A twist for collection

Discussion and analysis of graphics, story, levels, and so on.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Good points Xky, seems that there really are many ways for those.

One good (??) way is secret passages "under the level". :) As we know, there are two of those tiles bordering the level. Usually they are blockable tiles. But you can make some lowest tiles to be block, and put some blockable tiles and candy on top of them, that way you can make cool secret passages under the level that lead Keen to some other nice place.
Dr.Villain
Location: An underground Fortress in an unassuming suburban neighborhood

Post by Dr.Villain »

I usally "hide" items in plain sight as it may become evident when I release Mort1. My method usally involves a pattern of platforms and items that requires a tricky manuver.
Ilsoap

Then...

Post by Ilsoap »

You know, it would make for an interesting Keen mod if there was one that didn't have any points in it at all. Since you can edit the amount of points that are given when you hit a point amount, you could make one of the point values work as a hidden block (like mentioned before), and one of them work as an extra life (adding 20,000 points to your score, thus giving you an extra life), but not using any point tiles for actual points.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

You know, it would make for an interesting Keen mod if there was one that didn't have any points in it at all.
That would be pretty cool. Then the focus would be more on the story and solving puzzles than getting into the high-score list.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

I have thought that too.. Never done stuff that way.
But it's cool to be without the gun. In my current mod half of the levels will be played without getting gun, and you can't get much ammo in the others either.

But probably I make sometime something mod where you can't get gun at all. :)

Also, they can be used to make walls that you can "eat". :) Like using some point blocks as wall blocks. Great way to get in to the hidden candy base. And also, remember to edit those blocks give Keen zero points more.

Woah, pretty amazing what possibilities this old game has. Too bad iD didn't take all advantage of the engine. But well, Keen's are still best games. ;)
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Of course, if you make Keen always have the pogo, then you can use TileInfo to make as many 'pogo' tiles as you like, each of which can be used for these purposes.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Do this mean I could make 10 pogos, and each of them to give Keen different score, like for example 5, 10, 15, 20, 25..?
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

No; rather that you could make 10 tiles set as 'pogo' with tileinfo--but each pogo would look different and would be used for a different 'edible' wall.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ok, yeah, that I knew. :)

Could there be any way to toggle off the sound that comes when you grab pogo?
CommanderSpleen

Woah. So simple, yet so cool!

No; rather that you could make 10 tiles set as 'pogo' with tileinfo--but each pogo would look different and would be used for a different 'edible' wall.
Aahh... that's brilliant! It took me a moment to understand, though.

Since the pogo gives no score, there's no patching required to make these edible walls.

I'm gonna use that in my mod!

Some possible uses I just thought of:
o Tiles disguised as the floor, but causing Keen to drop to some lower level if he walks on them.
o Mazes similar to those in the original Duke Nukem games, except simply walking through the bricks rather than shooting them. (What's the likelihood of a patch to allow actual shootable bricks?)
o Strategically placed platform versions (ie. able to be stood upon) that need to be collected from underneath in order to perhaps cause a boss Vorticon to fall to his doom.

Man, there are so many more possibilities with that simple idea!

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Big LOL! I wonder what I was thinking, I know pogo doesn't give you scores.. :)
Mazes similar to those in the original Duke Nukem games, except simply walking through the bricks rather than shooting them.
When I first time invented that thing, that was exactly the thing came to my mind. :) Ah, good old Nukum.

Good ideas Spleen, I have thought those too.

Like just make something pogo block blocked on the top. And then just make level where Keen has to "break" the floor to lead some vorticon out of somewhere or something. :)
CommanderSpleen

Woo. This idea rocks.

This pogo idea works so well! I'm using it to make entire underground maze levels in Boulderdash style... but with tricky bits where you have to approach the walls from particular directions.

Should make for some great level design... yeehaw.

>Commander Spleen
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

You can also use tileinfo to make certain points change to a foreground "wall" tile, sort of like in Keens 4-6

(Well, you can if you can get tileinfo to work. *kicks computer*)