DISCUSSION: Keen 1 level design

Discussion and analysis of graphics, story, levels, and so on.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

This level is important to have, because it is the first of the Dome levels--it establishes the domes as a mysterious, isolated environment.

The first level put Keen in a bright, open, colorful environment full of points and animated creatures. This little dome takes all that away--it is a dark, empty, barren place.

I have to admit I'm not thrilled about the lack of a border on the left/right sides of the screen (although I think this is appropriate for making the player feel smaller/more vulnerable) I think the lone spotlight and the cascading shade below are fantastic mood-setters. :)

A level like this being short but mysterious is advantageous for two reasons:
1) Players who just want to beat the game and don't care about the back story or motivations of a character can do exactly that--a few jumps and they get a big fatty "DONE" tile. Cheers!
2) Players who enjoy the exploration and atmosphere of a game can wonder what the heck these Yorp statues are getting at--it makes the game seem deeper than it actually is. :)

Having the first "dome" level be extremely short and isolated also lets the player know that, in the long run, they have bigger fish to fry. If they see a dome level on the map, chances are it'll be optional and not crucial to their task. Useful information!
Mink

Post by Mink »

I actually like this level a fair bit; it serves its purpose well. Aside from informing the player that those signs in level 1 contain actual letters rather than just random designs, the yorp message implies that the player may get to decipher and learn SGA at some point. This gives the player something to look forward to.

The lack of danger enables the player to practice controlling Keen without any penalty for poor control.

In addition, this level is quite atmospheric. The darkness lends a mysterious quality, as do the lamps at the top. I like how the blocks which touch the light are brighter than the ones that don't.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

I find these levels a refreshing reminder that we don't need to make every level a nerve-wrenching challenge in order to engage the player. Sometimes it's important to provide a walk in the park, even if it is at night.

The extra punishment-free practise idea is a good point. Actually, I might see about using that idea...
Flyingmouse

Post by Flyingmouse »

The message in this level is not very helpful
Maybe they created this for the sole purpose of introducing the statues?

But I agree, this level is blank compared to other levels in the game.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I don't know, I think the message has several important functions.

* It introduces the statue and makes sure you realize it doesn't kill you, and can offer you advice later on.

* It introduces SGA, now you know what those signs are... but what do they MEAN?

* It's the start of the in-game story.
dreams

Post by dreams »

I love this thread, it's great to look at all those details and think about what they mean, even though you've played those levels hundreds of times :)

Shall we continue with level 3?
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Of course.

There are two tall stacks of cylindars and two small ones. This level is very open and point-filled with a few blind drops.

Should you be able to get an extra life in one level?
Should the Vorticon be able to jump off into oblivion?
Is a teddy bear worth blasting a Garg? Should less points be in this room?

All for now,
>>FLEEXY<<
Draik

Post by Draik »

The Vorticon being able to jump off means that more cunning players can take a different approach - let the Vorticon jump to his doom, and save 4-odd pistol shots. Not a lot of saved shots, but every one counts. Also, you have to use an alternative tactic at the end of the game. Letting the player possibly figure out that there are alternatives to blasting the crap out of everything could be useful.

Ok, so honestly I never really thought about the fact the Vorticon could jump off.
dreams

Post by dreams »

i always used to make the vorticon jump of the platform as i didn't know that you could kill it with four shots. i always waited for the first two yorps to fall down too.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

I love that there are multiple paths to the exit, and so much optional stuff to explore. This level is just... cosy.
dreams

Post by dreams »

yeah it's a great level that introduces a little bit of danger, withouth being too difficult.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

Should you be able to get an extra life in one level?
Depends on the likelihood of dying in the process of attaining it. Take the secret level in keen1 for instance, even a moderately good player could clock up infinite lives in it; level 3 is a beginners level in comparison, with much more effort needed to get the extra life.
Should the Vorticon be able to jump off into oblivion?
The vorticon can jump off the map in level 4. I mastered the technique of luring it offscreen early in my keening career. By blocking it in in level 3, the observant opportunist is not absolved of the task of vorticide but is rewarded somewhat by completing level 4 on less ammo.
Should less points be in this room?
No... points make you feel good. Playing Keen makes you feel good. See a connection?
This level is very open
Imho, an open level design signifies an open-minded level designer... i.e. the opposite of benvolio.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I love level design so *bump*

Open level design like in this level is something that I've long admired and tried to imitate, but its actually very difficult. In order to do a good job of it, you need to have incredibly large levels, and its difficult to make large levels and not lose track of what you're doing in a given level.

I like open level design because it creates and maintains a certain sense of exploration and discovery, which I think is one of the main themes of a game like Commander Keen. I tend to think Tulip seems to do a really good job at these kinds of levels. I don't really know how he does it, but its something I'd love to emulate.

My levels (at least as of late) tend to be pretty linear, with little secret areas or bonus areas strewn about. I really like my level design style, but I think it would be good for me to throw in more open levels from time to time.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

I think it's critical to point out that the hazards in the level are rather limited in number. There are two Gargs in enclosed areas, one Vorticon near the exit, and just ten Pat-Pats, four of which are paired in sets of two.

There are only five single-tile platforms in the level, four of which are against a wall; there is very little demand for extreme accuracy in a player's jumps.

Similarly, look at the point distribution. There's a lone Teddy Bear in a spot that isn't immediately obvious, and another tucked away in an area that's tricky to access. Two books lurk in corners of the level (one of which seems to be an apologetic effort to make up for the lack of points around the Pat-Pats), and there are just three slices of pizza. Everything else in the level is clumps of 100- and 200-point items! :)

The last thing I like is the consistency with which the point items are placed. Lollipops are either hovering one tile above a platform, stuck to the ceiling, filling in a cubby-hole, or outlining a player's path. Pepsi cans, by comparison, frequently lay directly on the ground, unless they're part of a larger directive structure. The only thing that doesn't go along with this consistency is the piece of pizza floating in the air near the start of the level.

What makes this entire level work, in my opinion, is the pacing of it. From the start, we see points that aren't immediately accessible. Questing for them, we see other points that aren't immediately accessible. As our familiarity with the level grows, we're never given TOO MUCH new information at one time--Imagine, if you would, that the level started with Keen immediately above the Garg next to the Teddy Bear. What kind of direction would that provide?! :)
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

*Bump!*

On to level 4...

- The enemies are very sparse, only 10 (2 dangerous) in this huge level.
- This level is huge but easy. If I made a level with this size it would most likely turn out insanely difficult and complex.
- The Vorticon can walk off to his demise. Should dealing with Vorticons be this easy?
- Those Lollipops in the corner are trememdously hard to get but only a tiny amount of points. Should there be more valuable point items farther into the triangle?
- This could very easily (and probably) be done before level 3. Therefore, it could be the first time players see a Garg. Should it be given a more interesting space in which to experiment with it? Currently it just walks around.
- There is a large optional area under the Yellow Key. It gives a good place to experiment with Yorps.
- The Yorps in the Yellow Key corridor can be very annoying.