Ahhh.. GARG.

Tools, assembly, and file formats.
thehackercat

Ahhh.. GARG.

Post by thehackercat »

This is a Carmackization problem. For all of you out there who've probably experienced something like this a billion times, this is for you.

I've been neglecting to use Instant Carma for a while, in favor of simply turning up my DosBox cycles all the way and slow-Carmacizing in about 2 minutes. No messy clean-up afterwards, and all's well... right?

Wrong. It seems that after I made a minor change to the Ion Ventilation System (I added a SpiroGrip for graphics testing), and Carmacised the entire episode, it didn't work.

Here's WHAT IS HAPPENING: I can open Go5.bat and run smoothly all the way up to the map screen. I walk up to the first level and "Keen investigates the Ion Ventilation System." Then the screen goes blank.

Worse still, I TRIED using IC, but now NOTHING will come up after the difficulty select. I'm uploading my KeenWeb folder to Mediafire; here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?mcinnnk0lmk

P.S. How do I apply for a PCKF storage thing? Mediafire is getting tedious..
levellass

Post by levellass »

I'll say it again, Dropbox rules.

Also, BACK UP YOUR LEVELS. At least once a day or after a major editing binge. (Dropbox allows you to reverse the latest changes on any file stored on it.)

Also, TED5 has a 'copy maps' option. If you put some maps in another folder and set the path in TED5 to it, you can replace any edited map with the same map from that folder. Good if you change a level and can't find the error. It's the first thing I do when I can't figure out what's gone wrong.

Also, what is it with these .OBJ files? Can't people use the MAPHEAD?

Wait...

Your patch file does not even have the maphead patched. No wonder your levels didn't work! In the first case the map level was unedited (Unaffected) but the first level was changed, and IC changes ALL the levels, so you couldn't get past the difficulty screen. The patch file you want is:

Code: Select all

%ext ck5

# Load the modified graphics
%egahead EGAHEAD.CK5

# Load modified maps:
%maphead maphead.ck5

%end
thehackercat

Post by thehackercat »

Oh.... My God. Once again, I've enlisted the help of people smarter than me only to find that I could have found the problem myself if I had payed attention.. :B Thanks!
gerstrong

Post by gerstrong »

That carmack stuff is really a pain. I was thinking about creating a real carmack program. CG can also already uncarmack just fine, I imagine you want to pack with carmack. If I hadn't much to do with CG I would have written a fast tool that could do carmack without Dosbox.