alternative inputs for: savegame windows / entering highscore names

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Nisaba

alternative inputs for: savegame windows / entering highscore names

Post by Nisaba »

levellass wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:42 pm[...standard ASCII table...] I now have a complete understanding on how things like the savegame windows work (Inputs esc or 1-9) or the Yorp messages (Dismiss with 'enter') So any patches required to change their inputs are easy enough to generate.
We were talking about an alternative way of placing a name in the highscore section (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2886). I'm also interested in a comparable Vorticons solution as well.
Same goes for the savegame inputs. an up and down arrow solution for choosing the right save-slot would be neat.

depending on how ambitious these requests are, I'd like to discuss ideas and possible solutions with you.
levellass

Re: alternative inputs for: savegame windows / entering highscore names

Post by levellass »

It'd certainly take a bit of doing;I have a rough idea of how text input works but it'd need some serious research to see just what can and can't be done with it. I'm optimistic, but it won't be easy, especially in Vorticons which has a different setup to the somewhat more sensible Galaxy.
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

any news yet? are you still optimistic, that a solution can be found for this issue?
levellass

Post by levellass »

I am, but it's been busy (As always) and the changes to firefox have put a wrench in the works. I'm going to try and restart work on them in the new year.
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

you were complaining about the latest Firefox updates earlier. what's the issue over there? if you share your experience so maybe someone capable can help?! (probably not me, but...)
levellass

Post by levellass »

It updated to a totally new version that doesn't run any (ANY, not even my adblocker!) of my old extensions, including those I use to make patching easier and save my notes. It pretty much cut me out of patching, especially the involved stuff.
Nisaba

off topic: Firefox versions + addons

Post by Nisaba »

you can still use an older version of Firefox if you want to: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases
you could also run multiple instances at once. you only have to select a portable version: https://sourceforge.net/project/showfil ... _id=168825

while sharing links, you might wanna consider choosing an adblock which respects your private data. my personal recommendation: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... n/?src=api + https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

I hope this is helpful news for you.
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

I'm pretty happy that I discovered a workaround for saving and loading savestates. Here is what I did:
first I reduced the number of savegame entries to four. then I changed the standard ASCII values a bit. In my case to $77-$7A (w-z) is more useful. And finally I simply remapped the input keys to make sure they match the needed button layout.

Code: Select all

#Saving:
%patch $9B46 $1B #Esc 1
%patch $9B54 $1B #Esc 2
%patch $9B4A $77 #Slots start at w,x,y...
%patch $9B4E $7A #...and end at z

#Loading:
%patch $9CC5 $1B #Esc 1
%patch $9CCB $1B #Esc 2
%patch $9CBB $77 #Slots start at w,x,y...
%patch $9CBF $7A #...and end at z

All that's left by now is to figure out an alternative way to place a name in the high score section. I'm still looking for a patch for one of these two solutions:
  1. The same name is given each time the player gets a high score so that the table eventually fills with 'NAME'.
  2. (Complex but elegant:) May it be possible to make it so the up and down arrows increase\decrease a character and the -> arrow moves to the next, allowing the player to input a name with the arrow keys?

for this last task I'm hoping for a helping hand.