Patch Request: Lights start dark

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Stealthy71088

Patch Request: Lights start dark

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I would like a patch that causes all levels in keen3 to start with the lights off.

I would also like a patch that makes vorticons not jump in the dark, just like keen2.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Hmmm, these will be difficult, especially the second one. I'll look into them tonight to see what I can do.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Right; I've done the best I can for the lightswitch patch, but its not quite what you want.

Keen uses a 'normal' palette, this is reverted to by default whenever there is a fadein/out, or palette change, etc. This is thus used for the menus, map AND levels. Making this dark makes them *all* dark.

Code: Select all

#Normal palette, [used for menu, levels, etc] Now Dark
%patch $2E29 $75 $25
Now that they're all dark, when the lightswitch checks for the 'dark' palette and finds its dark at level start, when Keen flicks a lightswitch, the lights turn ON This ONLY works with this specific patch, if you use a different palette flicking the lightswitch turns the lights off.

You may want the lightswitch to work in reverse; so flicking it makes things bright, then flicking things again makes them dark:

Code: Select all

#When lights are switched OFF
%patch $6C6C $97 $25
#When lights are turned ON
%patch $6C4D $75 $25
See this thread for all the palettes used and thier locations n stuff: viewtopic.php?p=9528#9528

Enjoy!
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I'll have to play with it a bit, but I believe this is pretty much what I wanted. The second patch isn't nessacery, the game will just be that much harder : )
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

If we're gonna be in a lights-off situation at all times, why not use the palette-altering patches to darken everything up, so you can still have some elements of shading? Or even cooler, instead of having 2 shades of 8 colors, why not have 16 individual colors? :)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Yeah, you'll probbably want to alter the palette and/or colours to make the menu, high scores, etc easier to read. Alternately you could use the 'light fade' palette, then the lightswitches will make the level light, but flicking them again will make it *darker*

I look forward to seeing this.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I'm planning on having a sprite that can only be seen in the light, but cannot be seen in the dark. I got the idea from looking at one of Harvey's tin hat bot in Dimension Destruction. In the light, the creature's mouth is visible, while in the dark it simply isn't there. I think it has to do with silouette, but I'm not exactly sure. If i change the palette, will I be able to have that effect? I like the idea of 16 individual colors- I can probably make everything look really pretty in the dark.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Well, there are two things you can do; combining the two makes for some awesome effects.

The first is to change the palettes used; this is easy enough. Doing this you can make red turn to black in the dark say. If you want you can make a new palette to make all the colours go wacky when the lights are switched out. If you have any problems with this, just ask and I can explain it in detail.

If you had a red sprite, and turned the lights off, it would go black, and you could make your background the same color, or whatever.

The second thing is to edit the colors themselves. The real cool stuff is only useful when you can also edit the palettes as well. To make 16 different colors you'll need to change the lights off palette to make light red-red light green-green, etc; otherwise you won't see your new colours. Then you edit say, ligt green to make it a greeny-blueish color, and so on. Then when you flick your lights one set of 8 colors will become a whole new set of 8 colors.

If you need help, just ask.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

There's another problem I've come across. I tried to fit elevators in a level, patched the way you suggested, LL. Because the second one always stuns, Keen gets stuck forever stunned. The obvious solution is to make a sprite that will push keen away, but I don't really want to devote a sprite to just doing that. I checked, and there doesn't seem to be anything else I can patch the elevator to the make what I want to work to work. The only option seems to be to patch what keen does when he is stunned, in other words patch the effect itself, to standing for instance. I would post it, except the patch index is down. Is there any other way around this? Could it somehow be made that icy floors work in keen3? Because that patch, I believe, would eliminate the stunning effect.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

I forgot what it is you want the elevator to do. There are two ways around this though is to put the elevator higher up, so Keen hits it and falls down, where the elevator can't touch him.

Then there is a special behaviour for what Keen does when he pogoes on sprites, if you edit this, when Keen presses Alt on an elevator he becomes [stunned, or whatever]

Hmm, the patch index is down? I thought so, damn Grafix. Nevermind I have a backup up-to-date-archieve here: http://www.freewebs.com/levellord_keen/pindex.zip

[Right click, save as]