PATCH QUESTION: Greater level capacity

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
CommanderSpleen

PATCH QUESTION: Greater level capacity

Post by CommanderSpleen »

I have a number of level-related questions that seem slightly more likely than other questions I've speculated in the CKCM. As follows:

1. I've noticed that the Keen1-3 engine only seems to support, for all practical purposes, a maximum of 16 levels. Is there any way to increase this amount?

2. Is it possible to allow Keen to keep excess keycards after exiting a level? I assume there'd be a level exit algorithm somewhere that would remove these from Keen's inventory that could be overridden somehow?

3. Can a 'quitter exit' be created that simply kicks Keen out of the level without spawning the DONE sign?

If at least the first two can be done, then there are a lot more interesting possibilities. In paricular, gateway levels could be constructed, where the only way to access map areas beyond the level is to find a spare key in another level. The third patch would simply be a bonus that would mean Keen can back out of a gateway level without having to kill himself if he doesn't have the necessary key.

>Commander Spleen
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

1. As you may know, > 16 levels can work in certain circumstances. Making these work reliably ought to be possible; the problem is that when saving and loading games, it only stores the level state for 16 levels; in the same way, the level state for only 16 levels is stored during the game.
Changing this would probably be possible, definitely be difficult; but I think it would probably be worth it. I'll look into it.

2. This would be quite straightforward. Of course, using it the way you suggest would mean that you'd probably have to avoid using keycards and doors in other levels.

3. Probably possible, and fairly simple. But this would be less easy than (2). Also, a 'gateway' level such as you propose with a 'quitter exit' might not be such a good thing: it would allow a player to play through the level, collecting points, and exit via the quitter exit, thus amassing as many points, lives, and probably shots as they wish. Probably a better way to effect this would be to create some tiles on the map that act like the doors--so that Keen cannot pass through without the items.
CommanderSpleen

Woo! Cool!

Post by CommanderSpleen »

As you may know, > 16 levels can work in certain circumstances.
Yeah... I did some experimenting with that... not very pleasant results for the most part when returning to the map after completing a level, though.
Changing this would probably be possible, definitely be difficult; but I think it would probably be worth it. I'll look into it.
Cool as! :)
This would be quite straightforward. Of course, using it the way you suggest would mean that you'd probably have to avoid using keycards and doors in other levels.
You're right there. Hmm... would it be possible to create a fifth keycard colour?
Also, a 'gateway' level such as you propose with a 'quitter exit' might not be such a good thing: it would allow a player to play through the level, collecting points, and exit via the quitter exit, thus amassing as many points, lives, and probably shots as they wish.
Yeah. I thought that. If (1) can be persued, though, then a gateway level need only be small, and without any points or anything else along the way, without sacrificing precious levels.
Probably a better way to effect this would be to create some tiles on the map that act like the doors--so that Keen cannot pass through without the items.
I was going to ask something like that, but figured it'd be less likely than (3). So that can be done? That'd be so cool! With a bit of imagination, obstacles similar to those in Keen6 could be created, too! :D

If you can do some of this stuff, that'd rock!

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hmmm, cool stuff ahead! :) So, it's possible to make "doors" to main map that require that Keen has for example something item collected?