The CK Guy's Keen 5 Level Pack

Request patches for Keens 4-6.
XkyRauh

re: technicalStuff

Post by XkyRauh »

w00t... Can't say I'd use that in the same way you demonstrated, but it gives a unique opportunity for, say, stoplights that change, or signs that swap direction. (Like in my Keen2 mod, after you destroy the targets, the lights swapped from red to green). Cool!

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hmmm, I hope I understood. :) Gotta say, pretty clever trick, can't wait to see it in action!
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

The levels are coming along nicely! YEAH! *loud cheering followed by akward silence* ahem -- anyway, yeah. I wish I had some screens (I'm not at my comp at home now) ...

[edit:] I just got this cool (secret) idea. Andy, could you please find a patch to change which level the fuse that causes the 'freak fuse malfunction' is in?
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

CK Guy: Is that actually necessary? Can you achieve what you want merely by changing the level numbers?
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Andy - I was planning on putting the fuse in Quick & Easy, so the player could take the easy exit right at the beginning, or go through the level, and pogo on that switch.

Now, the secret level will be called [unreleased info] and will not have the fuse in it. Now, how does the Keen engine figure out when you are on Koarth III, and what triggers the game to say you're back on the Omegamatic? Going through the teleporter? Hmm ... if this could be changed, then I guess I wouldn't really need to switch which level has the fuse.

So, I guess this all boils down to

Code: Select all

The secret level and the level with the hidden fuse are in the same level -- I want to change this
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks to the good old cliping cheat. :)
It seems that the game shows your location as Korath III Base instead of Omegamatic if your y-coordinate on the world map is high enough. With that I mean how "down" you are, use clipping cheat and hit your down key to go to "south" space. There just hit enter to see your location. If you are a bit below the beginning of that blue flame coming from Omegamatic, it shows your location as Korath III Base, even when you're standing in the flame and far from the Base. ;) Even when you're on the very left side screen of the level on the down corner.
So, I think it's only something y-coordinate hard-coded in game to select what location to show you. It's probably only matter of finding the byte, but I don't have TED installed so I can't look at the beginning-of-the-Korath-III-Base-text-area-tile, nor time to search..
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

The secret level and the level with the hidden fuse are in the same level -- I want to change this
Well, which level is actually the secret level is decided by the number for it on the map -- if you remember, after going through the teleporter, you're still on the map: and you have to press Ctrl to enter the secret level. So make the secret level some other number, and use the secret level's number for the first level that you get to.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Ah, good!

Andy - I don't really need that anymore (thanks KeenRush!!!). I just thought there was something hardcoded into the game that level 13 is the one that works as the secret level, I don't know how to explain this ... I guess I just thought the Keen engine was doing something more complicated than it really was.

Thanks again, Andy and KeenRush!

*thinks about nifty levels*
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Waaiit a minute ...

When you go below that certain y-coord, it displays the level name for level 13, whatever that may be. So, there still is a little problem (I'd like it to say [unreleased name of secret level], which will be level 5). So, I'd still like one of the following:
  1. Change which level the secret fuse is in
  2. Change which level name is displayed below the hard-coded y-coord
  3. Change what the y-coord is, and move it below the entire map, so when you're on the base near the secret level, it still says 'Omegamatic II' (less preferable to first 2)
I don't really need this now, but I will want it before working on release four ...
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hmmm, ok I didn't knew that it was the name of level 13 it shows there.. I thought it was just hard-coded text.. This is getting Pr-o-Blematic.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Number 2 and 3 would involve very closely related patches, and are both quite feasible (moreso than 1, I expect). I'll see what I can do.
ckguy

Info on Levels

Post by ckguy »

Okay, Double Toggle (the level with one switch controlling two birdges) is coming along nicely (haven't worked much on Not So Fast) - I've finally got a twirly fire thing to disapear when I point a switch at it ... however, then I added some more somewhere else, and now it doesn't work anymore. Sounds like if there're too many, this neat little trick doesn't work.

I'd like to make some more hazards for Keen 5 - The only one is the twirly fire thing (the only TILE hazard, I'm not counting sprites ... ) Anyway, I'm horrible at graphics. Maybe someone could work on something for me? Like some spikes, or drills like in Keen 6. Anyone have any ideas for some hazards? Would anyone like to make some of these for me? Please? I'd mention you in the docs ...
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Sounds nice!

Hmmm, I could make you some nice(?) as long as they don't need to have 24 frames. :P I'll try something but can't promise I can actually manage to do stuff..
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Hmm - I've done no work on the level pack for the past week - and I almost certainly won't be able to work on it for the next week. Sorry, guys, but that's the way it is ...

Maybe I'll have some Keen dreams, and get some nice level ideas ...

Never had any Keen dreams? Hmmm, me neither, but I did hear that you can download some at spatang.c--SHOT
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Keen Dreams? Yah, and often they have gave me some nice modding ideas (which I haven't done though). :)