ADVICE REQUEST: Title Screen

Discussion and analysis of graphics, story, levels, and so on.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

(about finale.txt) I think I'll be able to figure it out by looking at a %dump of keen1.exe ...
XkyRauh

re: title screen

Post by XkyRauh »

the SGA is difficult to make out only because the image is small on your resolution--keep in mind that when you play the game, that 320x200 image is going to be FULL SCREEN. it's quite easy to make out--the letters are identical in size to the lettering on the "THIS IS NEAT" signs in Keen1-3.

the teal zippers... any advice on how to get them looking better? maybe some shading?

Yowza--tell me more. what did i change that you don't like? how can i make it more appealing? i want this mod to be good :-)

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

What one earth are the teal zippers?!
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

I generally prefered the one Yowza liked, too, but I liked the title area of your newest one better. If you took the top title area of your newest one, and kept the rest the same from number 4, I think that would be my favorite.
XkyRauh

re: TItle Screen Final

Post by XkyRauh »

Alright, then--based on all feedback to this point, I'm about ready to call this my FINAL Title Screen:

Last chance for comments, questions, and changes!
Also, for the record, here's a clarification on the Teal Zipper thing.

In the background of title5, you may have noticed something like this:

This was a reduction of the in-game graphics for the same thing, which are:

I was attempting to add more depth to title5 by putting some scraps of imaginary level far in the background. I'm surprised you guys were able to understand that they were indeed zippers! Kudos!
That about wraps things up for me... Title Screen's done--lots more left to do! :-P

--Xky
Yowza

Post by Yowza »

The target's looking a little... Strange. Kinda wonky or something. Unless it's meant to be like that...

Other than that though, it's nice :)
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

It does look a little un-circular, but it definitely seems to be in the picture far more than the original target. Overall, I reckon it's a pretty cool title screen.
JosephBurke

Something like, splotch for green.

Post by JosephBurke »

Wow, that's an unbelievable improvement from the original.

A little strange, but I just noticed, Keen has three green splotches on the side of his helmet, is this a replacement for the usual green G?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

It isn't Keen's (brother's) helmet without G!
XkyRauh

re: Splotches

Post by XkyRauh »

Joseph, when's the last time you played Keen: Galaxy and Aliens?? Check the title screens on those games; Keen doesn't have a G on his helmet there, either!! :-)

--Xky
XkyRauh

re: Title Screen 6

Post by XkyRauh »

Okay, I updated it one last time -- the target is now much more round and 'normal' looking, and the floor on the right was changed back to blue. This is my final revision!

Also, it seems that 3 pages is about as long as a topic can get and still sustain interest in this forum :-) Good to know!

I hope more people post threads like this, asking for opinions and advice... That's how truly great things are made. I'm really looking forward to your guys' stuff. From what I've learned in this thread, my Keen2 mod is going to blow my Keen1 mod out of the water!

--Xky
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

My intensely critical review of your final and heretofore permanent and unchangeable design for your title screen is as follows:

Cool!

I like it. My only suggestion is that perhaps you should scrap the whole thing and redraw it from scratch.

*beaned on the side of the head with a can of Vorti-Cola*

Hey, cut that out Xky! That was sarcastic humor!

*beaned with another can*

All right, all right, sorry!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ah, perfect now! :)
Quirky Moron

Post by Quirky Moron »

To be honest , I prefered this one: