preferred style of level

Discussion and analysis of graphics, story, levels, and so on.

Preffered level type

Maze
6%
Beat-up
6%
Strategy
31%
Perfect-timing
6%
First level
6%
Big room
31%
Combo
13%

Total votes: 16

KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

In Keen 4: He wanted to search the whole area because of the Gnosticine Ancients who were taken in to different places. And there was good spot to land. ;)
In Keen 5: Well, there he would need to destroy some things, and he got in there from that thing (whatever it was, can't remember name).
In Keen 6: Probably because he was on "saving-trip", he wanted to search every place, and didn't want to do "surprise attack", so the best way is move level by level, clearing them down.. :) Plus, there was good land to make a landing in the wilderness on the other side of the river..
Steaver370

Post by Steaver370 »

me's idea on that subject is that he wants to be as far away from the enemy as possible, to, as that previous guy said, perform a stealth attack

As for in Keen 1, don't forget he was just on a fun trip!
Yowza

Post by Yowza »

Keen 1: Yeah, he was on a trip to see the mountains of Mars. Of course, he did land a long way from those mountains...
Keen 2: I'm guessing the only way he could get in without being seen was up the mothership's ass... err... that sounds wrong :P
Keen 3: He didn't know the Grand Intellect was Mort, so a tower with M on it wouldn't help him. I suppose it was still a big tower... And he did land right outside a puny village. But whatever.
Keen 4: He had no idea exactly where the Council Members were.. Had to start somewhere.
Keen 5: Probably the easiest way to get in unnoticed.
Keen 6: He didn't actually know where Molly was. Of course, he really should have looked near the big cities, but he would have drawn attention to himself if he flew the BWB over a major city. Going by ground would have been a lot easier.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Huh, good point of Ilsoap's there ... never thought of that. And yeah, in Keen 5, he got in through a ventilation duct thing (the first level's called Ion Ventilation System) by way of his Attatch-a-Ray (I think that's what it's called).
XkyRauh

re: Attach-a-ray

Post by XkyRauh »

I don't think the ray Keen used to get into the Omegamatic is ever mentioned specifically. I always thought it was just a generic tractor beam--but someone with fast access to the Keen5.exe would be the best answer. I can't check it from work! ;-)

But yeah, I'd always said that half the fun of Keen was that he's smart enough to trust his life in the hands of others (i.e. us!)... that's one advantage he's got over Mort.

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

*after some clicking*
Ah, there it is..
Keen 5 story, page 4/4:
This episode finds Keen in stealth mode, sneaking his Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket up to the Omegamatic. Securing his Attach-O-Ray to an exhaust port, Keen enters the Omegamatic and begins his most dangerous adventure yet!
Woah, that sounds more fun than real life, at least to me! ;)
Yes, there really wasn't much about that mysterious item. Dunno what it is..
XkyRauh

re: Attach-O-Ray

Post by XkyRauh »

Man... now that Flaose is no longer around to slap me everytime I make a false statement, KeenRush steps up--with a direct quote from Keen5, no less! :-) I was wrong AGAIN! But I can't believe they'd actually call it the "Attach-O-Ray." It just sounds too corny! *laughs*

As far as first levels go, Keen5's is smaller than 6's and 4's... 4's is the biggest, isn't it? Keen6's takes the longest to go through with 100% completion though--for me anyway.

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Heh, maybe it was meant to be corny. :)
Yes.. I think you're right about that Keen 4 levels thing. They are big. And because most of the levels are in nature under the cyan sky, it adds the feeling of big areas.