REQUEST: A modification to the Xkykeen3 ankh patch

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Stealthy71088

REQUEST: A modification to the Xkykeen3 ankh patch

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I would do this myself, but I don't understand the patch. The patch index doesn't have any of the references or values in the ankh patch. What I need is instead of having keen die when the ankh runs out of time, I need it to act as if a heart were destroyed. Keen should get the points you would get from the heart, and wins the level. This is for a side mod- a hopefully quick and easy mod to program that should be a lot of fun to make and very different from typical keening.

I would also like a patch that makes it so that once keen starts walking in a level, he can't stop. This one isn't as important as the other.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Well, a brief breakdown of the Xky Keen 3 patch may be needed first: [And no, the patch index won't be crashing anymore, we finally got a reliable server]

Code: Select all

#Setting Ankh to give 28 seconds of time (28 * 144 = $0FC0)
%patch $7BA3  $C0 $0F
# Set single bullet to give 8 seconds of ankh time (8 * 144 = $0480)
%patch $7BD2 $81 $06 $46 $99 $80 $04 $EB $CB
Nothing mysterious here; this merely changes the amount of time things give.

# Set Ankh time to 11 secs (11 * 144 = $0630) when entering level
# (side-effect: won't turn off God mode when entering level)
%patch $81CE  $C7 $06 $46 $99 $30 $06
This is more complex; a small bit of code is overwritten and a new command is put in its place, not really anything you can do to edit this one, though Andy may be able to help.

# The ankh does not make Keen invincible
%patch $7918  $EB
# The ankh does not stop vortikids from knocking over Keen
%patch $7C8A  $EB
These are simple skips, they work by simply skipping over the code we don't want, in this case keen be stunned and Keen immortal

# The "invincibility sprite" is not shown until the "time running out" 
# time is reached (even for God mode).
# SIDE EFFECT: with God mode on, once the timer is depleted,
# the "time running out" frames will continue to flash.
%patch $8502 $EB $74
A lot of fun may be had with this; this skips some code too, but gets Keen to jump to a nice lil spot further along. If done right you can make the Ankh do weird things. I am working on *this* to try your request.

# Make Keen die when ankh time runs out (using black magic)
%patch $7A1C  $E9 $4E $01
%patch $7B6D  $83 $3E $46 $99 $00 $7F $03 $E9 $BB $FE $E9 $89 $00
%patch $7C45  $03 $7C
This affects the blocks rather than Ankh; 'nothing' is set to kill, so when Keen has no Ankh and is touching a nothing tile, he dies. Not really alterable.

I would also like a patch that makes it so that once keen starts walking in a level, he can't stop. This one isn't as important as the other.
How do you mean?
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

I would also like a patch that makes it so that once keen starts walking in a level, he can't stop.
I would assume that this would be similar to having the blocking tile value like the ice value on the tile, except the walking frames continue to be used. Is this right?
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Yes. That would be correct. But I want you to not need to jump to turn. So that makes it more like slippery. A stronger slippery would be nice. Or something that will cause keen to keep moving for a little when he tries to stop, similar to one of those garg patches.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Hum. Are you saying that in XkyKeen3, if the player is hiding in one of the few "secret" areas (with foreground tiles, like Level05 with the Spadling nests) they'll be immune to running out of ShowTime? :O

Sorry to sidetrack. LevelLord, please document all of your various attempts at this patch... I'm curious what "interesting" stuff you've managed to make Keen do with the Ankh. :)
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

It occured to me during lunch that if someone could find the patch that says that keen walks when he walks, it should be possible to patch all the standing motions to walking ones, effectively skipping standing whatsoever. Walk Speed patches would be cool too- I want to make keen a little tougher to control.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

This was my origional thought also; however Keen's walking is not that simple; while the standing frames belong to a behaviour, the walking frames are actually in three segments [hence Keen doesn't have one 'walking speed'] and are a keyboard-keen interaction. I think it may be possible to simply stop the 'stop Keen walking' code, but I'm not good enough to find it.