THOUGHT: Ice Launchers

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
CommanderSpleen

THOUGHT: Ice Launchers

Post by CommanderSpleen »

It's becoming increasingly necessary to be original when using the ice launchers in Keen1. I've got an idea to make it fit into my mod at the moment, but perhaps there are other ideas out there.

And perhaps there are ways to change its behaviour, the sound, or any aspect of it? Those are the main problems I have with it... which pretty much amounts to everything.

Somehow I've come to associate everything in the original Keen1 ice levels with nausea. Especially those damn launchers... and especially their damn sound effect.

Aww, I can't stay mad at Keen1. But still, is there anything anyone can propose we can do to change them in any way!?

And, might there perhaps be a way to patch into a particular tile, or even an enemy, a redirection to the subroutine that makes Keen frozen? Just a thought.

A couple of ideas I have considered, using general modding techniques (ie. without patching) are:

- Integrating the launchers into the level more--building them into walls, into water, or what have you, rather than as individual entities.
- Using them in conjunction with 'jumpy' areas (a network of evil tiles, for instance) rather than in strictly ice (or ice-mod) areas.
- Turning the ice into pulses of energy running along distrubution channels (ie. wires).
- Turn the launchers into Elvis impersonatortrons, whereby upon contact with the projectile Keen takes on an Elvis pose, and jiggies his way out through the 'escape' sprites.

It'd be good to see some original ideas coming out in upcoming mods. I'll definitely be making them as original as possible in my own mod.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah, it could be cool to do some modding on those..

One pretty nice thing could be that the ice cube could just kill Keen instead of those freezing things; you could easily then make them to be somekind of blasting weapons. >:D

I have thought that I could change those in to something things that could shoot somekind of things, and Keen would grab one and surf down something place like using those floating platform things in Keen 5 where he has his "surfing" pose. :) Well, gotta see what I'll do.. :P
JosephBurke

Post by JosephBurke »

Kind of like what KeenRush suggested, maybe the smaller ice blocks that break from the bigger ice block should be deadly.

Also if it's possible maybe the properties could be changed so that Keen doesn't become frozen but he's still thrown into the air.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah, that thing visited my brains yesterday too. :) Would be pretty cool, like blasting Keen all over. :)
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Lots of possibilities here... I'll have to do some patches in this area when I get more time. And changing the direction/speed/frequency of the 'shots' would also be possible.
CommanderSpleen

Projectile Craziness

One pretty nice thing could be that the ice cube could just kill Keen instead of those freezing things; you could easily then make them to be somekind of blasting weapons. >:D
That'd be cool. The whole freezing thing is getting a bit cliche in newer mods, so it'd be good if we could do something completely different with them.
and Keen would grab one and surf down something place like using those floating platform things in Keen 5 where he has his "surfing" pose
Kind of like an out-of-control hover board shooter?
Also if it's possible maybe the properties could be changed so that Keen doesn't become frozen but he's still thrown into the air.
That could make for some fun levels... if the player has at least some control when being thrown through the air, all sorts of crazy mid-air mazes can be made.
Kind of like what KeenRush suggested, maybe the smaller ice blocks that break from the bigger ice block should be deadly.
Oooooh... taking into account the above idea (which was really below but fits logically into what I'm saying better as is) that would make for some VERY interesting mazes... avoid the shattered bits and jump into the actual projectiles... then, of course, the pogo-brick technique could give the player an opportunity to remove a few walls around the place so there are less broken bits flying about and thusly better access to certain areas of the level.
Lots of possibilities here... I'll have to do some patches in this area when I get more time. And changing the direction/speed/frequency of the 'shots' would also be possible.
*drools* So, like, some of what we're saying here's actually possible? Cool as!

Could there perhaps be some way to actually set individual speed/frequency, and perhaps even behaviour settings for each machine? I'd be guessing it wouldn't be quite so simple, but then there have been a lot of less likely ideas taken up and put into action already.

The ice blasters were one thing that bothered me about Keen1 modding... it'll be incredibly cool to do something completely different with a little patching.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Kind of like an out-of-control hover board shooter?
That's it exactly! Hmmm, I wonder why didn't word "hover board" came to my mind, since I'm huge BTTF fan. :)

Oh, and pretty cool adurdin, even smallest changes are cool - it would be nice to get them shooting those things not so often; I would use that thing on my current mod and in the next project I would love to try "dangerous ice".. *<:)
*drool*
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

The ice launcher really is limited. The sprite that comes out of the launcher has to be rotationally symmetrical (circle, star, etc.), because if it was bullet or rocket shaped, it would come out of the launcher pointing the same direction no matter how it was fired (diagonally, up, or down).

Had a hard time figuring out how to use them, until a flash of inspiration one night. My mod's a Lego mod, so the launchers turn Keen into a Lego block. Well, a lego block with clothes on, but... I guess you'll have to see for yourself. In any case, I'm happy that hurdle is over.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Can't wait to see that. :)
CommanderSpleen

More Ideas

Victor's recent experiments have caused me to put more thought into original use of ice launchers. Here are some of the ideas he's been working on, and some of my own follow-up thoughts.

Layering three upward-blasting launchers on top of each other makes for a speedy ascent... a never-ending one if you're not careful, though, so an angled launcher is necessary to get Keen off the ride. Snow Worries, I expect, shall see many such devices in action.

Ice rides over hostile tiles to otherwise inaccessible areas have been considered as well. This I intend to utilise extensively in CK:MB. One specific idea I've been throwing around in my head is a large room full of launchers firing from many different directions, pogo-blocks and hostile tiles, as well as platforms in strategic locations. Throw into this mix a network of doors, whether in the actual arena or elsewhere in the level (therefore requiring a multi-location strategy) and some critters, and you've got yourself an insanely intricate puzzle. Ooh, joy. >:D

I shall not be cruel with never-ending traps and inescapable follies as I'm sure Victor is more than capable. But you'll have to be on your guard...

http://jimsoftlair.tripod.com/keen/vict ... 120306.gif
(Copy, don't click)
This interesting situation would make for some wacky Keening, if taken to another level. If left as is, with an alternative route to the exit, it can keep players on edge, especially if the fall ensuing from this little diversion takes Keen past dangerous territory yet to come.

Incredibly mind-boggling situations can be created if these launchers are used well. And combined with all the other insane stuff that we're capable of these days, this makes for highly original Keen mods.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Agree. Good way to use them is to make a maze. Filled with dangers, and only one good way. Place ice cannons. Other "freeze you to death", and others guide you throught some hard places. :)
CommanderSpleen

Damn. I could have sworn Keen was invincible when frozen... can a patch make this so? It'd be incredibly useful in my Essence Converter levels...

I guess I can make do with using the 'tank-bots' (I've modded all the enemies, but I shall refrain from letting y'all in on what I've turned them into for now).

>CommanderSpleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

I could have sworn Keen was invincible when frozen...
LOL, for some reason I had that image on my mind some some some months ago! :) That would definitely be cool to make him invincible during the time he is frozen.. *drooling while thinking all the cool stuff possible with that*
XkyRauh

re: Ice Shooters and Robots

Post by XkyRauh »

First of all, a Sound Editor would be a fantastic development for the Keen:Vorticons community. Even a subtle change of the walking sound would get the attention of a classic Keener--not to mention the joy of a different Ice Shooter sound; the nausea you experience is not unique to only you! ;-)

As far as the use of Ice Shooters in a level--I just posted about this back at the ol' PCKF... Keen1 only REQUIRED the use of the shooters to access a SECRET LEVEL. The only other time the Ice Shooters appeared was in the Vacuum level, and they were a minor hazard. Every time you were shot by them, you were either dropped off the level (as the one at the beginning) or you were put in a situation where you could be freed (ala Tankbot)

I used 'em in my Keen1 mod as part of the Cargo Bay area... aside from my Friction Dispersal Pads, the Packaging Rays were used to keep the cargo boxes sealed. ;-) If the little dialogue boxes had more room, I'd have explained that. Unfortunately, I didn't really THINK about HOW I used them--practically every time you're hit by one, you've got to endure the full duration of the freeze before you're freed. If I were ever to touch-up my Keen1 mod, I'd fix that.

If level designers were just a bit more sensitive about this, and did not allow players to get trapped or stuck (Ice Shooters that point straight up or down without Pushbots or Tankbots are a BAD idea--not a difficult concept!) I'd be much less bothered by them.

While we're on the idea of patching Ice Cannons, the simplest changes like shot delay, projectile speed, and duration of Keen's frozen-ness as well as the invincibility thereof... those are all wonderful ideas, and if the strings are found for 'em, I'm sure Xtraverse will tack them into his various editors. :-)

But advanced patching (which Spleen seems so Keen on--pardon the pun) could lead to some downright evil things. Imagine, if you will, a Tankbot whose shots freeze Keen. Of course, this Tankbot would be downright worthless if placed in a pit with mere walls on either side--surely you'd need pits off either edge or dangers along the sides to make him truly formidable. Can't say I'd ever USE one of these monstrosities in my levels, but it'd definitely be interesting once or twice.

One final thought about the Ice Shooters is this: They are a danger, they are a nuisance, they are an unusual method of transportation--but you are NOT obligated to use them in your mod!

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Tank bot freezing Keen? What an idea! :) I would use it.. >:)