newbah

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
ian_kloro

newbah

Post by ian_kloro »

hello, i am a complete noob, all i can do is change tiles and edit levels. can anyone help me by telling me how to modify sprites?
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Oooh yes. Pretty much all you can mod is the sprites size and appearance, but see here, here, and here

You obviously have Modkeen, so editing sprites will have only 4 basic rules:

1.)In the first square you can make the sprite look like anything you want. (It should have a black background)

2.)The second square should have a white background and a black spot the size and shape of your sprite. (But see here)

3.)The third rectangle should have a pink background, the grey don't matter too much.

4.)The rectangles must be the same size and all a sprites animatons should be the same size. (Or your sprite will sink through the floor) The rectangles can be any size dividable by four such as 8x12 or 16x32.

Let your imagination do the rest; if you really get stuck contact Xky, he seems to be really good at that kinda stuff.
ian_kloro

Post by ian_kloro »

okay ty :) but how do i actually edit the sprites? what file are they in?
ian_kloro

Post by ian_kloro »

i got it now... yay so nevermind
Last edited by ian_kloro on Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Try editing your posts instead of posting a new reply.

Edit: what is wOOt and nvm?
XkyRauh

re: getting started

Post by XkyRauh »

For starters, "w00t," "woot," "wOOt," and all variations there of are very similar to "Woohoo!" "Alright!" or "Yeah!" in their usage. Example: "Hey, check it out--I found my old Bubble Bobble cartridge for the NES!" "w00t! Let's play!"

nvm, much like lol (laughing out loud) or w/b (welcome back) is internet shorthand for 'nevermind.'

To elaborate a bit on what levellord said about each BMP:

|black||white||grey||

The Black section is what your sprite will look like in-game, with all leftover space being filled in by black. This is because the White section is your 'alpha' channel--anything that's BLACK in this area will be opaque, and always drawn in the game. Anything WHITE will be transparent, and not drawn in the game. Anything that's any other color (grey, cyan, pink) will be drawn transparently, with varying effects. This can be used to give enemies stealth-like abilities, or just for general 'cool' effects.

Typically, if you want your creatures to have a black outline, you'll want to be sure your Alpha channel (the white section) isn't a pixel-for-pixel translation of your black area. If you're still stumped, we can post some examples for you.

The pink and grey section is much more crucial than levellord indicated--that's your hit detection box! The pink must ALWAYS be a rectangle shape, because that's how the Keen:Vorticons engine works--but basically, the pink area is the area of the creature the game checks to see if it's hit anything. Having this box mis-sized can cause odd errors, such as creatures clipping through walls and floors, or killing Keen even if he's clearly jumped over them. Open up the default Keen1 enemies and have a look. Most of the time, the box will be slightly smaller or the same size as the creature itself.

Welcome to Keen:Modding, and don't be afraid to ask questions!

--Xky
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

If you look at Keen's sprite in the game, or a Garg, you'll notice that when they come up next to a wall, they'll overlap it just slightly -- this is because their collision rectangles are just slightly narrower than the sprites themselves, as you can see if you look at their images.

One other point: only the sprite width needs to be divisible by 8 (and the whole .bmp file's width divisible by 24) -- the height can be anything you want, within reason.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

^ Ah, I didn't know that..
Oh, and welcome to the forums. Nice to see a new modder. :)
ian_kloro

Post by ian_kloro »

thanks guys :D i am doing well, i turned keen into a snowball that fires icicles, and now he is smaller than a block

also i am eating soup which is i think quite nice

what do the other colours apart from black and white do in the second frame? i am kind of confused
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Other colours in the second block make the sprite "see through", the colour they appear is affected by what background the sprite is on. Colour Keen's second box dark grey and see for yourself.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah. The other box defines what to show to player from the first pic, and the third is collision box.

Nice to hear that; I like snow! :)