Lightable cannon?

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Stealthy71088

Lightable cannon?

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I should warn you that I'm going to be working with Keen3 for awhile, so don't work too hard on this unless you are interested yourself.

I've been reading old topics lately, and have been very impressed with the ideas in them. There's a lot I believe we can do now that we couldn't do back in the beginning days of this forum. One thing that particularily struck me was this: http://www.keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?t=86In the topic, people were complaining about how there was only so much that could be done with the cannon, but for the most part it looked all the same.

That's when I got my idea.

Wouldn't it be cool if the chain were patched so that on being shot, it spawned a moving up right ice cannonball? We could then have that cannonball spawn a falling block when it explodes. This way, we can have a cannon in a mod that Keen can fire. The cannonball can blow up a portion of the level, killing a vorticon or opening a new area to explore. We could make the falling block itself killy, so it could be flames leftover from the cannon. The best thing about this would be that the cannon can only be fired once: the player can't abuse it!

Just a thought. :)

~Stealthy71088

oh, and on a sidenote, this is the 10001th article on the forum. Happy Anniversary everybody!
levellass

Post by levellass »

A chain can be made to spawn an upowards moving iceblock sprite, that's easy, just twiddle the properties of the Chain zapzot spawned. The problem is, when an icecube hits something, it has not been shot or killed, this is a tile-sprite interaction, and no falling block is spawned.

I think this may be possible with some patching; the main problem is that the icecube behavcior needs an initial speed that the chain doesn't have. So I have an icecube that just sits there.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

The Icecube that hits the wall spawns the 4 little cubelet pieces, doesn't it? Just make 3 of them "nothing," and one of them the falling block...
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

The cool thing about this is that it's all possible.
Great idea. Love to see it in a mod one day.
levellass

Post by levellass »

You'd need to make 3 of the icecubelettes 'keen's bullet' and the fourth the falling block, a falling block is only produced when something is *shot* to shoot something you need a sprite with the block death too come into contact with a keen or tanks bullet sprite.

And there is still the problem o making the chain spawn a *moving* bullet like sprite, I wouldn't put this in the relm of possible until Andy looks at it.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I've been thinking about this some more, and looking through the patches again, and instead of launching a cannonball to tear down a wall, we can launch keen!

Ok, suppose we set up the chain to spawn a particular iceball, maybe the up right one. I noticed that there are patches that makes keen go flying when he touches said ball. Why don't we adjust it until we can make him go flying where we want him to? Then we can light a cannon, have Keen hop into it, and boom! :) Will this work?