Vorticons Levels: RLEW on the header?

Tools, assembly, and file formats.
Dr. Kylstein

Vorticons Levels: RLEW on the header?

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Does the RLEW apply to the entire file after the size, or is the header always uncompressed? Is there a definitive answer?
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

FleexCore doesn't support RLEW in the header and it's handled every level I've thrown at it, so I'm going to say that the header is always uncompressed.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Fleexy wrote:FleexCore doesn't support RLEW in the header and it's handled every level I've thrown at it, so I'm going to say that the header is always uncompressed.
My current code unRLEW's the header, and it also works with all the existing levels I've tried. If no repeated values or 0xFEFE's occur, the data would be the same in either mode.
levellass

Post by levellass »

The entire level is\can be RLEW compressed, it is decompressed into memory *before* the header is read. Possibly I should have noted this on the modding wiki page.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

I recall Keen 2-3 levels often having compression in the header for a series of eight or so bytes. Always safest to apply it to the entire file.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

I seem to recall that later versions of my Mindbelt level editor compresses the whole file - header + tile data + sprite data - as one contiguous thing, and keen can load the levels fine.