Patch Request: Make getting a high score a little tougher.

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Stealthy71088

Patch Request: Make getting a high score a little tougher.

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I've been meaning to ask for this for quite some time, but kept forgetting. One annoying thing about keen games is that if you die, your score stays the same as what it was before you died. This is a pain because if you have a level that has tons of points, a player can just gain one life and die, repeatedly, thus having an infinite number of lives and getting a ridiculously high high score, even though they didnt really do anything.

I would like a patcb that makes it so if keen dies, the score goes back to what it was before keen began the level. If this is not easily feaible, it might work if keen was set to save automatically on winning a level, and reloading whenever keen lost a life.

If this is all impossible, than I would like a patch that at least subtracts 30,000-40,000 points when keen dies.

Thank You

Stealthy71088
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

This is the main detail remaining before a truly complete infinite lives patch can be created. I experimented a long while ago, but had little clue how to go about it.

Basically the plan was to use the Next Keen At variable, left spare if lives have no effect on the game, to store the points collected in the current level. Upon reaching the exit, the value would be added to the global score, but upon dying the points would be discarded (alternatively, the variable could be zeroed when entering the level, so you could review how well you scored in the previous level).

With such a setup, the high score chart would actually be relevant for a change, and the player would be free to simply enjoy the game rather than worrying about how many lives remain, especially for mods laced with levels that often require 20 attempts to pass them.

Just a random thought that occurred to me: I wonder what kind of reward could be given to a player for reaching a certain score localised to one level...
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

If it were a Keen3 mod, one could add extra time to the Ankh's default (adding to the base value) as a reward... lol.

Do we really need unlockable content in our KeenMods? :P :)