Customizing Credits

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Customizing Credits

Post by levellord »

So you've built your mod; but you want the last thing people see when they exit the game to be your name? Here's how you do it:

1.)Open your mod's .BAT file and as the first line put: @echo off
2.) After the ckpatch line put in cls which will clear the screen. On the next line put @echo followed by custom text. (@echo won't be seen on the screen.)
3.)End with pause This holds the screen so people can see your writing.

Example:

@echo off
cls
@echo hiya there! enjoy the game
@echo (This text appears BEFORE the game loads.)

ck1patch mymod.pat

cls
@echo I did all the work!!!!
@echo Bow to me!!!
@echo (This text appears AFTER the game loads.)

pause

Simple ASCI artwork can be done, simalar to the yorp that appears on exiting Keenedit. In the example I clear the screen before and after running the game.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Heh, that's nice trick! ;) I knew that because I have sometimes done that with Duke editing..

Or, you can use K-Screener..
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

K-screener? do tell...

Duke editing? Its possible?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

LOL, you haven't heard! :) Well, it is program I made for editing Commander Keen 1-3 ending screens. You can find two topics about it in these forums!

Yeah, and Duke 3D modding has been done since the release of the game.. I never released anything, I can't even count how many times I started stuff. I enjoyed coding with that CON. language (Duke 3D's own "language")..
Also Duke Nukum editing is possible, there are level editors and graphic editors. Dunno about Duke 2, there's some editor for that but I haven't ever seen much more than that..
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

D'oh! How could I have missed that! (Need sleep.)

Yes; D-3D editing was my domain before I discovered Keen (Does the name sound familiar?) I have a great .CON editing program that allows you to do things like eat shrunken monsters.
CommanderSpleen

Duke3D

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Ugh... I think I overdid Duke3D modding during the last half of 2003... the entire prospect of playing the game now makes me nauseous. At one point we had three or four of us working at Build for about twelve hours at a time... got incredibly depressing after a while.

I've made a couple of levels over the years that work really well for Dukematch (I may relese them on the JSL someday soon) and messed around with the CON files a whole lot, but never came up with anything conclusive that could be realeased. Duke3D's behind me now, though, so I'll probably not come up with anything more... at least not for a while.

Death sequences always amused me. I could never be bothered completing anything, but I had jib fountains in action at one point, and a single line that caused dead players to fire an RPG after dying... and another project I got bored of involved spawning random stuff after a player dies... stupid things like that.
Dunno about Duke 2, there's some editor for that but I haven't ever seen much more than that..
I haven't found even a trace of information about this. Every search I do about Duke Nukem II is tainted with Duke3D/Forever stuff. Cheats, clichè randomage and all that. Very unpleasant.

>Commander Spleen
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Hey yeah! I remember you! (Just.)

I spent a solid week on build once. (Built 3 levels and collapsed. I will never edit again.)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

I never liked Building or editing art so much, because I knew I never could do that stuff by my own. Yeah, I could have ripped textures and sprites (which I did, for my own use), but making 80 frames of 50 x 100 sprites with 256 colours can be a bit difficult, not to mention textures.. I just loved con, still do, but I don't do it anymore.
I made some nice tweaks, like money, working (single player) CTF (darn, the one line of code affects only to one player - not to everyone, that's why it didn't work), allkinds of nice explosives, gun hiding etc.. There's only small bit.
These days, when the Duke 3D source has been released, I could finish that CTF; add one or two new commands to that con-language and done..

Well, I didn't miss anything (exept some years of Keening), since the modding started some time after I joined. ;)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Hey, lokkit I can do! File

(Don't bother saving it, just open it.)