Multi-User Graphics and Level Editing

Tools, assembly, and file formats.
CommanderSpleen

Multi-User Graphics and Level Editing

Post by CommanderSpleen »

During January, I started work on a multi-user level editor, tearing the code from Vortlev and making it function in a client-server environment across multiple platforms. It's come a long way in that short time, and works surprisingly well besides a poignant lack of polish.

I'm finding that my efforts keep being delayed by several things, most notably, reinventing a GUI and input system from scratch and the many bugs this entails, and dealing with the level file format. So I've put the project aside for now in order to concentrate on finishing my mods.

Instead of picking it back up in its current form at some point, an even better idea has come to mind. A Qt-based approach (or a similar toolkit) would be far more effective, and allow us to quickly get the basic functionality under way so we can focus on features. I can manage the low-level stuff like network code and level manipulation routines, but someone(s) else would be required to create the GUI and its messaging system, and [at least pseudo] code for saving/loading the level files.

In addition, it would be awesome to give it graphic editing features, essentially replicating the best features of programs like MS Paint, Paint Shop Pro and Kolourpaint. Both the level and graphic editing functions would also be able to operate in purely single-user mode, so it would solve a lot of problems for a lot of Keeners, at the very least. We can even make it support Keen 4-6 and Dreams levels, given a generic enough interface.

Is anyone willing to lend their skills to such an undertaking in the nearish future? I know it's an ambitious idea, but we definitely have the collective skill to make it happen. And with the major interface and file format hurdles out of the way, my own efforts can be far more significant.

(The topic number says this is a good idea.)
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

The topic number is right, this is an amazing idea. Imagine how much easier collabs would be with something like this.
The CKCM would actually get finished!
levellass

Post by levellass »

If you could find anyone to do levels. This community is terrible at them.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

I'll do levels!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Have you seen my topic on he PCKF then? I have the tilesets and everything all done.

http://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=1022
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Even Genius314 thinks it's an amazing idea!