Keen 4 - Oracle Janitor, Dort patch (updating), second skypest, unused Keen sprite, Council Page

Request patches for Keens 4-6.
szemigi

Re: Keen 4 - Oracle Janitor, Dort patch (updating), second skypest, unused Keen sprite, Council Page

Post by szemigi »

The original Janitor windows are not needed yes?
Yeah, that's why I said 'costume window + text'. And I also said the Janitor will be the 9th member, who has to be rescued. (So that's why a 9th member icon appears either on the status screen or on the high score screen IN ALL CASES after rescuing the Janitor. And be very careful, because it also means that under the 'RESCUED' there is a plus 9th black rectangular! If you get what I mean.) I hope the new, costume Janitor chat window+text won't interfere or break anything or in my mod as I want to leave ALL things untouched, even the F10 cheats! If you get what I mean.
So write a code for the costume chat window and its text. :)
The Janitor will be just like the other council members? This is important for the council page stuff.
The Janitor behaves as a normal Oracle Member, because it's the 9th member, who has to be rescued. :)
szemigi

Re: Keen 4 - Oracle Janitor, Dort patch (updating), second skypest, unused Keen sprite, Council Page

Post by szemigi »

I copied the Shikadi Soda sprites to 302 and 303. And what happened?

Good thing: I successfully copied the Soda to 302 and 303. That's okay.
Bad thing: The Skypest2's death sprite is a Shikadi Soda (sprite 302 or 303, I don't know concretely). What is this? You will need to fix it.

(Also, don't forget the Council Page requests either from my first post.)
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

@Szemigi
kindly I'd like to ask you, to lower your "writing voice". huge bold red letters pretty much give the impression of demanding and shouting at people. I'm sure your intention was to only underline and stress a certain argument. you might even be a bit impatient. time... such a scarce and fugitive item, isn't it?!

just remember: we are all nice people around here. there is no need for yelling at each other. if you could, you maybe want to consider using a more moderate diction.
All in best means. I'm sure you'll understand my point.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

What you are talking about? It is just the important part of my request I marked with bold/red and simply bold font.
I'm not yelling, I'm patient. So then don't know what you are talking about. (Last day I was impatient, but that's an other theme.)

I'm nice, too, but after all I recommend you to read my posts in this topic. Levellass is working on them, I'm patient.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

Levellass, 1 more problem:

The Dort sprite is okay, but pointless as when the Dort goes to the left, it has only 1 walking frame, but when it walks to the right it has 2 walking frames. Fix it, please. :)
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

@Szemigi:
I know that you are not yelling. big letters just give this impression, even if you don't mean them that way. that's why I was asking you in the first place, only to prevent unnecessary misunderstandings.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

Nisaba wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:13 pm @Szemigi:
I know that you are not yelling. big letters just give this impression, even if you don't mean them that way. that's why I was asking you in the first place, only to prevent unnecessary misunderstandings.
After I explained that the big letters are not meant be yelling, then everybody - who reads it - will know it. So there's no misunderstanding after all.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Aaah this is the problem with not working on the mod directly, small errors creep in that you do not notice since you do not have the complete mod. THIS update fixes the Dort and Skypest 2 (You said you just wanted it to fall down when shot, yes?)

This also adds the ninth member's message, but I'll need to know what level he's in (Since the different members, like the underwater one are triggered by what level they are in.) In the version here there are two 'special' levels, the underwater elder in level 17 and the janitor in level 18 ($12, BWB rocket) You'll probably want to change that.

Update here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpybu4za9v4dr ... z.PAT?dl=0

And this is the patch code I added:

Code: Select all

#################
#Council	#
#################

#Member just stands
%patch $30E28 $0164W $0164W $0000W $0000W $0000W $000AW $0000W $0000W
              $00000000L    $11A205C1RL   $09DC1795RL   $1FB8W

#What wins game (Default 8 members)
%patch $6AE4  $7A5EW  $09 $74

#Allow 3 lvl messages -delete dec, carry over data
%patch $F511 $11 #Underwater elder level
%patch $F513 $05 $B8 $1D43W  $EB $0F $83 $3E $A7EDW  $12 $75 $05 $B8 $40B7W  $EB $03
             $B8 $1DA7W  $50 $9A $19310EBDRL     $9A $1D060A9BRL
%patch $F53E $04	 #Dec 1 more to remove carried over data

#Message -40B7
%patch $32F27 "Oh thank you so much" $0A
              "for rescuing me!" $0A
              "The Shikadi must" $0A
              "pay for kidnapping us!" $00

#Keen's reply
%patch $F586 $184CW #Location of text pointer list
%patch $306BC $1C01W #First reply
              $1C22W #Second reply
              $1C43W #Third...
              $1C50W
              $1C90W
              $1CA3W
              $1CD4W
              $1CFBW #Eighth reply
              $4105W #Ninth reply (Janitor)

#Text
%patch $32F75 "Ah, you are the janitor" $0A
              "of the High Council." $0A
              "Let's both go back" $0A
              "quickly." $00

#Change END to give 8 members
%patch $913B $0008W

Do not worry, I have a list of all your requests and should be able to do all of them.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

I found 2 more mistakes that must be fixed:

1. When I press E+N+D, the normal Council's text (I mean the usual text 'I'll return to the Oracle chamber immediately", etc.) appears instead of the costume text, BUT Keen's costume text appears.
Please, fix it, so I want the last Council (the Janitor)'s costume text to appear after pressing E+N+D.

In-short (after telling the mistake): This Council text appears after pressing E+N+D ->

"Oh thank you so much"
"for rescuing me!"
"The Shikadi must"
"pay for kidnapping us!"

(This appears since he is the last - and 9th member - to be rescued.)

2. The second Skypest has an own death sprite. It would be 4SPR0361.BMP, because the Oracle members stand, so they don't move, that's why I want 4SPR0361.BMP to be the Skypest2's death sprite (NOTE: No matter it flies left or right, when I shoot it, the 4SPR0361.BMP appears as death sprite for Skypest2.)

I know you know it, but I hope you noted my whole Council Page request.

As for the 9th member, the Janitor will be in Level 23 as I'm using extra levels. It means Level 23 is the last level and 24 is the High Score level. (There'll be no BWB level, only the rocket tile will be there, except you cannot enter it, but that's minor).

QUESTION: I told you yesterday that I want a +9th black little rectangular for the status screen under the 'RESCUED' (which shows that you have to rescue the 9th member as well) and a +9th grey tile for the High Scores screen (which shows that you rescued 9 members). Is this patch possible to make? If so, in what form? Tell me.
levellass

Post by levellass »

It is not possible to make the death frame of the Skypest-2 sprite 361, this is a sprite far away from the other Skypest animations and was one reason I was using a flag sprite for its death. This update should fix that, and it also alters the status window for 9 members and makes the Janitor level 23: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpybu4za9v4dr ... z.PAT?dl=0

It is not possible to make END show the Janitor's text only, it shows the text of the member to be rescued in that level. In the original game you will see that it shows the underwater elder in the well for example. This cannot really be changed.

I have tried giving the Skypest 2 a flag death animation, sprite 304, does this work for you?
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

Testing, but a question:

*What about the Council Page patch? Because in the pat file I saw you started it.
I refer to this besides the file:

#################
#Council Page #
#################

#Council Page activates whenever in level

Are you working on it? (Just slowly, right?)

EDIT: In the first level I pressed 2+A+Enter (as far as I remember, I was on the top of the Dort or what) the game crashed. And it happened 1 times for me as it works now. Was it an odd and/or random bug or what?

EDIT 2: Skypest 2 death sprite works. How can I handle the stun stars patch, btw? (The stars above its head I mean.)

EDIT 3: * 4SPR0241.BMP is the unused door from Keen Dreams, left in Keen 4. Can you use 4SPR0241.BMP for the Council Page? Because I want 1 sprite for the Council Page. And if you finish all the Council Page coding, patch codes and texts, etc. for it, then tell me where his code is in TOM.

EDIT 4: I tested the 'Moon 2' tile property, but when I wanted to jump on this tile, it acts like a conveyor property. It means I jumped onto the Moon 2 tile and Keen slipped and fell away.

EDIT 5: The Dort is spinning again! I changed the Dort sprite sizes to 80 x 16. Then I used Keengraph to import them, then - like I said - the Dort spinned in the air. Please: Tell me how to fix it in segments, because this spinning enemy sprite problem is getting on my nerves. I also tried the spawn height for the Oracle member (since the Dort sprites replaces 4 of the Oracle member sprites - concretely from 4SPR0357.bmp to 4SPR0360.BMP), but that didn't help either. Help!
levellass

Post by levellass »

The Page patches are coming along, I'm just being pushed to finish another mod's patches which is slowing things.

1.) Does it ALWAYS happen on the Dort? If not it's probably a random bug.

2.) Try these patches (Put one at a time at the bottom of the patch file) and tell me which one looks best. I can't test these myself since I don't have the Skypest2's sprites: (I think patch #5 is the one that might work best.)

#Sky2 stun patch 1:
%patch $3DB1 $0005W

#Sky2 stun patch 2:
%patch $3DB1 $0008W

#Sky2 stun patch 3:
%patch $3DB1 $000CW

#Sky2 stun patch 4:
%patch $3DB1 $0010W

#Sky2 stun patch 5:
%patch $3DB1 $0012W

#Sky2 stun patch 6:
%patch $3DB1 $0013W

3.) That's what I'm working with, I wanted to make his code the square after the 'H' square. (Above the yellow gem, below the poison slug.)

4.) Yesm the moon 2 property is just a test at the moment, to make sure that you could use the new property text thing I sent. I will add a proper mooning 2 behavior once I'm sure exactly what you want it to do. You want it to be 3 actions, yes? Like the first mooning behavior? Keen-sized sprites? Which images?

5.) The Dort is not related tot he Oracle, changing its sprite height will NOT change that Dort's. The DORT'S sprite height is in this code:

#Dort's spawn
%patch $3D27 $55 $8B $EC $33 $C0 $50 $9A $06BD1E11RL     $83 $C4 $02 $8B $1E
             $D8 $A7 $C7 $07 $000FW  $C7 $47 $02 $0002W  $C7 $47 $20 $0002W
             $8B $46 $06 $B1 $08 $D3 $E0 $89 $47 $0A $8B $46 $08 $D3 $E0 $05
             $FF9FW  $89 $47 $0C $8B $1E $D8 $A7 $C7 $47 $0E $0001W  
             $8B $1E $D8 $A7 $C7 $47 $10 $0001W  $B8 $16C0W  $50
             $53 $9A $09DC118CRL     $83 $C4 $04 $5D $CB
It is $FF9F. If you have changed it to 16 pixels high then you will want to change this value to $0000W (If you are putting the Dort's squares right on the ground.)
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

1.) Well, like I said, I didn't remember correctly. As far as I remember i was on the top of the 'Dort' (it was when I used the Oracle member sprites at that time - when I haven't changed them to the Dort). So I think it's really a random bug. I have no idea. And it happened 1 times, then not anymore.

2.) Alright. I'll do that.

3.) Cool!

4.) For the Mooning 2 sprite sequence I only have 1 sprite left, which is 4SPR0361.BMP. After all I checked it, I want Keen to have 1 sprite (4SPR0361.BMP) for the second mooning sequence. It can happen anytime (in-short: 'Keen always SECOND moons' whenever he wishes). He does the following: he stands for a short time (4SPR0361.BMP will be that sprite - he does it like he does his first mooning sequence except the second Keen moon has 1 sprite), then - short after - sits down and reads book. (In-short: it's like the original Keen mooning, but with 1 sprite action style, which is 4SPR0361.BMP.)

5. Thanks a lot. It works now!

EDIT: (Little off-topic: Where's that tool that can patch Catacombs 3-D (a similar programme to CKPATCH you said. Can you send me it?)

EDIT 2: When will you finish the Moon 2 sequence anyway?
levellass

Post by levellass »

This update should do the Moon 2 sequence. I used the free soda animation, remember that we moved the 100 point item animations, which leaves 227\228 free. (228 can be used for the council page, making him easier to put into levels, are you OK with that?.): https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpybu4za9v4dr ... z.PAT?dl=0
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

I checked 227/228 and I remember now that we moved the soda to 302/303.

So okay I accept your idea, which is the following:

227,228 -> This could be Keen's second mooning sequence (so now it can have 2 sprites just like the original mooning has, and its speed would be as fast as Keen's original mooning speed, yes, you read clear, i want it like this) And like I said, Keen always does it whenever he is standing on the Moon2 tile. And not least the sprite size of the Keen mooning 2 is as big as the original mooning sprite(s) size.

In-short: Moon2 sequence is similar to the original mooning sequence.

241 -> Council Page sprite

I want these like this. Tell me if something is not possible, but 227,228 would definitely be the best idea for Keen's second mooning. :)
Last edited by szemigi on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.