Assembly?

Tools, assembly, and file formats.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Assembly?

Post by Fleexy »

Would someone please point me toward a good tutorial on assembly? I've searched the Internet and I can't find anything that makes sense to me... I have a tiny bit of a pretty nice patch, but I think I'll need to know assembly to complete it. Help? Also, do you know of a good assembler/disassembler?
Mink

Post by Mink »

Lemm always recommends The Art of Assembly, which I've found to be wonderfully informative.

There's also the complete instruction set reference which also contains the opcode maps, which are useful.

IDA is freeware nowadays, and it's served me well. As for an assembler, I've had good results with tasm, which is what Lemm used for Netkeen if I'm not mistaken. There's also masm, Microsoft's assembler, which I don't think should give you any issues and is what AoA recommends.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Alright, thanks. Art of Assembly (online version) is totally unreadable on my computer. Is there anything else or a downloadable version of AoA?
Mink

Post by Mink »

Yeah, the online version is ... not good. That link should've brought you to the download page, though - did you try downloading either the pdf or the html versions?
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Got it, thanks! I don't quite understand bit-shifting, but I'm working my way through it.
lemm

Post by lemm »

http://www.arl.wustl.edu/~lockwood/clas ... m/toc.html

You can also get the online version here, but the PDF version is better, and it comes with appendices and exercises.

Also make sure you download the companion software, as it's a good resource.