Patch Request: Pogo Doesn't Auto-Jump

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
CheesyDave

Patch Request: Pogo Doesn't Auto-Jump

Post by CheesyDave »

g'morning--

been working on a mod for a bit, need a patch to make it work. i'd much prefer to not reveal anything about the mod, so i'm going to explain this w/ a dumb idea. i promise it'll be much cooler in-game ~_^

so~ le's imagine instead of a pogo, keen gets a skateboard. i've been using the following patches to simulate the effect:

Code: Select all

#Keens high pogo jump height 
%patch $6D82 $00 $00

#All pogo jumps are high jumps
%patch $6D73 $90
this causes keen to bounce about constantly, but never really leave the ground. i was hoping that this would make a sliding-along-the-ground sort of effect, but it does not.

i would like a patch that removes the 'bounce' bit in the pogo code. i'd imagine simply removing some code would do the trick, but i don't know where to do it. this isn't imperative for the mod, but it'd make it much closer to what i actually want out of the mod.

i don't really care if the resulting patch still allows keen to get the high jumps as well as the slidey thing. with or without jumps at all would work for me. so long as simply moving left to right and standing do not cause a bounce, i'll be thrilled.

i'd also like to thank levellord for the patch index-- it's been a great help^^
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

i once contemplated a skating mod, but i lacked the resourcefulness/resources that you have shown us there when it came to simulating a skateboard effect. anyway the craze for skating has long since abated. sadly, my local skate-park was completed a good 3 years after skating began to fade away. but in a mod, it would make for an all-time classic!

beside the point, i did actually gain a similar non-bounce effect. let's just say one word regarding the context in which i have used it: "automobile"!!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

First, too bad I don't know how to help on this. I really hope someone knows!

Second, sounds just awesome! Glad to hear you're still in the business, and with an excellent idea. :) I just love skating in games. Can't wait!
CheesyDave

Post by CheesyDave »

<<; i appreciate the support, but i don't want you guys to be disappointed. i'm not making a skating mod. i just need that sort of effect. if you guys're looking for a skater thing, i could try it next time^^
levellass

Post by levellass »

Hmmn, this is difficult; I wish I knew how Keen worked as well as I did with other sprites. I've been trying to make Keen access the sliding behavior when he presses Alt, but it seems I need to add something in before the game will accept that he's sliding, and i don't know what.

Drat! I feel so useless!
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

If it's Keen's icy tile sliding, than maybe that part has to do with Keen touching an icy tile. Something to do w/ the collision constant?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Well, maybe; I do know the slippery tile accesses Keen's walk function at least.
Ezjay

Post by Ezjay »

Nice to see you're working on another mod, Cheesydave. I really enjoyed your zelda mod's levelbuilding.