Sprite patches [Rearrangemnt update]

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Sprite patches [Rearrangemnt update]

Post by levellord »

It recently dawned on me that the way I was storing sprite related patches in my patch index left a hell of a lot to be desired, and also that there were several blank areas in sprite patching.

As such I have compiled all known sprite patches into a huge friggin text document that has at least *some* structure in order to make it 'easier' to find and use sprite patches. But this is not just a collection of previous patches, it also contains a multitude of new patches [Like Keen's shot speed, animation patches and the discoverey that there are in total 27 sprites in the Keen game]

Now why post it here instead of the Keen 1 patches forum? Because as yet this is just a beta; while it contains pretty much all sprite patches possible at this point in time, I want people suggestions on how I can organize, rearrange and improve the layout of this document, as well as any suggestions for content that needs adding or things that need more explaining.

So without further ado, here is the current sprite directory:
http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/Index/K ... 20Patches/

Take a browse, you may find a few patches you've wanted for a while, and *please* give me feedback!
Last edited by levellord on Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
CommanderSpleen

teh spr1t3z0rz!!

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Wow. You've gone all out on this stuff. I'll check it out properly when I'm not so tired--it's saved to my desktop so it's bound to get noticed.

From what I've read so far, great work. Who'd have thought your downright scary patching history could lead to something like this?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Wow, it's pretty nifty document, for sure! Didn't read it completely, but looks fine this far.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

I'm considering doing something simalar for Keens 2&3 [And then maybe Dreams] but I'm not sure if anyone'll use them since most mods are Keen 1.
XkyRauh

wow

Post by XkyRauh »

That's awesome. Excellent work, LL!
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Ypdate!

Post by levellord »

When Andy first patched the Vorticon strength, it was the first measure of control, over later months mre strengths and behaviours were added

Then Xtra started the Sprites topic and gave us a framework, listing most of several important values in neat lists.

Then I did my whopping big document, listing all of what I knew about sprites.

And yet there was something missing...

Well; KR reminded me of Xtra's work on sprite behaviours. Pity Xtra didn't label things better than 'Some Garg behaviour' and left out all the offsets and the fact that they can occur several times and basically tell you the sprite structure.

Well check out the updated version at: http://www.freewebs.com/gannalev/Sprite%20patches.txt Check out section 2.) especially, I think you'll like what I've done...
XkyRauh

hmm

Post by XkyRauh »

Hmm...
#The level is finnished when any two bots colide.
%patch $17CC $04
So, theoretically, if this worked with the Scrubs in Keen2, someone could create PuzzleMod, involving tracking two Scrubs to meet somehow in the level, to exit? :) That could be a lot of fun...

Again, LevelLord, this is superb documentation--congratulations!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Gotta agree with Xky, it's entirely superb!
CommanderSpleen

Gravellord

Yeah, same with the butler bots. In fact, they have the option of either finishing the level or losing it, which means the reverse of that puzzle could be done.

Have you found whether gravity is managed by some central function or inbuilt to each sprite's code somehow? If it's the latter then in theory gravity could be reversed for a single sprie, which would be really classy.
Freeyorp101

mmm

Post by Freeyorp101 »

#Keen has a Machine Gun!
%patch 0x3E24 $90 $90
is there a way to control the rate of fire?
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Have you found whether gravity is managed by some central function or inbuilt to each sprite's code somehow? If it's the latter then in theory gravity could be reversed for a single sprie, which would be really classy
Nope; central function. However wether a sprite is affected by gravity depends on its behaviours; for example the Tank Bot, Butler Bot, icecudes [and cubettes] and the bullet among others are immune to gravity. When I figure out the trigger I'll create a new section which will allow you to turn gravity off one behaviour at a time

is there a way to control the rate of fire?

No; the patch works by destroying the code that makes Keen need to press shoot again to fire, so he fires at maximum speed. You can however alter his shot's speeds.
najawa

Post by najawa »

Could you possibly make it so that the speed of the shots allow keen to fire at his maximum output, and make the shots fast enough so that they dont blow eachother up; this would mean some wicked fast firing, but would also allow the mential whimps to create mods, or patched up games in which they don't need to mess with the mask...

I would add myself to the elite mential whimps; I can do it... but I consider it to be a bit to... boring...

-- NAJAWA --
CommanderSpleen

It worked fine as a laser in Generic Mod 1. I couldn't find any patch that changed the sprite speed, so I presume it was just an 8 pixel wide sprite.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Its very difficult to fiddle with speed to make the bullets move fast enough for one to get out of the way of others, but try:

Code: Select all

%patch $46EE $00 $00 #Speed down [i.e, none]
%patch $4704 $00 $04 #Speed right for Keen's right shot
%patch $4779 $00 $FC #Speed left for Keen's left shot
[I like making Keen's shots float sloly upward; if you make it slow it can be made into a bubble that slowly floats upwards until it pops on the ceiling]
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Just a tensy update; fiddled a few mistaikes I made [For example, I left out Keen's falling sprite] and now you can change Keens walking and standing animations

And nice to see you back Andy, Yay!