DISCUSSION: detail tiles

Discussion and analysis of graphics, story, levels, and so on.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Thats not a bad cloud at all, I tend to like my clouds blurry at the edges, but basically they're ovals or spheres with different moods impressed apon them by squashing and stretching.

Lemur, them hi res clouds are awesome!
All his clouds
Hey!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Nice cloud.
lemur_821

Post by lemur_821 »

Lemur, them hi res clouds are awesome!
Thanks. :) Every so often one of my art projects turns out very well, and I'll have no idea why.
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

all his clouds
Sorry. Maybe I'll just start referring to everyone and everything as "it." Really, gender differentiation in pronouns should have been trashed ages ago, but... *sigh*

Nice hi-res clouds, Lemur! Those are the sort of clouds that Keen fans can only dream about. Just a couple more colors... and maybe a higher resolution screen... and...
XkyRauh

re: dithering

Post by XkyRauh »

So here's a question for you dithermeisters: How the heck do I get it to work with my mosaic mod? :-) Dithering from White to Black with the two shades of grey works great... and dithering from blue to red can work with the limited purples and browns we've got. But (if you remember the screenshots I've got on my XkyKeen3 preview page,) how in the world am I going to dither my clouds into my sky? O_o

What I've got so far works okay and looks decent enough where I think it'll pass scrutiny (especially after I pattern them (possibly))... but I was curious to see how you all would make it work.

You know, this topic should actually go into the CKCM forum. Get a little discussion and comparison (competition?) of ideas. For example "Okay people, we've got 9 tiles avaliable to make some background detail tiles... I wanna see flowers and weeds, pronto!" :-)

If the patchwork mod is any indication, the CKCM is going to sweep the awards whenever it comes out...

--Xky
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Not if The Patchwork Mod 2 & 3 have anything to do with it.

As for your clouds, note my clouds are underlined with dark cyan, you can use that to dither the bottom of your clouds. Post a pic of your clouds an' we'll see what we can do.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hmmm, I'm sure they're good already. :) And I don't even know what dithering means.. :\
XkyRauh

re: clouds and sky

Post by XkyRauh »

Alright, here's a little tiled section of my sky:

Just wondering how you'd go about putting clouds in that sky WITHOUT USING BLACK.

(I've already got a way that works fine for me, I'm just tossing this out for discussion's sake)

--Xky
lemur_821

Post by lemur_821 »

And I don't even know what dithering means
It's when you alternate between two colors to produce a third one. For example, you might use dark green and light green in a checkerboard pattern (each square would be one pixel) to get a medium green.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Well xky, here is an adaption of my previous clouds. I'm not sure if its fully dithered enough, but here:

KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ah, thanks lemur. I have used it, but didn't know the name.

Also, the cloud looks very in-keeping with the style LL.
XkyRauh

re: backgrounds

Post by XkyRauh »

LL, your cloud looks very nice. :-)

I gotta say, one of the biggest disadvantages to designing a background with so many carefully placed pixels is that it's hard to put your point items in! Once you get all the pixel work done, it looks great, but actually getting it done is so meticulous!!

(If you can't tell, I'm currently trying to design my point items... come to think of it, that'd be a good discussion for the detail tile topic--what makes good point items?!)

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Well, good point items are something that look like they taste good, got lot's of sugar on them and so on. :)
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

Points should, first and foremost, stand out from the background. It doesn't matter what they are, but if they look like background tiles (or, heaven forbid, hazards), nobody will notice or collect them.

Beyond that, points can look like pretty much anything: treats, toys, math symbols, etc. My opinion is that candy works best, but It's really up to the modder.
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

I say whatever fits the style of your mod.
Norp the Yorp 2 was in an arboretum, so I picked various fruits. Norp the Yorp 3 was in a human body, so I picked various things you find in there.