Keen 4 - Oracle Janitor, Dort patch (updating), second skypest, unused Keen sprite, Council Page

Request patches for Keens 4-6.
szemigi

Re: Keen 4 - Oracle Janitor, Dort patch (updating), second skypest, unused Keen sprite, Council Page

Post by szemigi »

Problem with Moon 2 property:

I've put a Moon2 tile in the first level, then I tried to enter it, but after the Keen thumbs up happened (so the loading happened), the level didn't appear but the game crashed by receiving black screen only. (Then I closed DOSBox of course.)
And everything is untouched in Level 1!

EDIT: WARNING! This black screen problem I wrote basically happens, I completely checked it. So something is wrong in a patch. (Anyway, not yelling, just saying to keep it in your mind.)

EDIT 2: To be concrete, I can hear music, but the game crashed (aka black screen problem I wrote above, I just didn't know that there's music in the level despite of crashing). And all the levels are untouched anyway!

EDIT 3: The Computerwrist check sprite with Moon 2 patch doesn't fit together. Please, separate them, because it's a big pain for the mod! I'm talking about it:

#Expand stand\walking tcol to wristcheck
%patch $D33F $C7 $06 $00BEW $0003W $83 $3E $C649W $01 $75 $05 $C7 $44 $1C $4099W

#Merge walking tcol with standing (Placed at end of W_Tcol seg for larger S_Tcol) -allows wristcheck
%patch $D40B $55 $8B $EC $56 $8B $76 $06 $83 $7C $38 $00 $74 $06 $83 $7C $0E $FF #Walls
$74 $0C $83 $7C $3C $00 $74 $21 $83 $7C $0E $01 $75 $1B $C7 $44
$1A $0000W $C7 $44 $1C $098CW $83 $7C $0E $01 $75 $05 $A1 $098EW
$EB $03 $A1 $098CW $89 $44 $1E $E9 $FE61W

Definitely separate it! Because it won't fit the mod. But the 'When-I-press-ESC-then-Keen-checks-his-computerwrist-and-I-go-to-the-main-menu' patch stays!!! I definitely want it to stay (but separate it entirely from the moon 2 patch!).

EDIT 4: I decided. I must save only 1 oracle member. So I want that patch. And it has the 8th member's text "You are the last one" blablabla text. And in the High Scores level the oracle icon doesn't appear.
Reason: It doesn't fit my plot for the mod. I checked totally.

EDIT 5: How come that after the first 'DEMO' you get to the terminator text and to the first demo again? I want to see all the demos/scroll story screen/high score demo screen as well. So fix it.

EDIT 6: I definitely want the Moon2 tile patch (as I wrote down in my previous post), but I want it to be separated from the Computerwrist check patch completely and entirely. And strictly!
levellass

Re: Keen 4 - Oracle Janitor, Dort patch (updating), second skypest, unused Keen sprite, Council Page

Post by levellass »

Yeah, the moon 2 patch I put up has an error in it. This is the fixed version and also has the Council Page in it. (He uses the 2nd soda animation.): https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpybu4za9v4dr ... z.PAT?dl=0

Check that out and tell me of any errors with it and if you want anything changed.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

Alright. I write here if I found something wrong.

EDIT: Wrong again:

1. How come that when I touch the Council Page, the usual janitor (from the Pyramid of the Forbidden) text appears instead of the costume text I requested? (Check my first post in this topic about this.)
2. How come that if the Council Page vanishes it uses the drop disappearing sprite? (I wanted the Council Page to simply disappear WITHOUT any effect, aka just like Lindsey.)
3. How come that after the Council Page disappears the high score numbers are all dark grey? It shouldn't happen.
4. How come that when I put the Council Page in (a) level, it's like he falls down a little bit? (In-short: it looks like I put him in the air, but no, because I put him on the ground.) Did I do wrong something?
5. I put a Moon2 tile, but it's different than what I requested, because what I wanted for the Moon2 sequence is that it has 2 sprites 227,228 concretely. And moreover the Moon2 sequence is like the original mooning sequence exactly, except the second mooning can happen anytime, when Keen stands the Moon 2 tile (so he can always do the second mooning anytime). It means that if Keen is standing on the Moon2 tile, he looks up to the sky, then the Moon2 sequence (which has 2 sprites) happens (which is as fast as the original mooning), then Keen sits down to read the book. If you get what I mean.
6. I also told that 241 would be the Council Page anyway (the unused door sprite). Is it impossible to make?
7. 'DEMO' problem: How come that when I go to the first demo, and then I want to go to the scrolling story and the other demos, I return to the terminator text again?
8. As I requested for the Council Page, I want the following: The Council Page text + window appears when Keen touches the Page, then if you press a button, Keen replies to it. The Council Page bitmap will be the replacement of Keen's angry face (from the Pyramid of the Forbidden!). And no 2 Council Page texts like you did in the patch. In-short: Council Page acts like Lindsey completely (either the chat window or the text)! It means that Council Page bitmap is on the left and Keen's is on the right, to be concrete.
9. And I want to save only 1 member, where Keen replies this: "You are the last one fella..." blablabla text. You know.
10. I'm saying this without anger, but I won't repeat myself anymore about these patches. I wrote everything down, just read them. (Remember, I know your less time thing and slowing down things.) And you have always been cool.

Fix these for me in all cases, because - and unfortunately + no anger, no fault - my patience is starting to run out. (Due to the couple-of-week-suffering thing.)

EDIT: Sorry if I was pushy.
levellass

Post by levellass »

1.) Testing. This update should add the text you wanted, plus it turns off music, plus it plays Lindsey's sound: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpybu4za9v4dr ... z.PAT?dl=0

2.) There was no way to make the page vanish perfectly for complicated reasons. The update will hopefully make this a little less obvious.

3.) I don't see this problem? I can provide video proof if you like.

4.) He falls down because you do not have his height patched right, you didn't tell me how tall he was so I guessed he was as tall as the council member. This is the value $FE8FW in line 5 of the code below. If you make this bigger (FE9F, FEAF, FEBF...) then he should fall less and less until he is standing on the ground. (You will have to tell me the value you use so that I can include it with my patches.)

Code: Select all

#Page spawn =$0E8F0907RL
%patch $F1F7 $55 $8B $EC $33 $C0 $50 $9A $06BD1E11RL     $83 $C4 $02 $8B $1E
             $D8 $A7 $C7 $07 $0009W  $C7 $47 $02 $0001W  $C7 $47 $20 $0000W 
             $8B $46 $06 $B1 $08 $D3 $E0 $89 $47 $0A $8B $46 $08 $D3 $E0 $05
             $FE8FW  $89 $47 $0C $C7 $47 $0E $0001W  $C7 $47 $10 $0001W  $B8
             $416CW  $50 $53 $9A $09DC118CRL     $83 $C4 $04 $5D $CB
5.) I don't understand what you mean about Moon 2, but I believe I already used the two sprites 227, 228.

6.) Using sprite 241 is very tricky, I don't have much space left to use it, it tends to cause crashes.

7.) I have no idea why this would happen, there are no patches changing the demo in the file. If that keeps being a problem I would have to see the whole mod to try and fix it.

8.) Update should deal with this. But... are you using Lindsey, or does the Page replace her? This is important.

9.) I thought you wanted 9, with patches to make 9 and the Janitor being the 9th. You are saying all of this was wasted time? What else might you not want? Should I just delete everything?
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

Well, if we look at the Janitor thing, it was kinda 'waste'(but not that soon, I tell you why now), because in my mod I tested the plot several times, which is a mini-sequel to Keen 4, but later I looked at what I wrote and unfortunately the 9 members (+1 Janitor of course) won't fit the plot. So after all if I realize earlier that the Janitor patch won't fit, okay, it's waste, but that didn't happen that way. BUT:

Don't delete anything, because later I can fit it somehow! Your patches are not trash!

Council Page: There's only one soda sprite used for the Page (227 or 228, I don't know, but only one is used). And actually the Council Page acts like Lindsey, in short: the Page is a 3rd Lindsey. And when Keen meets the Page, angry Keen face (which is gonna be the Council Page portrait) appears on the left (just like Lindsey's) and then Keen's reply (Keen's portrait is on the right).

Moon 2: No, you used only one soda sprite (227 or 228, I don't know) for the second mooning, too. (You don't remember?! You even connected it with the Computerwrist check animation) But like I said as an update, the second mooning is like the original mooning, which uses 227 and 228. And - as you wrote, it's impossible - 241 would be the Page. But if it's impossible, I'm afraid I have no free sprite space. =/

I tested these.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

Will anything happen?
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

The Computerwrist frame for bored Keen is okay. The computerwrist frame after pressing ESC is okay, too.

BUT. I want a modification:

The 'The computerwrist frame after pressing ESC in the game' is affiliated (?) with the Moon 2 tile patch + there is only 1 demo when I choose RETURN TO DEMO menu point.

And these are because I don't want Moon2, I decided.

So in short:
Please, separate and fix these and don't affiliate the computerwrist (bored Keen one and the pressing ESC one) with Moon 2 tile patch or any other patches as I'm kinda pissed now.