i want to begin to learn mapping for the galaxy engine and i need someone to support me!

Request patches for Keens 4-6.
darkdave1985

i want to begin to learn mapping for the galaxy engine and i need someone to support me!

Post by darkdave1985 »

hey to everyone,

i want to start to learn mapping for keen galaxy. especially keen 4, because i like this the most. i don't know with which program i should try to begin. i would say, either the omegamatic or abiathar. but i would rather say abiathar because it's easier to work with and you can do more things with it, am i right with this? however, i watched some "fleexy" abiathar videos on youtube but it's very hard for me to understand everything in that speed on english and so it gets pretty hard for me to keep up with the sense of every step. apart from this, i read some manuals for mapping here on the page or on the wiki but just a little bit, because it's also on english everything and it's just too much for me. the reason for all this is, i'm in no good condition right now in my life and so everything gets pretty hard, even the easiest things. so the best thing that could happen to me, is that somebody could help me from scratch in mapping. also step by step, from the basics to the more complicated things and so on. at best on german, because this is my mother tongue. if somebody is out there who speaks german (or also english of course) and would be so nice to help me, just contact me here on the forum. i just absolutely don't have the stamina, for doing everything by myself the normal way like others can do it. it would be a neverending story and it would take way too much power and time, which i both just don't have anymore. if somebody wants to help me with abiathar and everything else that is needed, to start learning mapping from zero for the galaxy engine, i would appreciate that very much. i just need someone to start with everything slowly, one by one. and then we will see, how everything works. thanks for reading, and if somebody wants to help or have tips for me let me know!

djd
levellass

Re: i want to begin to learn mapping for the galaxy engine and i need someone to support me!

Post by levellass »

I'm not so sure on the German part (Does anyone know where Shikadi-Netzwerk hangs out?) but I can at least try with a from-the-basics guide. (And can at least understand German.) People here will be all too happy to help too.
darkdave1985

Re: i want to begin to learn mapping for the galaxy engine and i need someone to support me!

Post by darkdave1985 »

thanks for writing back. it's not indispensable to speak on german. it would be just easier for me, because my english is not that good. so, if someone speaks german then it's good, but when not it's also no big problem. i just need someone for all the beginner things first, from step 1 and then to the next important things and so on and if you are want to help me, i would appreciate that. how should we start with everything? and i would say abiathar is easier to start and work with as with omegamatic or? however, please just tell me how we could work together and what's your own opinion about starting mapping and how you would do it in my case. thanks!

djd
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

hey there djd and welcome to the forums,

To get started I'd suggest to read this step by step Tutorial first. It's really basic and should help you getting things started: Keen Galaxy Modding Tutorial
Yeah, I know... It contains a ton of information. but unfortunately modding is a lengthy business. But guess what? We all started from scratch. Depending on what you are up to, you could start with very basic tasks and do things one step at the time.

If you are interested, I could put together a ready-to-use setup for you. with this test bunch you can get used to Abiathar a bit. the best thing might be to simply test all the features via trail and error. it might take some time until you'll get used to it, but it's totally worth it.

On the other hand it's often suggested to start you modding career with the Vorticons series. It's way easier to get started with.
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

of course everyone started from scratch and it's generally not so easy to learn mapping, that's logical but in my case it's something totally different. what i wrote in my first comment and what i tried to said with it, is that i have not the average mind and stamina to learn the normal way, like most of all others can do it because i'm not healthy. i wouldn't need so much helping at all, if everything would be more or less normal in my life. and so give me some time and i will try to work with this manual you showed me and i also will work with fleexy's youtube videos. i did these things all before from time to time, but i always gave up after a while because it was just too much for me alone in my condition. and so i thought, that i will search for another kind of help here in the forum. but first i will think about everything and then i will make my finally decision to start mapping serious once for all to 100% or not. if anyone have also other tips for me to start mapping, just let me know!
levellass

Post by levellass »

If it helps I can link you to a game that is set up for mapping, using Abithar (That I think is the best mapper.) This can be used as a 'base' so you don't have to go to all the trouble of setting up all the programs.

Then we can just work here on making a basic level, I can add pictures of the program to show. Once you can make a simple level everything should go fine with making more.
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

thanks, that would be nice if you could do so!
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

hey levellass,

can you please link me now to this game as you said, were everything is finely adjusted in abiathar? and do i need another program except of this or not for the start? because there are so many tools, so many this and that.

thanks!
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

real brief: It really depends on what you want to do. every tool has a purpose. I would suggest to start with something basic. here is a list of things you can choose from. just pic one and I'll tell you, what tool you would need.
  • Change the layout of a level map a tiny bit (for e.g. add a couple of candies)
  • Change the colour of the sprites (for e.g. make the Bounder look blue instead of red)
  • Change an in-game text (for e.g. Keen enters the Paradise)

when you've made your decision I (or Levellass) will send you a ready to start setup.
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

best i would try to change a pre-existing level a little bit. put in monsters and items, how to the change the background, how to work with switches and lifts, doors and so on. one by one, step by step. just the basics at first and then we will see.
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

so, let's get started.

just download and unzip this package. https://www.dropbox.com/s/9u5zcxf2v2c10 ... p.zip?dl=1

next up, drag & drop the file called DarkDave.adeps onto abiathar.exe.
This will start a ready-to-go set up for mapping.

I would suggest to check out all features of this tool (check all drop down menus and so on). I think it's a good idea to just get used to it a bit, before we actually start modding.
Last edited by Nisaba on Sun May 06, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

thanks, i will do so. i try to check out so much as possible, to get the best possible overview of the program.
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

let's start with some basic tasks, shall we?!

open up Abiathar like described in my previous post.
click the "Level" menu (1) and select a level of your choice (2). I'd recommend starting with "Border Village".

Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

The section to the right (A) shows the games tilesets. you can switch between different tileset layers by pressing the number keys 7, 8 or 9 on your keyboard.
7 = background,
8 = foreground,
9 = sprites/Infoplane

for a start press 8 and scroll down with your mouse until you'll find the point items seen in the picture below.
with a left mouse click choose one of these point items.
the selected point item will now be shown on the bottom left. move your mouse towards that area (B).

at the moment all layers (Background, Foreground, Infoplane) are activated. as we only up to add a foreground item (a Coke for eg) we want to deactivate the other layers. to do so, press the numbers 1 and 3 on you keyboard. as a result only the foreground layer is activated.

finally we can modify the level map by adding a couple of point items. click wherever you want to add candies and stuff (C).
if you are not happy with your tweaks you can always press Z on your keyboard to undo things.

Last edited by Nisaba on Tue May 08, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

great, now let's test these tweaks in game!
Save your tweaks (X). Exit out of Abiathar. Drag&Drop the play.bat (Y) onto the DosBox item. Enter level one and tataa! your first lil modification! awesome, isn't it!?!