Unused Ship Parts #whatdo

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
CommanderSpleen

Unused Ship Parts #whatdo

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Due to using world-map doors and a kind of "boss" ending level as the game objectives, the ship parts are left unused. I'm planning to use them as a secondary bonus objective.

So probably all that's needed is to stop ship parts from finishing the game. Ideally they could give some kind of bonus when all four are collected, but it may be enough that they show up in the high score list without affecting the score itself.

I also seem to recall some adurdin patch from the Beginning of Time that allowed 8 items and/or keycards. Does this still exist somewhere? Did I dream it?

Or, perhaps this is a case of overthinking. Maybe the ship parts should be removed from the high scores list and one insterted into each level as a sixth point item with an super high score (always the same one to avoid triggering the ending).

The latter is definitely the easiest, but I'm curious as to what le fellow modders think about a simple points boost (bearing in mind that I'm using the per-level scoring system with infinite lives so there is a specific maximum score) vs additional shinies in the high score list.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Stopping the ending would go hand-in-hand with a bonus objective. I toyed once with making them K-E-E-N items like in Duke Nukum 1, where you had to collect them, either in order or in total in each level for a super-bonus.
CommanderSpleen

I didn't see a patch for that in the KeenWiki, but found the more verbose version of the ending conditions patch on the old Patch Index which will allow completion of a specific level to trigger the ending and leave the ship parts as neutral bonus items. Currently all that's on the wiki is the first section that reduces the number of parts required.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Curious. You must either upload this or point me to it so I may do so. the patch isn't on the ending pages?
CommanderSpleen

Referring to the first patch in this file: http://levellord.rewound.net/Index/Keen%201/END.txt

Code: Select all

#What we need before we can win: (Default: win if all 4 NOT 0)
%patch $8022 $94 $AA $00 $74 #Joystick
%patch $8029 $9C $AA $00 $74 #Battery
%patch $8030 $96 $AA $00 $74 #Vacum
%patch $8037 $98 $AA $00 $74 #Whiskey

#What the byte means:
$94: Joystick  $96: Vaccum      $98: Whiskey  $9A: Pogo       
$9C: Battery   $9E: Yellow card $A0; Red card $A2: Green card 
$A4: Blue card $A6: Level 1     $A8: Level 2  $AA: Level 3
$AC: Level 4   $AE: Level 5     $B0: Level 6  $B2: Level 7
$B4: Level 8   $B6: Level 9     $B8: Level 10 $BA: Level 11
$BC: Level 12  $BE: Level 13    $C0: Level 14 $C2: Level 15
$C4: Level 16  $C6: Lives       $C8: Ammo     $CA: Points
"What the byte means" section is omitted from the wiki.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Aaah cool. There's a link in the section to the 'game stats' page which has that table. It's used in a lot of patches so default policy has been to just link to the page instead of putting it out dozens and dozens of times.