The Items Screen

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Ilsoap

The Items Screen

Post by Ilsoap »

About the items screen which shows things like Points, Ammo, etc... how much can it be altered? I'm guessing that the entire screen is made up entirely of tiles from the 1FON0000.bmp file, but Xtraverse's Patch-o-Tron only edits the words. I don't need to edit the locations of the items, just the background image that it appears on... is it possible?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

You can change the blank 8 x 8 tiles in that font bmp and the others from tiles bmp. :) That should do the needed color changes/picture changes.
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

I'm pretty sure those are actually tiles..the 8x8 tiles that depict the items are used in the help file, but adurding may prove me wrong.
JosephBurke

Post by JosephBurke »

Just tested it, it is the one white tile in 1FON0000.bmp.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Just tested it, it is the one white tile in 1FON0000.bmp.
That's what I meant..
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

adsf

Post by xtraverse »

oops I read that wrong, I thought he said he DID need to change the location of the items. My mistake.
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

Well, yes, I could change the white to a different color or pattern by altering the blank spot in the 1FON0000.bmp... but that creates two problems. One, every white blank tile in the help file and story files would get changed as well, and two, I want to be able to put different tiles in different places in that menu.

Let me explain in a different way. Right now, the area behind the Keen sprites for the LIVES area is all one white tile, right? I'd estimate that area to be 11 tiles wide by 3 high, but I'm not exactly sure. Now, let's say I wanted one of those tiles in that white area to be the tile for "A" instead, or one of the other letters. How might I go about doing that?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

If that's possible, I don't think it's as easy as changing those texts.. Probably adudin has somekind of answer. :)
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

I'm hoping that as well. I'm sure it's not as hard as some of the other stuff he's already done for mods.
Dr.Villain
Location: An underground Fortress in an unassuming suburban neighborhood

Post by Dr.Villain »

You could always unlz and hex edit it.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Added to my (long) list (though not necessarily at the bottom). It'll be a couple of weeks before I can do much more in the way of patches, though.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hmmm, what do you have on your list? Have you got requests via e-mail or just added yourself? :)
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

Thanks, andy. No rush.
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

Any progress on this? I'd like to know before I release a beta of it if possible.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

I haven't looked into it yet. I'm going to be spending the next few days frantically writing up my final report. If you'd like this reasonably quickly, I can get to it within a week or so (no more than two weeks, probably less).
If you could email me a mock-up image showing the kind of changes you're interested in (not necessarily the exact thing, just a rough idea), it'd give me a better idea of exactly what you want.

Cheers,

Andrew