BUILDING QUESTION: Those bridges in Keen 1.. :)

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

BUILDING QUESTION: Those bridges in Keen 1.. :)

Post by KeenRush »

Hi, as you know, at least if you have played Grelphy's mod, you have seen those bridges, that you can see in Keen 2, and they come when you press that button, in Keen 1.
So, the question is, could someone (adurdin for example), tell how to build those things? Grelphy tried to explain something, but he wasn't so sure about that then and I think I need something more detailed, and the e-mail seems to be lost too.. :o
So, hope you can help - those can make level design a bit more interesting. :)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Somebody, anybody, can you help me? :)
grelphy

Bridges

Post by grelphy »

A bridge is supposed to be a sprite over the switch with a value equal to
xxyy where xx and yy are the location of the bridge in hex. (You have to convert it to decimal for it to work with Keenedit.)

However, my Keen 1 mod seemed to be defying the rules, and that didn't work... It was really just trial and error that got that bridge there.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

The xx and yy coordinates are relative to the switch location; so that if the bridge should start two tiles above and five tiles to the right of the siwtch, the hex number would be yyxx, or FE05 (because FE is -2 for a one-byte value). In DOS KeenWright, you can enter this as &HFE05 in the custom sprite number place.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hmmm, thanks. :) I'll try to take a look at it.
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

ahh..the positions are relative..that's why I got the bridge in my mod to work by trial and error.
Yowza

Post by Yowza »

A bridge-creator would be a great addition to a level editor by the way... As in, you click where the switch is, then click where the bridge is, and it does the calculations for you :).
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

That's been added to my list of things to do for Keen Rehash...after I finish optimizing it. I've finally figured out that my zooming mechanism was slowing down the entire program, even when you turned it off, so I'm entirely redoing that.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

No success.. :(

Post by KeenRush »

I'm pretty sorry about digging up this topic, but I really can't get it done.. :(
Could someone write a small "Keen bridges for dummies"? Like something example and explain it as "detailedly" as possible?
I've tried with that &HFE05 and placed it over the switch tile, but all it does is changing lights on and off.
Have I even understood this correct, doesn't the bridge need any ending coordinates, and it's starting coordinates are tiles up or down and left or right from the switch?
Aaargh, I want to learn this and I need it! :)
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

It sounds like you're using the light switch tile. You want to use the pull switch tile.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Yes, I am using the light switch. Is there that other switch in Keen 1?
Oh, and could someone please help..
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Oh, in Keen 1 ... I'm sorry, I didn't realize. See if you can change tiles' properties, and make one a bridge switch.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

First of all: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGHHHH!!!!
I tried changing it's properties to that, but it didn't help.
And I accidentally replaced my patch file, now I need to do all the stuff again.. Or well, most of the patches are from here, but I need to change lots of numbers. And all the text replacing in it was my own work, now I need to do it again.. :(
MultiMania
Patch Master

Post by MultiMania »

If you do set the properties and add a sprite for the bridge.

I got it working, also the switch doesn't animate. :(
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Could you send me example level, please! :)
Yeah, it doesn't animate. I wonder is there any way to change that (if for example in the code there is "animate" code, but both of tiles are set to be the same)..