Sprite problems.

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Djaser

Sprite problems.

Post by Djaser »

Some people might remember that I was working on a mod, I haven't done anything the last half year but I still want to finish it. I have created a new Keen sprite but for some reason the crashes and it messes up al the other sprites when I install it. Is someone here interested in helping me a bit with installing graphics and giving me some comments on the things I've already done? :)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ah, hi Djaser, glad to hear you're talking about that mod. I sure remember you told sometime that you were making a mod! :) Nice to hear you're going to finish it, I have sometimes wondered what has happened to that project..

Make sure your sprite width (if I remember correct) is possible to divide with 8. If I remember correct, height doesn't need to be like that..
Then, the other two boxes - the one in the middle is used only for defining what should be drawn from the first box, and the last box is collision detection box. It's rectangle based, so don't try to draw there other shapes!
Try to look at the way that stuff is done with original Keen sprites.
Drawing good sprites is hard (for me, at least) and annoying - but it's worth of it!

Hope you manage to do it!
Djaser

Post by Djaser »

Are you serious that the sprites must have original lenght, so eight for Keen? I had almost all the sprites done, that's means I have to redo them all :o
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

Nah they don't have to be the original width, just any width divisible by 8.
Djaser

Post by Djaser »

You mean like 8, 16, 24? :|
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

You misunderstood me Djaser - only thing I said is that divideable thing. :)

Yeah. Those numbers you said are fine - and remember, if your actual graphic is for example 24 pixels wide, multiply that by 3, to have 72 as the total width of the whole thing (the three boxes).
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

You say it crashes hmmm? Most often when a sprite is miss-sized the graphics just screw up. If your resized sprite still crashes your game send it to me, it sounds interesting.
Djaser

Post by Djaser »

Well I have no time to work on it till Sunday I will try it again then. And yes believe me it is intersting ;)
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

You don't necessarily have to redo your sprites, Djaser. You could create a sprite that's 10, 13, or 27 wide if you wanted to, all you'd have to do is make sure that the box that that sprite is in is divisible by 8 in its width. So a sprite 13 pixels wide would be in a box 16 wide, and the whole graphic would be 16 x 3 = 48 wide.

I've noticed that it's best to keep all the drawings for your sprites within the same sized box. So don't have Keen doing his walking animations in a box that's 24 x 16, and then have his pogo stick animations in a box that's 32 x 24. It helps in the long run for clarity.

And as for the height thing, sprites can be a non-8 number in their height. In Lego Keen, I needed a little extra space, so all of Keen's level animations were 25 high (except for the dying one).