The CK Guy's Keen 5 Level Pack

Request patches for Keens 4-6.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ok ok, hold your gargs. :)

Edit: Phew, done.. Wow, massive levels there! Really cool once again; it took me a while to get out from Quick and Easy (lol, the name should be exactly opposite). There were some traps in the levels. Also, it was cool to see in The Shelley Shack a one shelley jumping down from really high. :) Anyways, great job once again. :)
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

What difficulty level were you playing them on? Was it easy? I did most of my playtesting on hard, but then, just before I released the levels, I decided to play through them on easy, just to make sure there weren't any problems about jumping extra high/far (and there was a little - when you play The Shelley Shack on easy, and you have just gotten the keycard, and when you pogo back up under the twirly fires to get to the keycard door, its pretty tricky not to bump your head on them - and die), and I was surprised how easy the levels seemed in comparison. If that sentence confused the hell out of anyone, try re-reading it without the parenthetic stuff. :-P

Anyway, yup, that *was* a sneaky trick with the keygems in the beginning of The Shelley Shack, wasn't it? And aren't doors that you *think* are the exit but aren't really evil?

(ahem) I guess I'll stop rambling now.

[edit:] Just noticed on your user screen thingy - Holy fucling garg KeenRush!!!! Over one in four posts on K:M is yours!!!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

I played with easy. Looking at the amount of nasty stuff on hard mode, I would've spent many hours more if playing with hard. :) But I'll play it on hard sometime, when the whole mod/level pack is done. ;) I did that with Asylum (or Asulym; how to type it?!!?), though this seems harder.
Over one in four posts on K:M is yours!!!
So few! Eventually they're all mine.. 8( \ )
ckguy

lack of response

Post by ckguy »

I noticed this a bit on release three as well ... DOES ANYONE EXCEPT KR PLAY THE LEVELS? If you download the level pack and play it, please post something so it doesn't feel like I'm working for nothing!!!! Even if you just say, "i downloaded your level pack and couldn't figure out how to get it work" or "i'm having touble on level such-and-such" or "this sucks, its too hard" or ANYTHING just to let me know people are NOTICING THAT I DID THIS!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but it really bothers me when no one posts about someting I've spent hours and hours and hours on ...
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

^ Know that feeling.. :) Hmmm, dunno, this is probably the easist level pack to start this far. Maybe they just don't play Keen levels anymore. :\
Quirky Moron

Post by Quirky Moron »

I like those levels a lot, and when should realease five come?
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Quirky Moron wrote:I like those levels a lot, and when should realease five come?
Surprise!!! I've once again started work on Keen 5 1/2, after months of inactivity. Right now, I'm planning on finishing up Not So Fast and Ghost Town for release 5, but if I get bored with those I have lots of keen level ideas scribbled in various school notebooks.

When will it be out? It would be nice to time it with Keen Day (March 14), but no promises!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hey, that's great news! Definitely will play it.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

No ... release five isn't done, but now at least it's coming along. DOSBox allows me to run TED5 on Windows XP (albeit rather slowly) and so I have finally started level editing again!!! *is very happy*
XkyRauh

yay

Post by XkyRauh »

Good to hear that it's possible to get TED5 working under XP. :-) I may ask you for help with that some time in the future.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Good job! :) Now back to work!
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Woah. A year and a half I've been away from here. Well, I have checked posts sporadically, but my last post was June 2005.

First of all, hi to all of you guys.

Second of all, should I continue the level pack? It's been pretty much dormant for a while, but I might want to bring it back to life.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hello! And yeah, go ahead! :) It's excellent work so far.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Yeah, I've been waiting for this for a long, loong time.
Actually, I forget which level pack this is. I'm gonna replay this.
Shadow Master

Post by Shadow Master »

If you want TED5 to run faster, try increasing DOSBox CPU cycles by pressing CTRL-F12. CTRL-F11 reduces them.

I wonder why the game crashes just after entering a door in "Ghost Town". Well, I suppose it's the reason you didn't add that level to the map.

I can't wait for a new release! :)