Bananasauros v1.2 and DX level critique

Discussion and analysis of graphics, story, levels, and so on.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Since you're getting rid of the "windows," (since you can have points on that brick background tile now,) you should definitely consider some kind of detail tile to help spruce things up. Either some cracked/broken tiles, some windows, some hieroglyphs, whatever you want to do--but lemm's point is entirely valid; it's kind of boring/monotonous as it is!

Speaking of which: if you're going to eliminate the "windows," why keep the three at the very top by the entrance?

I almost like the original spike tiles, with the black background, better. Maybe mix the two, so the background fades to black near the spikes? It would definitely help them stand out more.

I like the scarabs you've got hiding in the sand on the new version. :)
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

XkyRauh wrote:Speaking of which: if you're going to eliminate the "windows," why keep the three at the very top by the entrance?
I can kind of understand this, since that part of the pyramid is above ground, and the rest is underground.
However, if that's the case, then shouldn't the two areas to the right have darker background tiles, instead of sky?

I agree on breaking up the monotony. How about some blue and purple objects mixed in? There's quite a lot of yellow and brown.
VikingBoyBilly

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Would heiroglyphs and columns make sense if there aren't any humans to put them there? But this mod was never meant to be logical. I guess the monkeys can draw something.
Draik

Post by Draik »

Advanced dinosaur civilisations did it, obviously.
VikingBoyBilly

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Next Level:

Old -

New -
Draik

Post by Draik »

While the right-to-left-ness of it adds some originality, it's still largely monotonous. Platforms vary little in height, and it's basically just a straight line to the exit.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

I like the platforms as they are, but I'm completely boggled by the point placement. There's no shape, no uniformity, no GLUE to the whole thing. Give us some arcs, give us some shapes, give us some varied height, please!

I like the right half of the level a bit more, because it looks as if you can opt to take the lower dinosaur's back path, or the backtracking plant-top path. The end of the level definitely abandons this, and that's okay, but you need to set us up for it a bit more, either by having the two paths diverge more markedly (get rid of the green dino farthest left) or by making the level a little (not much) taller and asking the player to do a bit more climbing before the cinematic leap down to the exit.

It's a fine example of a side level--the equivalent of the Keen1 domes. :)
VikingBoyBilly

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

XkyRauh wrote:It's a fine example of a side level--the equivalent of the Keen1 domes. :)
It's actually a required level.
VikingBoyBilly

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Long time, no update!
It's long past due to get things rolling again, so here's the next map:

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

I tried to lighten the walkable parts of the cliff to make it more visible, but ended up failing completely. Maybe brown or white would be better color choices, I'll experiment more.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

no real difference level design-wise between A and B here, but B certainly looks a lot smother and cavey with all those slopes.
VikingBoyBilly

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Trying out more ways to highlight the walkable part of cliffs. I think this one's a winner.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B
Draik

Post by Draik »

Those do seem a lot more visible than before.
lemm

Post by lemm »

The cave background could be less blocky...
VikingBoyBilly

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

lemm wrote:The cave background could be less blocky...
Hmm.. how about a third tile of shading in between?
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

I think the concern is mostly about the plain black blocks, which are in stark contrast to the heavily dithered blocks surrounding them. You need some transitions or some other way of fading to black! :)

The rounded cave tiles definitely help give a sense of flow to the levels that wasn't present with the blocky edges, but I can't help feeling concerned about their potential over-use. Don't be afraid to stick a few block edges in here and there, to maintain variety!!