The ordering info scrub

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Ezjay

The ordering info scrub

Post by Ezjay »

Because I enlarged the scrub my ordering info screen is now kinda messed up. You see when the scrub is one tile sized, it moves along the border. When it's bigger, it moves only along the border when it's crawling up the left wall and moving right via the ceiling. On the left and down border he will go partially out of the screen, just a part as big as the original scrub will remain visible. Change your scrub's size to 48 x 32 to see what im talking about.
(Note that the path the scrub takes has nothing to do with what solid tiles are around him in level 80.)

Now not only does this look kinda weird, it's messing up the text too. When crawling up and left (when he's NOT partially out of view), any text he touches will disappear. I dont like that.

Is there a way to fix this problem, say for example totally delete this scrub from level 90, make him always go partially out of the screen, or even replace him with another enemy?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hmmm, too bad.. Probably it could be removed somehow, I've feeling that the scrub there might be just some code that scrolls scrub-pictures around the screen (instead of one scrub sprite being there and using different code for wall detections).
Ezjay

Post by Ezjay »

Yeah im quite sure you're right about that, just look at the keen1 ordering info screen.
Completely removing this code would be the best solution for my problem and it should probarly leave some free bytes too.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah, not to mention Keen 3's one. But I'm sorry, I don't know where that code is. It probably could be removed with some $90.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Rewriting the text to prevent some of it being written over is a partial solution, but otherwise I have no idea how to fix it.
Ezjay

Post by Ezjay »

I dont like the way this topic is slowly moving of my screen...
Ezjay

Post by Ezjay »

As my mod is almost done now, finally, would it be possible for the patchers to take another look at the possibilities? It would really look a lot better without it.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Have you tried fiddling with the tiles? Perhaps some of the sprite's code is in fact used. Have you tried boxing the sprite, or getting rid of all the blocks it can stand on?
XkyRauh

Re: The ordering info scrub

Post by XkyRauh »

EzJay already tried that, back in 2004...
Ezjay wrote:(Note that the path the scrub takes has nothing to do with what solid tiles are around him in level 80.)
It seems that the Ordering Info Scrub uses his own little snippet of code... and that's what he needs the patch for.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I can look at this after Mort day; I think I know where the code is, but getting the actual sprite to do something different will be difficult; normal sprites need to reference both move and touch tiles subroutines, which makes it wasy to see what they're doing; the ordering info screen sprites seem just to be animated frames.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

No, it's just a sprite image that's moved round the screen.

Patch here

That will stop the scrub being drawn on the ordering info screen -- that's all I've got time to do right now.
levellass

Post by levellass »

That's *exactly* what I said.

And you can control it's frame, animations, speed and where it goes too.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

levellass wrote:you can control it's frame, animations, speed and where it goes too.
Indeed; I was tempted to look into that, but I had to go catch the bus to work. I look forward to seeing your patches for it.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Is there any way we could put in a level?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Easy, but then the game crashes.
Indeed; I was tempted to look into that, but I had to go catch the bus to work. I look forward to seeing your patches for it.
Uh, I kinda deleted them, since you did yours; and I really don't have time to look them up for a while, all my keen projects have been jumbled.