Draggin Days Patches

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

If he's planning to make a mod with it, why not keep it to himself in the meantime? There's nothing wrong with keeping a secret to enhance a surprise.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Agree with adurdin, that's exactly what I'm doing too. ;)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

1.) This is a community, we should share

2.) Mods can take months, nay years to be released

3.) Even if he does release it, I doubt anyone else is going to make a Keen 3 mod, or if they do, it will probbably be released later than his, or not even contain the patch.

I mean I was considering Keeping all my K3 patches till I had done a mod [Could be months yet, maybe not ever] and I plan to attempt a number of other patches. I have not yet given up on a palette patch [Need help, hint hint] and aside from the boss, there is a lot more patching I want done.

4.) I think the true surprise in a patch is its inventive use. Freeyorps new mod will be awesome, not for the patches it uses, which are nothing special, but how creatively they've been implimented. You're walking along then suddenly 'Huh? What the...? Oh, he must've used 'that' patch....'
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hm, I don't quite agree that everything some person mades up should be instantly shared. Most people don't upload a new beta of their mod or fan game whenever they make some progress. It's shared anyways, once the work is done.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Well, yes and no; On the one hand there is a difference between patches and graphics; a game should be played whole, usually nobody releases half a patch. Also, using somone elses graphics is just mean.

I do believe also that there are a lot of people who don't notice or can't figure out patches in a patchfile until they're posted here.

However, on taking the advie of you and another Keener, I shall not be releasing any more patches or helping anyone with patches that I may be using lest they release a mod using them before me. It has been a learning experience.
Freeyorp101

hmmm.

Post by Freeyorp101 »

At any rate, it will always be up to a person to decide whether to share it or not. While it can be irritating, I think most people are able to wait if it means a bigger suprise for the mod.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Technically, the "secret" patch has already been discovered- just no one realized it could work. Here's something else I found to tide you over for now- I'll try and email something later.

Code: Select all

Keen's shot bounces off walls.
%patch $7D07 $0B $4C
This is unique because the shot's graphic is not replaced by the ball's. This seems to be the only exception to the graphic replacement for right now. I wanted to make it so the shot could kill keen, but then it turned out it didn't kill a lot of othher things.

If i dont release the mod in a reasonable amount of time, i promise to post it. I didnt make it from scratch- technically you [LL] helped me with it. I'll try to email it later.

An Hour of Thinking About it Later Edit: Perhaps I'll post it anyway. This is a modding community, like LL said. We all are able to mod because we all help eachother, and our mods inspire eachother, leading to greater and greater mods. Look at our earliest mods, and then look at what we do now. Our graphic art has imporved substantially. This isn't because of practice, because why should our art style change by using it all the time? If anything it would solidify, and never improve, because there is nothing influencing it. Nothing can be given value unless it is compared to something else: The number 1 is meaningless if that is all that exists, because then it might as well be 0. By ourselves we are not nearly as good as we are as a whole community. The Patchwork mods have proved this. On top of this, LL helped me with the vast majority of the patches I've used in my games. I think it's only fair I at least email it to her. The patch may be able to get a lot of people to mod more. I still get credit for it, because I did post it. Post your thoughts.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Re: hmmm.

Post by KeenRush »

Freeyorp101 wrote:At any rate, it will always be up to a person to decide whether to share it or not. While it can be irritating, I think most people are able to wait if it means a bigger suprise for the mod.
Indeed. And it isn't even irritating me..

I don't really see why every patch should be posted if someone really wants to use some patch in his/her mod first. Look at XkyKeen3. It blew our minds and nobody complained that Xky didn't reveal the great ideas he had for gameplay by posting the patches before the mod release. That would've been just stupid. Patches tell a lot about the mod and are likely to spoil things. At least I want to see things used cleverly in mods before just lines of patches appear here. But I don't mean new patches shouldn't be posted without using them in mods.. I'm just saying that it's stupid to make such a big deal about it if someone wants to use something in a mod before posting it here.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

This is unique because the shot's graphic is not replaced by the ball's. This seems to be the only exception to the graphic replacement for right now. I wanted to make it so the shot could kill keen, but then it turned out it didn't kill a lot of othher things.
Aw! Dude! Okay; should I use this still, or are you planning on it? It won't really change anything for my mod, but mine'll be released first.

There are other instances of nongraphic replacements; mostly to do with bullets, you may see some coming up. This is the 'kill keen' behaviour I used:

#Keen's shot kills stuff and him
%patch $7CE3 $10 $00
I expanded the amount of things it'd kill with other patches, notably the death and interaction behaviours.
Technically, the "secret" patch has already been discovered- just no one realized it could work
Ah, no; if it were new; something undiscovered, then you should share. Sounds like you're just using an existing patch in a unique way, look forward to seeing how; mod quickly!

However, do email me, I have a few neat ideas you may or may not be iterested in; some inventive applications of the sprite patches mostly; and if there are any other patches you specifically want help with, just ask. Just because you post a patch, doesn't mean it tells you what it can do after all, XK3's patches merely make a bullet give Ankh, change the nothing to kills and change the Ankh time given. They say nothing about making a timer. By the time we're finnished we'll surprise em all!
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I don't care about the graphic patch, go ahead and use it if you want.- I just found it convenient, fun and useful. The other one I was having be a key to beating the boss level, and a surprise.

Thanks for the keen's shot patch- That's going to come in handy.

I'll try to email you now.
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

Keen's shot bounces off walls. 
%patch $7D07 $0B $4C
Ooh. This could make for some interesting levels... >:)
Indeed. And it isn't even irritating me..
Neither. I'll be looking forward to the mod when it is released... When will it be released?
#Keen's shot kills stuff and him
%patch $7CE3 $10 $00
You may wish to see how the bullet spawns with keen first: sometimes the bullet can kill keen the instant he fires.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Oooh;

From what I've seen, the Keen community is going to be very surprised and entertaind in upcoming months; it shall be a summer of modding!
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

lesse, who is working on a mod now: Me, LL, KR, stealthy and ceilick.

Indeed, K:M is quite active. :)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Don't forget Ret8! :) He's working on some serious sh1t!
And that Zero Diamond's the Ian Burton Adventure is going to be pretty neat too..

And there might be more.. Cool!
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

KeenRush wrote:Don't forget Ret8! :) He's working on some serious sh1t!
And that Zero Diamond's the Ian Burton Adventure is going to be pretty neat too..

And there might be more.. Cool!
Hooray for honorable mention!