Draggin Days Patches

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

But, is it possible to set ankh time at zero on leaving or dying in a level?
Hahaha. Keen3 does that automaticly, you don't need a patch. If you wish to set ankh time to xx when entering a level:

Code: Select all

# Set Ankh time to xx secs (xx * 144 = $abcd) when entering level
# (side-effect: won't turn off God mode when entering level)
%patch $81CE  $C7 $06 $46 $99 $cd $ab
and:

# Set Ankh flashing time (when time running out) to when there's x seconds left (x * 144 = $abcd)
%patch $84FE  $cd $ab

# The "invincibility sprite" is not shown until the "time running out" 
# time is reached (even for God mode).
# SIDE EFFECT: with God mode on, once the timer is depleted,
# the "time running out" frames will continue to flash.
%patch $8502 $EB $74

# The ankh does not make Keen invincible
%patch $7918  $EB
I would also like a patch that modifies the height of the vorticon's jump for keen3, and a patch that changes the height of keen's shot for keen3.
hmm. I'm sure I saw those *somewhere*...

EDIT: typo.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Freeyorp101 wrote:
Hahaha. Keen3 does that automaticly, you don't need a patch.
No, it doesn't. It resets the counter to 0 only when you enter a level. Try exiting a level while you've still got some ankh time left, and then hit space on the map, and you'll see.

I have a vague memory of patching this (along with numerous other aspects) for XkyKeen3 -- Have a look at it to see.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Could you make it spawn a dying vortininja when shot?
Easily done!

#Foob doesn't die when it hits Keen, spawns a dead Vortninj when shot 
%patch $3E43 $CD $49
This will take the same number of shots to kill as a vortninja!
Those foob patches are indeed helpful. Could I have a foob invinciblity patch (I guess that means making elevators killable, and giving foob standard elevator strength?), and possibly a "2 sprites are spawned on foob death patch?" Ideally, one dead foob and one living foob? I know that sounds like a contradiction, but it isn't. You'll see.
When another sprite 'uses' a death, the old sprite can still use this feath so;

#Foob doesn't die at all
%patch $3E43 $00 $6A
Getting the Foob to spawn a live sprite when shot is more difficult; Xtra replaced the dead sprite code with the code for a new sprite, but the vort had an unusually large amount of 'dying space' I could almost *almost* make a dea Foob spawn a platform [if I had 3 more spaces!] As yet I haven't figured out how to make a dead sprite spawn a live one, sorry.

You will probbably also want this:

#Foob doesn't stop scharging when it hits a wall
%patch $4B7A $2C $4B
This should be done automatically. However:

#Amount of Ankh time given per Ankh [1 second = 144 ]
#Here 30s (30*144 = 10E0) 
%patch $7BA3  $E0 $10 

#Amount of Ankh time Keen has when starting a level
# Here 36 secs (41 * 144 = $1440)
%patch $81CE $C7 $06 $46 $99 $40 $14 

#Ankh flashing time [1 second = 144]
#Here 5s remaining [5*144 = 02D0]
%patch $84FE  $D0 $02 
# The "invincibility sprite" is not shown until the "time running out" time is reached (even for God mode). 
%patch $8502 $EB $74 

%patch $7918 $EB 

# The ankh does not stop vortikids from knocking over Keen 
%patch $7C8A $EB
I would also like a patch that modifies the height of the vorticon's jump for keen3, and a patch that changes the height of keen's shot for keen3. I looked for both of these in the patch index, but I couldn't find them.
Well; they're there now! [Especially for you]

#Vorticon jump height
%patch $418D $2C $01

Keens shot height
%patch $7CF9 $00 $09
Enjoy!
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

WOW that's a lot of patches in a short time!. LL you outdid yourself. Hopefully these will keep me happy for awhile.

A patch that allows you to change the bwb megarocket messages to other levels would be nice, but that probably isn't possible.

Could someone tell me how foobs charge? Is it based off of keen's height just like a garg?
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

Im not sure what it does do, but I know it can't be directly height based since the foob screams even if the height is different. on the other hand, some foobs don't scream untill you bash into them and the adrenaline kils them. >:)
#Amount of Ankh time given per Ankh [1 second = 144 ]
#Here 30s (30*144 = 10E0)
%patch $7BA3 $E0 $10

#Amount of Ankh time Keen has when starting a level
# Here 36 secs (41 * 144 = $1440)
%patch $81CE $C7 $06 $46 $99 $40 $14

#Ankh flashing time [1 second = 144]
#Here 5s remaining [5*144 = 02D0]
%patch $84FE $D0 $02
# The "invincibility sprite" is not shown until the "time running out" time is reached (even for God mode).
%patch $8502 $EB $74

%patch $7918 $EB

# The ankh does not stop vortikids from knocking over Keen
%patch $7C8A $EB
Thats from xkykeen3, right?
This will take the same number of shots to kill as a vortninja!
Ooh. Added bonus! :)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Thats from xkykeen3, right?
Yes.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

But of course. However, I'm investigating his use of tiles; expect to see an interesting patch sometime this year.

Could someone tell me how foobs charge? Is it based off of keen's height just like a garg?
Garg code:

*check for Keen*
If keen head cordinates 2 tiles above ground I'm one then *charge*
If else, keep walking

Foob code:

*check for Keen*
If Keen on left then *run right*
If Keen on right then *run left*
Else keep walking

While the garg checks if Keens head is standing a certain height above its head [where each sprite would be 'spawned' in the level] The Foob doesn't care where Keen is. I have made a patch that makes the Garg behave the same way Freeyorps TUIT mod uses it, it makes them much more vicious.
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

I have made a patch that makes the Garg behave the same way Freeyorps TUIT mod uses it
err... do you mean my keenwarp1 or stealthy's TUIT?
Foob code:

*check for Keen*
If Keen on left then *run right*
If Keen on right then *run left*
Else keep walking
So when does the foob check for keen? And, when does the garg check for keen? is it a random amount of time or is there some code which says when x happens, check for keen?

There is some patch which changes the gargs height difference before charging, so if you set it to would it be like a foob in the aspect that it seems to not care where keen is ($FF should be WAY above the level)?
However, I'm investigating his use of tiles;
Whose use of tiles?

----

Can't wait until these patches are put into a mod. Looking forward to it! :)
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Freeyorp: actually TUIT was just a joke name for the thread. The actual name is Keen: Universe- Aliens Ate My Homework.

Could a patch be made so that the foob checks for keen's height? What I was going to do was I was going to change keen's height for his standing frames and keep it in the others, thus ideally the foob would only charge when keen was walking.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

err... do you mean my keenwarp1 or stealthy's TUIT?
Forgive me great Yorp; your KeeWarp does. It makes it so much harder to kill em when they spend all their time running after you.
So when does the foob check for keen? And, when does the garg check for keen? is it a random amount of time or is there some code which says when x happens, check for keen?
Well, first we look at the Foobs behaviours;

%patch $3E3E $0C $4A #Walk, bounce off walls, search for Keen [Foob default]
%patch $4AA8 $2C $4B #Scream and run [When Keen is spotted]
%patch $4B7A $D8 $4A #Keep running [When Foob is running and hits a wall, or spots Keen when running]
%patch $83AE $0C $4A #Walk, bounce off walls, search for Keen [After Foob runs, and goes offscreen]
The Foob reads from a random number table generated in Keen to decide when it will search for Keen. It can search for Keen when running away or walking around aimlessly. Gargs and Yorps are different; both will stand still and look around before charging at Keen. The Yorps will head toward whatever side of the screen Keen is on, while the Gargs will only do this if Keens head is 'level' with theirs.
There is some patch which changes the gargs height difference before charging, so if you set it to would it be like a foob in the aspect that it seems to not care where keen is ($FF should be WAY above the level)?

Incorrect; this changes the code differently. The Garg always checks wether its head and Keens head are a certain vertical difference apart. A Garg will charge if you are falling past it while it is searching. What the height patches do is change this vertical amount. So for example you can make a Garg charge only if Keen is 2 tiles below it, of 5 tiles above. The code is very specific [8 pixel range] You've already seen and used the patch that makes it act Foob like [charge at Keen wherever he is]
Whose use of tiles?
Xky's, or rather Andy's he seems to have modified the 'nothing' tile in an interesting way. I wish to use some tiles not used in Keen 3, like teleporter.
Could a patch be made so that the foob checks for keen's height? What I was going to do was I was going to change keen's height for his standing frames and keep it in the others, thus ideally the foob would only charge when keen was walking.
1.) Height checking does not involve the hitbox. Your hitboxes would have to be bigger/smaller when walking, this isn't much of a problem.

2.) The Foob code is lacking something. While it is easy to remove code from the Garg, it is much harder to add code where there is no space. I'll see what I can do, but I am no Andy or Xtra.
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

so setting it to $FF would seemingly make the garg never charge? That would explain a lot. :)
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I've spent a lot of the day doing patch experimentation, and I've gotten some rewarding effects, one of which I may decide to keep a secret until this thing comes out.

I believe LL stated earlier that you can't add more then one frame to a given sprite. Here's an exception.

%patch $4BCE $72 $00
%patch $4BCB $06 $00 
This patch has more than one frame added for Jack. I've managed to add I believe up to 3 frames through random fiddling. Somehow, I managed to patch an interesting glitch somewhere in these lines, I think the top one, in which the Jack left behind harmless flashing pictures of itself and the 1 frame of the spark that I added to it as it bounced around the box I put it in. It looked very cool, and could be used to try to disguise the Jack, or make the tail of a comet, adding a challenge to the level. After about a minute-minute and a half of this, it began cleaning up its own...glitchiness...until it eventually went back to normal. I lost it trying to add a better sprite, and I can't find it. If someone here could, that would be nice.

I would also like a patch for the meep. I want the meep's shots to be spawned at random heights. I'm using the soundwave appears from the left side of the screen patch, and want to make a sort of Tempest effect. I have it set so both left and right shots come from there. If a patch could be made so that the left shots come from the right side of the screen, that would be good.

I played with the jetpack ankh patch. It doesn't seem to work- I can use the pogo regardless of whether I have time or not. Am I not supposed to have the pogo when I first get the time, or some special prerequisite like that?

I've also been trying to make the Jack or the Ball transform into a Vortimom, but because they only have one behavior, it doesnt seem to work. Is this somehow possible, to have them not change instantly, but shortly after they appear? Then I can have Vortimoms teleport!

Is there any way to make sprites move like other sprites, but not have them change into them? I would like to have the foob move sort of like the ball, or keen on the map- some form of free motion. The idea is that the foob could then charge at keen and home in on him. I can already get the foob to change directions in mid air, charging at keen. (complete accident-side effect of other patching)

I would also like a patch that makes keen's shots deadly to himself. When you use the patch that freezes the meep's shot after two tiles, and then keen's shot, keen's shot reverses direction after you shoot the meep. I want to turn this into a trap, causing the shot to turn around and shoot keen in the back.

Whew, I think thats all for now. I hoping to have every sprite have some good patching, making them all unique.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

I believe LL stated earlier that you can't add more then one frame to a given sprite. Here's an exception.
Incorrect. It is impossible to add more than one animation frame to EGASPRIT.CK3 [Although maybe...hmmm....]

The usual 'maximum' number of animation frames for ANY animation is around 8 Giving the Jack 8 frames is as simple as:

%patch $4BCB $07 $00 #Frames used
After about a minute-minute and a half of this, it began cleaning up its own...glitchiness...until it eventually went back to normal. I lost it trying to add a better sprite, and I can't find it. If someone here could, that would be nice.
The problem is to get it to work on all computers, its very sensitive to memory demands, even recoloring your sprite can make it go away. [Yeah, I've seen it, I'm the patch tormentor here]
I've also been trying to make the Jack or the Ball transform into a Vortimom, but because they only have one behavior, it doesnt seem to work. Is this somehow possible, to have them not change instantly, but shortly after they appear? Then I can have Vortimoms teleport!
Good luck; the Jack and Ball code is the smallest in the game; they're even smaller than icecubes. However, I have found a way to make four different ball and jack speeds, for a total of 8 'different' sprites. You shall see this in the next patchwork mod.
Is there any way to make sprites move like other sprites, but not have them change into them? I would like to have the foob move sort of like the ball, or keen on the map- some form of free motion. The idea is that the foob could then charge at keen and home in on him. I can already get the foob to change directions in mid air, charging at keen.
There's a problem here; the Jacks and Balls have two speeds, a verticl and horizontal, stored in two different locations in memory. I'm looking at how to make the Vertical platform horizontal, through differences in their code, but I doubt you'll be able to give a sprite a whole new speed. It is however possible to change sprites.

By this I mean you can make the foob use the vortikid behaviour and the vortikid use the Foob behaviour, and change around their sprites and deaths, then each moves like the other while not 'being' different.
I would also like a patch that makes keen's shots deadly to himself. When you use the patch that freezes the meep's shot after two tiles, and then keen's shot, keen's shot reverses direction after you shoot the meep. I want to turn this into a trap, causing the shot to turn around and shoot keen in the back.

Have you looked at and/or read the Keen 3 sprite patches files? This is as simple as; section 3, interaction:

%patch $7CE3 $0F $00 #Kills sprites [Used by Keens shot]
%patch $4D95 $10 $00 #Kills sprites and Keen [Used by horz gun shot]
So our patch will thus be:

#Keens shots kill him as well.
%patch $7CE3 $10 $00
Careful, you'll need to spawn his shot so it doesn't touch him normally!

Now tell us your patches! You can't just be selfish and keep them all to yoruself!
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

It's really one patch in particular that is really cool. I kind of want to be the first to have it in a mod- unless someone else finds it- its pretty simple- but its incredibly cool nonetheless. If you want, I'll email it to you, just don't tell anyone else about it. I'm planning on having it be instrumental in the boss level, and then I think I'll make a mod based on it, among other things.
I would also like a patch for the meep. I want the meep's shots to be spawned at random heights. I'm using the soundwave appears from the left side of the screen patch, and want to make a sort of Tempest effect. I have it set so both left and right shots come from there. If a patch could be made so that the left shots come from the right side of the screen, that would be good.

I played with the jetpack ankh patch. It doesn't seem to work- I can use the pogo regardless of whether I have time or not. Am I not supposed to have the pogo when I first get the time, or some special prerequisite like that?

What about this?

Edit: I wanted to email Xky awhile ago, but my parents wouldn't let me, so I dunno.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Well, I think you *will* be the first to use it in a mod anyway, but its not nice to keep patches to yourself, Xky did that and it was annoying. I could've kept all my patches to myself too, which would make me a real b**** but I shared mine. At least email it to me.

Plzz?

The jetpack ankh doesn't work like that; you can fly like godmode when you have ankh time, but can still use the pogo when you don't; it just won't fly you to the ceiling.

Sorry, I have no idea how to impliment random Meep shot heights.