said

My thoughts exactly.

Moving on
Finally, a big and interesting level.
The first word I think when I see it- GAAARRG!

There are a lot of gargs that fall off of cliffs as soon as you see them. It's kind of sad. Now if they were vorticons, and the bottom of the level was floored, than that might be different.

The jumps in this level are evil. You get very little head room, so it's easy to mess up.

On the plus side: I really like the use of light and dark in this level. The light is very smooth, uniform, and almost creates a little depth to the level. The jumps and jumping platforms are also very uniform, making it pleasant on the eyes.

Post away!
-Stealthy71088
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

There are a lot of gargs that fall off of cliffs as soon as you see them.
When I first played this, the gargs charged at me, jumping from platform to platform and were very difficult to stop.

The quest for the blue keygem is evil; you will need to undertake the middle part of the level again, and the bots at the top of the level make it difficult to even move. However, it isn't compulsary, and if successful there is a large reward.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

I like the level in theory--it might work very well in 3d. The concept of a vertically tall, horizontally narrow, corridor suspended over electrical hazards, platforms of uniform size at similar heights... that could work.

In 2d, however, we need variety; shift those platforms up or down a square, make one of them 4 squares wide (just to make the player wonder) and maybe even change the colors.

I think the extra points at the bottom right are excellent as-is, and I like the concept of going back for extra, if you're greedy. The problem is that, without Gargs, it's a boring, routine task. I'm not saying to stick an Ice Cannon on it--but maybe a tile of slippery here and there wouldn't hurt. Something to take us out of Autopilot. :)