Yet Another Patch Request: Status screen, pogo field

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Shadow Master

Yet Another Patch Request: Status screen, pogo field

Post by Shadow Master »

Since my mod features Keen with pogo at the start of the game in the worldmap using a known patch, I don't need that stupid field that tells you if you've found the pogo or not.

So, any patch to avoid drawing it? Or, what else can be done with it (useless or not)?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Any tile on the status screen can be removed with a simple $E8 command, I shall provide the relevant patch in a few miniutes (Hours?) when I can find where I wrote it down.
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

$E8? I thought it was $EB..
levellass

Post by levellass »

Oh. That works also, though you do it a little differently.

These patches work with the status screen patch of Andy's, I haven't got around to figuring out the 'normal' ones, and may never do so.

Code: Select all

#With status screen patch, don't show pogo tile.
%patch $1047  $EB $26

#With status screen patch, don't show items tiles
%patch $0F07  $EB $26 #Joystick
%patch $0F2F  $EB $26 #Battery
%patch $0F57  $EB $26 #Vacuum
%patch $0F7F  $EB $26 #Whiskey
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

With the status screen patch, it would probably be best to just change the existing bytes (the first two in the pogo section) rather than overwriting it later in the patch file.
Shadow Master

Post by Shadow Master »

Freeyorp101 wrote:With the status screen patch, it would probably be best to just change the existing bytes (the first two in the pogo section) rather than overwriting it later in the patch file.
I'll use the overwrite-it-later method. Why?

1) I'm not very organized, so a time may come in which I might not be able to understand wtf I patched in.
2) If someone borrows a patch from the mod, he/she oughtta know what modifications were made on the same patch, so I write it a line after the main status window patch.
3) In the strange sceneario of someone running the mod on a very, very, very old machine, it shouldn't take more than 2 extra seconds to overwrite an already accessed & written memory location. :)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Exactly what I was thinking!

[Personally, my status screen has been resized, retinted and shifted so much, I had to put it all into one big lump eventually, just to give myself breathing space.)