Wrong music plays when rescuing council memeber

Request patches for Keens 4-6.
55Aavenue

Wrong music plays when rescuing council memeber

Post by 55Aavenue »

Hey there all, new to the forums and working on my first galaxy mod of Keen 4.

Anyway all has been going well so far but I am having one minor issue regarding music. I replaced 2 of the orginal songs with new songs using Abiathar's built in audio exporting/importing feature, and also mapped out which song I want to play in each level with Abiathar's song mapping.

That all worked fine, levels are all playing what I want them to, but since doing this it is now playing one of the new musics when you rescue a council member, this has me confused because this new song replaced chunk 160, which is not the orcacle song (fanfare is chunk161 i think, which i did not modify) so I'm rather confused by this. The fanfare song still works if I map it to a level. Im assuming something in abiathar's automatic patch it does when you use its audio mapping has thrown this off but I cant figure out how to fix it.

Any help or insight is appreciated! Thank you!
levellass

Re: Wrong music plays when rescuing council memeber

Post by levellass »

Alright, so the problem here is how the Oracle Member's music works. It plays the same song as a LEVEL and this is set to -1 in the game which basically sets it to 'the last song file we have'. You may find that the High Scores, which also uses this value, is likewise messed up AND talking to Princess Lindsey.

The easiest way to fix this is to add some extra song options onto the end of the default level list (Abithar should leave this alone unless you have more than the usual number of levels.) This patch does that:

Code: Select all

#New song entries
%patch $6C1E  $03D2W
%patch $8CA4  $16
%Patch $2F22C $0005W #High scores
              $0005W #Lindsey
              $0005W #Oracle

#Make game use new entries
%patch $F107 $0013W #Talking to Lindsey
%patch $F4CA $0014W #Talking to Ancient
This has the bonus in that you can, if you wish, change the music played for the Oracle or Lindsey so that it differs.
troublesomekeen

Post by troublesomekeen »

Oof. If you're on music already, you must be doing pretty well! Welcome to the forums, 55Aavenue!
55Aavenue

Post by 55Aavenue »

@levellass : This was super helpful thanks! I did have to add more music slots in abiathar's song mapping section because at first abiathar's auto music patch was condraticting the first part of your patch, but once I came to my senses lol and figured out the obvious, this worked like a charm!

@troublesomekeen : Thanks for the welcome. My first galaxy creation is coming along nicely thanks to all the information I found in these forums. It is nearly completed!
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

oh wow!
I wasn't aware that Abiathar could handle music at all. anyways, you've mentioned the forums but you also know our wiki, don't you?! there is this whole patching section with nearly everything you need: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Category:Patches but of course besides that feel free to ask any modding related questions here in the forums as well.

BTW, Welcome to the forums, 55Aavenue!
I'm looking forward to news regarding your first mod.
55Aavenue

Post by 55Aavenue »

Thanks Nisaba, yes the Keen wiki has been an invaluable resource! I've gotten a bunch of patches from it.