exit troubles

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
ian_kloro

exit troubles

Post by ian_kloro »

i encountered a problem with my exits... after i changed keen's size, whenever he goes out an exit , the blocks around the door change

it adds more of the door going down at the bottom right corner, and three blocks of grey squares
is it possible to fix this? the change occurs as keen is sliding into the door
JosephBurke

there's just too many gray spaces

Post by JosephBurke »

Those blocks are added regardless. What you did was make the door smaller than it was in the original game.

Andrew, it would be a good patch to change how many tiles make up one door. Well, really all I'm interested in is how it works; there's no practical reason to change the door size. Why were all those extra tiles needed?
JosephBurke

and uh

Post by JosephBurke »

Of course, I've never increased Keen's size dramatically, maybe you just need to make the door bigger.
ian_kloro

Post by ian_kloro »

i am confused
i kept the door the same size, 3x3 i just decreased keen's size
how would i change the door's size?
Last edited by ian_kloro on Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

The number of door tiles is hard to patch, but I imagine that the tiles that appear when you exit can be patched.

If you get desperate, edit the tiles so that you don't notice the tiles when you exit.

This setup helps:

...................eee
..............K...e..e
..............K...e..e
.............XXXe..e
.XXXXXXXXXXXX

When Keen steps forward he will be touching an exit AND standing on ground so he will exit, but the exit tiles will be shifted up 1 row because Keen was standing 1 row up. (This makes Keen walk on air)
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

My guess is that the extra tile are added as 'foreground' tiles, so that as Keen walks out the door, the whole Keen sprite will still be drawn (which makes things simpler), but will go behind these extra tiles.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

I think all of Keen is still being drawn.

Is this your problem? (Solution provided.)

KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Yes, I think Keen is drawn too.
I've noticed this (well, who hasn't) and there's that thing I avoid doing in level desing.
You see - when Keen goes "behind the door", as adurdin said, those light grey tiles (in unmodified Keen 1) are set to foreground tiles. That is annoying thing in many mods and levels I've played - if there is enemy behind the exit door, it will "disappear" because some blocks that usually were background is now foreground. Even worse if the enemy is standing behind blocks the way only half of it will show - other part of it is "replaced" by the foregrounded tiles and other part of it is visible as a foreground object on background. Hope you understand what I'm trying to say, a bit hard without a pic. (And I'm not at home right now, so I don't have my Keens etc..)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Indeed, given that though there should be a patch for that. On the other hand good level design conquers all.
XkyRauh

re: Doors

Post by XkyRauh »

While it's true that level design can get around that issue, it's also an opportunity for you to do something creative with your exit doors. Maybe you could make your exit platforms in the 3/4 view ala Keen4-6, and have that extra tile of the exit door make it extend into the foreground/third dimension?

The only problem with that is the foreground/background of Keen himself--you'll want to be sure to place your exits in a way that prevents gamers from seeing the tile--or TileInfo it to be foreground.

Another idea that comes to mind is to make that tile part of a stalk/wire/trunk/tube that runs up off the bottom of your level. Check out the Tantalus Ray structures in Keen 2--see how there's the thick power cord running up to each structure? That could be incorporated as the "back wall" of your exit doors.

Just depends on your mod.

--Xky ((post count ++)) :-P
CommanderSpleen

Exit Doors Are Fun

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Another idea that comes to mind is to make that tile part of a stalk/wire/trunk/tube that runs up off the bottom of your level.
I'm using a similar idea to this in CK:MB. I presume most of you have probably seen my exit doors in the various screenshots on Spleen Keen. Off the top of the door, a tube extends to the roof of the level, connecting to the border tile at the top. The door itself is formed by about three tiles, the rest are empty (except for the two on the far left which are set to Exit Door).

Doesn't look like there'd be a way around the appearance of foreground tiles at the right hand side of the doors, since they're integral to the way the effect works. So if it's a problem, looks like you'll need to devise some particularly creative level designs to work around it.

Can't wait to see 'em.

>Commander Spleen
ian_kloro

Post by ian_kloro »

:/ but those tiles don't appear in the original keen i still am very confused
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Sure they do, but you can't see them because there is already those tiles, and the tiles are just drawn on them.