Keen 1 special tiles in tileset?

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Retodon8

Keen 1 special tiles in tileset?

Post by Retodon8 »

Has anybody made a description of Keen 1's tileset, specifically about the tiles with special functions?
A while ago I started a mod of my own, and I wanted to basically rearrange all the regular tiles with TileEdit.
(I fixed the (since broken) images which bumped the thread, which is not what I wanted.)

I started editing the original tiles, but that layout wasn't the best for me, so that's part of the reason why I stopped.
I was testing levels with background tiles that were blocking Keen and other silliness like that, because I didn't feel like rearranging everything before being sure I wouldn't have to redo it.
Now I just want to continue and finish this thing! :)

Leaving the point items alone isn't even necesary I think, but I'll probably leave them be (change them into my point items) anyway.
Then there's the background tile, which I'll leave alone as well.
I think it's best not to touch the falling block tiles.
(I'm planning on using that in level gameplay, not as the "gimmick" it was in Keen 1.)
Then there's the "Done" blocks after finishing levels I'll leave alone.
Teleporter tiles I'll leave alone as well.

What about the unused light switch; can I use that tile as any other regular tile?
What about the many black tiles near the bottom?
Earth, Mars, the Vorticon Mothership, and the "!" are no-touchy of course.
I don't think I recognise the grid lines... are they usable?
I haven't looked up how the cities/levels work, so I don't know if I need to leave those 1x1 and 2x2 tiles alone.

I think those are all the special tiles...
Slipperiness, blocking in any direction, and killing, are applicable to every regular tile.

Anyway, sorry for the clumsiness of this post; I hope somebody can help me anyway! :)
Freeyorp101

tiles

Post by Freeyorp101 »

I haven't looked up how the cities/levels work, so I don't know if I need to leave those 1x1 and 2x2 tiles alone.
The levels are marked by sprites o top of the tiles, it doesn't care what the tiles are.
Has anybody made a description of Keen 1's tileset, specifically about the tiles with special functions?
hmmm...

there are four sides to a tile, each side can be blocking, or non-blocking(blocking means keen and stuff can't go through that direction)

The top can also be set to 'slippery' or 'ice' functions.

Then there are the general behavior options:

-nothing
-kills keen
-door1
-door2
-door3
-door4
-500 points
-100 points
-200 points
-1000 points
-5000 points
-joystick (keen1 only)
-battery (keen1 only)
-vaccum (keen1 only
-whiskey (keen1 only
-raygun
-pogo stick
-exit door (to avoid accidents, only the two left hand tiles which keen walks through should be used as exit setting. the remainder should be set to nothing usually, though some interesting effects have been managed with other properties. thats about all you need to leave alone, but with a quick patch you can put them anywhere you want)
-keycard1
-keycard2
-keycard3
-keycard4
-message popup
-light switch (acts as bridge switch unless specific tile, dunno which one yet)
-teleporter (in level teleporer, map teleporters are sprites laid over the tile which should be left as 'nothing' property)
-switch on(?)
-switch off(?)
-ankh (keen3 ONLY)

------

-masked (uses next tile as mask)
-fore ground (completely maked)

then for animation you can have 2 or four animations in a row. animations cannot be masked.
Last edited by Freeyorp101 on Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Leaving the point items alone isn't even necesary I think, but I'll probably leave them be (change them into my point items) anyway.
Then there's the background tile, which I'll leave alone as well.
Note 1: There are 2 background tiles; you'll notice if you add more point tiles into the bottom half of the tileset, these will use another tile as their background. [Its somewhere around tile 500 I think]

Note 2: with this patch, tiles behave just like in Keen 3:

Code: Select all

#Keen 1 background tiles behave like Keen 3
%patch $4409      $26 $8B $07 $B6 $0D $F6 $FE 
%patch $4410  $F6 $EE $26 $89 $07 $E9 $60 $01 

%patch $4482  $E9 $74 $FF 
%patch $44BA  $E9 $3C $FF 
%patch $4513  $E9 $E3 $FE 

%patch $28EC                  $26 $8B $07 $B6 
%patch $28F0  $0D $F6 $FE $F6 $EE $26 $89 $07 
%patch $28F8  $03 $1E $08 $6C $03 $1E $08 $6C 
%patch $2900  $26 $89 $07 $90 $90 $90 $90 $90 
I think it's best not to touch the falling block tiles.
There are a range of patches, not only to change what tiles the falling block uses, but also how big the falling block is, and how far it falls. If you want anything specific done to the falling block, just ask and I can give you the patches. For now,here are the tiles it uses:

#Change the block tiles
%patch $23CD $DC $01 #top l corner
%patch $2436 $DD $01 #top middle
%patch $24B6 $DE $01 #top r corner
%patch $23EF $E9 $01 #bottom l corner
%patch $2458 $EA $01 #bottom middle
%patch $24D8 $EB $01 #bottom left

#Change the tiles the block leaves behind
%patch $23AB $9B $00 #left
%patch $2414 $9B $00 #middle
%patch $2494 $9B $00 #right
Then there's the "Done" blocks after finishing levels I'll leave alone.

#Change the Done tile markers
# Single tile "Done" marker 
%patch $7D88  $4D $00 

# Four-tile "Done" marker 
%patch $7DFC  $4F $00
%patch $7E14  $50 $00 
%patch $7E2A  $51 $00 
%patch $7E43  $4E $00 
What about the unused light switch; can I use that tile as any other regular tile?
What about the many black tiles near the bottom?
Earth, Mars, the Vorticon Mothership, and the "!" are no-touchy of course.
Wrong, these can all be used. Open level81.ck1, that is where the earth, and mars tiles are used, as well as a bit in level90.ck1 the ! tile isn't used at all. The unused lightswitch, and indeed, the lightswitch is useable, just change their proprties with tileinfo. Same goes with the grid tiles, they're whats left over of the origional grid the tileset was drawn on.

As it was said; levels are marked by walk on sprites [e.g 12 for level 12] and blocking sprites [e.g 12* for a level 12 blocking sprite] When Keen finnishes a level, the single or four square of sprites used for that level is replaced with the done markers, no matter what tiles are underneath them. Note that only single squares, or four squares of sprites can be used, any other arrangement and the done markers will not appear and the level can be done again and again [if you save then load your game]

Freeyorp forgot the following points;

Raygun works for all keens!
There are patches for the exit door that can alter or stop the tiles changing
You can patch which tile is the lightswitch tile
Switch on and switch off are used for bridge switches, you can patch which tile they are, but by default they're the same as in Keen 2 and will animate if made these tiles.
Retodon8

Post by Retodon8 »

I waited a bit replying, hoping to have something else to say/ask after a bit, but nothing yet.
So I'd better not wait any longer and thank you people for the replies. :)
(Only now I find this mentioning: "Be sure NOT to change the location of the 'done' tiles, the 4 ship parts, or the 2 blank 'sky' tiles (light grey and black).")

I started working on my tiles again this weekend, but I have yet to reorder and reprogram everything so it's easier to use for me/my mod.
I'd prefer to not use patches for the reordering, but I suppose that's a possibility as well.
I do plan on using patches on the enemies though.

I just thought of a plot for my mod too... yay! :)
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

"Be sure NOT to change the location of the 'done' tiles, the 4 ship parts, or the 2 blank 'sky' tiles (light grey and black)."
It really isn't hard to patch them at all. you can even find a use for winCalculator for changing dec to hex values :)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Indeed, that's old information. They can be easily changed by now. :)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Indeed, the entire tileset can now be moulded to our wishes. And the Keen 2 and 3 tilesets are almost as good.