Keen's alternate walk speed

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Stealthy71088

Keen's alternate walk speed

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I was hoping earlier for a patch for Keen's walking speed. Someone told me that it was too difficult, because Keen seemed to have multiple walking speeds, and it didn't make a lot of sense.

Hopefully this will help.

I was modding Keen1 earlier today. I was testing a level without the pogo. I found that whenever Keen was running, and I was pressing alt repeatedly (though not quickly), Keen would do a sorta slow jog or walk. I tried making Keen travel at this speed normally, but I couldn't do it. If this is indeed one of these alternate speeds and we could patch it, imagine what we could do. Make this speed double or triple keen's normal running speed, and we could have the ultimate keen3 ankh race!
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

That would be to do with the pogo code. I daresay it tries to stop Keen's movement before switching over to the pogo sprite. For some reason the code that does that has been put before the part that checks whether the pogo is actually there.

No patch is necessary. When you're walking, hold the down key and then let go of left/right. You'll continue to walk at the exact speed achieved by pressing Alt continuously.
Shadow Master

Post by Shadow Master »

CommanderSpleen wrote:When you're walking, hold the down key and then let go of left/right. You'll continue to walk at the exact speed achieved by pressing Alt continuously.
I didn't know that trick!!! After so many years playing Keen, I learn how to do fine maneuvers with Keen by reducing its walking speed while playing! This is the solution for all my mod-gameplay problems.

There must be a way (patch) to convert the trick into a permanent gameplay alteration, though... But the Keen physics engine seems to be quite complex.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I didn't know that trick either. Very nice!

Could that speed be patched? If it is indeed the pogo's code, then would you have to patch the normal pogo's speed in a given direction? I want to try to take advantage of this if I can.
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

That lower speed also resembles keen's max speed on slick (not ice) surfaces. He will walk at up to max speed, but when you stop walking, he slows down to that speed... and keeps going.

Frequently into a spike pit.

Making that speed (if it is just one) faster than Keen's walk (run?) speed could have... unusual results on slick surfaces.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Keen's speed on ice may be another to try and change. I wonder what reverse ice would be like; you'd have to walk just to stay in one place.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Cool! Moonwalk anyone? :D Making the speed negative on the slippery tile would cause that cool effect. :)
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

Another idea might be to make keens walking speed negative, ALL solid tile surfaces slippery, and the ice speed double keens walking speed (but the right way around)

Would make for a very interesting mod...