patch file issues clashing

Request patches for Keens 4-6.
Bubzrulz

patch file issues clashing

Post by Bubzrulz »

help my game crashes everytime i collect the pogo stick now i must have added a patch and it clashes with that patch or i have moved a patch to before or after it that i shouldnt have (even the dont display the "wetsuit message box dont work) but for the life of me i cant find it i do test every patch when implement them but i should now do it collect the pogo stick here it is patch file note now i think it as something to do with this patch

Code: Select all

#Disable got Wetsuit message (Free $F3D2-$F494)
%patch $12A58 $90 $90 $90 $90 $90
was working before but now it still comes up and now when i delete this patch game goes on

%patch $30A4B  "Cool!  NOW  i can jump " $0A
               "higher pogo away!" $00
patched it to say something but still would like to know why it didnt work
levellass

Re: patch file issues clashing

Post by levellass »

Do you get a message when the game crashes? For example if the message is 'String exceeds width!' then it means one of the lines of your wetsuit message is too long.

This page gives all the game errors and explanations of what they mean: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:Game_errors
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

levellass wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:50 am Do you get a message when the game crashes? For example if the message is 'String exceeds width!' then it means one of the lines of your wetsuit message is too long.

This page gives all the game errors and explanations of what they mean: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:Game_errors

no it just freezed and showed the wetsuit message even tho patch said not too
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

Bubzrulz wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:37 pm no it just freezed and showed the wetsuit message even tho patch said not too
please remember to give us as many information as possible, like error outputs (or even the info that there is no error output like this time). this helps a lot debugging.
so it just freezes, right? like seen in this video over here? https://youtu.be/mmocPPOhMmk?t=11m4s
the issue as seen in the video was a typo:
  • %patch $30A37 "A safety suit." $0A fm
so you might want to search your patch file for typos anywhere near the wetsuit patch.

if you cannot find anything I'd suggest to shorten your wetsuit message in order to test if the text length might be the thing which is causing the problem. maybe into something like this:
  • %patch $30A4B "Lets pogo away!" $00
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

Nisaba wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:43 pm
Bubzrulz wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:37 pm no it just freezed and showed the wetsuit message even tho patch said not too
please remember to give us as many information as possible, like error outputs (or even the info that there is no error output like this time). this helps a lot debugging.
so it just freezes, right? like seen in this video over here? https://youtu.be/mmocPPOhMmk?t=11m4s
the issue as seen in the video was a typo:
  • %patch $30A37 "A safety suit." $0A fm
so you might want to search your patch file for typos anywhere near the wetsuit patch.

if you cannot find anything I'd suggest to shorten your wetsuit message in order to test if the text length might be the thing which is causing the problem. maybe into something like this:
  • %patch $30A4B "Lets pogo away!" $00
no i got the pogo massage to work the patch for no message box is what crashed the game after working for a while so not that important now but found it frustrating at time so had to patch up the new message
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

OK i found out where the pogo massage takes up new space , a little bit of 1st keens Oracle Council Member reply any way of moving the reply to another location as im only using Oracle Council Member in my mod
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

sure, moving messages is totally doable.
but I wouldn't do so at the moment as you are constantly coming up with new modding ideas. keep it in mind so that we can change this later on, after you've gathered all you patching stuff. otherwise we are going to shift things over and over again.
for the time being just shorten your wetsuit/pogo message. we'll come back to all this later on.
Bubzrulz

Post by Bubzrulz »

Nisaba wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:11 am sure, moving messages is totally doable.
but I wouldn't do so at the moment as you are constantly coming up with new modding ideas. keep it in mind so that we can change this later on, after you've gathered all you patching stuff. otherwise we are going to shift things over and over again.
for the time being just shorten your wetsuit/pogo message. we'll come back to all this later on.
you make sence...

NEW TEMP PATCH SECTION put in my patchfile

#NEEDS SPACE WETSUIT MAESSAGE TAKES UP SPACE
#Don't display Keen's reply boxes to the Oracle Council Member
%patch $F549 $FF $06 $7A5EW  $9A $12A614EDRL     $9A $06BD2092RL     $B8 $0000W
             $50 $9A $1D06030DRL     $44 $44 $5D $CB
what it is and why so i remember
levellass

Post by levellass »

This is why I need copies of patch files when doing big patches, so I can fit and move all the patches around so they work properly.