Patch request: No pre-jump pause

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Scizor CT

Patch request: No pre-jump pause

Post by Scizor CT »

Something that came up in a conversation between Spleen and myself. It'd be nice if we could make jumping instant like it is in 4-6 in the CKCM, given how much else we're basing on Keen 4 already.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

I think someone tried asking for this like a year ago. But no one found it (if they even tried looking...)
levellass

Post by levellass »

The code I have found; I can make it instant, but then Keen goes hyper fast, then crahes; probbably because I'm referencing some pogo code. I give up.

C'mon Xky, where are you now?
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

I've never been a patcher for K:V... The only reason I can do anything at all with K4 is because of the very organized disassembly we have. I'm sorry.
levellass

Post by levellass »

But... but XkyKeen 3.... :(
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

IIRC, most of XkyKeen3's patches were "stock"; the ankh/timer related ones were made by me. But back to the topic -- modifying the jumping code in such a way is not likely to be simple or easy; I don't have the time at the moment to investigate a patch of this complexity.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

I'll dare to bump this since it seems like a very interesting matter. Would this be possible nowadays? I've been playing around with different general gameplay altering patches lately and this could be pretty neat to have. Maybe we could completely remove the jumping animation and only leave the mid-air sprite in use, this way we'd get 6-8 (not sure) free sprite frames to work with.
I hereby summon the Council of Patchers. Lemm? Lass?
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

Anything yet? This patch would really be cool to have.
levellass

Post by levellass »

IS there a pause before jumping? I don't notice anything. He's at least as responsive as when he pogos...
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

In Galaxy the jumping is absolutely instant. In Vorticons Keen goes into a short crouch animation to get more momentum, during which he is stationary and vulnerable. Same with pogo, once you land, there is a pause before you bounce up again. No such thing is in Galaxy.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Curious, I can't really tell. This will likely be quite difficult to do.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

It's sad to see that this won't happen. Lemm would probably be able to do it but he's surely busy making some awesome other patches and having a life. :p
Wouldn't it be just a matter of skipping the code that makes Keen crouch and just instantly making him jump up though?
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Nospike wrote:It's sad to see that this won't happen. Lemm would probably be able to do it but he's surely busy making some awesome other patches and having a life. :p
Wouldn't it be just a matter of skipping the code that makes Keen crouch and just instantly making him jump up though?
I tried that before, it didn't work out. I can't remember exactly what the problem was. I do remember that the pre-jump squat is responsible for controlling the jump height, so it would take some rewriting to have height control in mid-air as Keen 4 does.
levellass

Post by levellass »

If you have your not working patch, I have enough knowledge of the jump height to maybe make it work.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Sorry, I don't have it anymore. Also, it was in assembly.