THOUGHT: Ice Launchers

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
XkyRauh

re: FreezeBot

Post by XkyRauh »

It'd be extremely frustrating! A worst-case scenario in my mind entails a harsh vertical climb to to peak of a mountain or series of platforms, only to square off with this prowling mechanized beast in hopes of snatching his Blue Keycard--but with just one wrong move, Keen is blasted and frostified, helplessly plumetting downward off the peak!

Perhaps you'd use it better, KeenRush. :-)

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Something like that I had in mind.. :)
Stickmanofdoom

Post by Stickmanofdoom »

that wouldn't be any worse than getting killed on the spot. at least you would have a chance.
XkyRauh

re: better or worse than death?

Post by XkyRauh »

If you hate backtracking as much as Xky does, you'd much rather be shot on the spot than plummet back to start! ;-)

Particularly if there are some cruelly crafted jumps involved. And for some reason, when I think of "cruelly crafted jumps," I think of Spleen. :-) Because of the way he posts, I have mentally bookmarked him as the most evil level designer ever--and I've yet to play a level by him!

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

I have a "bad" feeling about his levels too.. :) Can't wait to get my hands on keyboard and to try them..
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

I don't question that the ice launchers are useful strategically, it was just the problem of the ice launchers being used as anything else BUT ice launchers.
CommanderSpleen

Insidious Ideas

Post by CommanderSpleen »

*laughs maniacally*

I have so got it all figured out! My 'packaged essence' (frozen) status sprite is now 16x16 pixels... this gives me some incredibly diabolical possibilities.

One of these I have already tested, and it works incredibly well: a passage one tile high beneath a row of four evil tiles (just wide enough to jump over). Unerneath lies a 2x2 tile pit, containing two essence gems, and below each a one-way downward exit, below which is an earlier part of the level.

Using one-tile-high doors add to the wackiness even more--sliding right into a piece of door poking up from the ground, leading to an untimely death should one have been hesitant in using a particular keycard elsewhere... Teehee. >:D But then... who knows? You might just end up somewhere useful.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Oooh, I like the sound of that! :) Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought too (though not said here) - in case I understood you - making the iced Keen go through places that normally are in possible. :)
XkyRauh

re: Spleen

Post by XkyRauh »

*commits suicide*

--Xky
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

Ooh! Strategicalness! I like the sound of that. That would almost add some strategy similar to Mario growing or shrinking in the NES games (he could enter certain places small that he couldn't when he was big).
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Me too. Xky, you're too old-fashioned. :)
JosephBurke

dude

Post by JosephBurke »

I don't understand what's described, sounds nifty though.
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

In essence, the ice shooter can make you change your shape and slide in a certain direction. If your shape was changed into a sprite that's 16x16 in size or less, you could go through tunnels that are 1 tile high (Keen normally can't), adding a strategic puzzle aspect that hasn't yet been used in a Keen game (to my knowledge).
JosephBurke

beyong creative

Post by JosephBurke »

Oh, thanks!

Wow, that's a damn creative idea CommanderSpleen. Definitely brings back memories of Mario, lol.

You probably already thought of this, but you could sometimes make it more difficult to find these passages by not having them visible, they would be normal tiles without the block property.

Also, maybe there should be a Keen award for the best MOD invention. ;)
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

The hidden idea would work, but I suggest if anyone is going to use this to make hidden passageways in their levels, that they "introduce" the technique first. As in, in the first level you need to use the ice cannon tunnel trick in order to pass the level, and that tunnel is in plain view. That way, when they see ice cannons later on in levels, they know what to look for.