A few Keen 1 patches

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Flyingmouse

A few Keen 1 patches

Post by Flyingmouse »

Ok, here's what I'll need (sorry, I'm making a rather complex mod so there's a lot):

1. EDIT: Going by what's being said, maybe just not having a world map is better...

2a. 4-sprite animation for ice cube (use garg standing still sprites), no sound for ice cannon.

2b. Keen's frozen animation plays at 1/16 of original speed, and animates only once before going to the unfrozen animation, which lasts until Keen hits an exit tile.

3. Vorticons, when shot, play the yorp stunned effect, during which they do not interact with other sprites at all; afterwards, they turn back into vorticons in place of the standing up behaviour.

4. When the joystick is collected, play the item sound as normal, perform the teleporter effect, and go into the next level in numerical order (level01->level02, level02->level03, for example). I NEED this patch for the levels to work right.

5a. OPTIONAL- Keen's controls are locked in level 6.

5b. Upon closing the textbox at the very end, the game quits immediately, no high scores or ordering info or whatever. (I also need this patch to work)

5c. Remove the sound heard upon the 2nd ending textbox.
Last edited by Flyingmouse on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Nospike

Re: A few Keen 1 patches

Post by Nospike »

Flyingmouse wrote:-snip-
Check the Patch Index. Some of the patches, specifically most of the ending patches can be found there.
It's possible to have both unstompable and stompable killing yorps. Simply giving them the garg behavior makes them unstompable and lethal to touch, but there's a patch somewhere that can preserve the stompability.
Flyingmouse

Post by Flyingmouse »

And that actually answers anything? Not saying I couldn't have looked these up in the patch index, which I should have, but that didn't exactly help...

What I'm trying to ask here is if some of these are actually possible in the first place. But if it makes you happier, I'll delete some off the original list...
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

I don't mind, just pointing out that you might find a few by looking into the index or the wiki. And yes, it does answer your question about the yorps.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Hmmmmn, the teleporter patch will be very tricky. do you in fact need the map level at all? Or are you going for simply moving from level to level (Exit tiles included)?

I shall try and tackle these in order, one by one.
Flyingmouse

Post by Flyingmouse »

Sorry Nospike, I was in a bad mood at the time. Albeit about the patch index, I've tried to remove the sound of the 2nd textbox using the patches provided there, but I can't do it for some reason...

About the joystick teleporter, I don't need the map level, but I can't use the exit tiles for this since I need those for the ending. If the normal teleporter could be rigged to work instead, than that's fine too.

Also, there's something I'd forgotten about... I need the death animation to play at 1/4 the original speed for one loop, and then immediately go back to the level. I also need the frozen animation to do the same, minus the level restart.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

Sounds very interesting, looking forward to the end product. :)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Hmmmmnnn... all of this will be very tricky to do indeed. I am not sure it is possible for someone of my talent. I can try and chip away at things, but I'm not sure how much progress can be made.

You may want to check out not the patch index, but the keenwiki patch section: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Category:All_patches Keen 1's sounds for example can be found here: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:Sounds#Keen_1 which gives us the following patch:

Code: Select all

#Light turning off sound (End sequence)
%patch $85C2 $EB $07 #Light turning off sound disabled
Flyingmouse

Post by Flyingmouse »

Bump

Has anything come up with these yet?
levellass

Post by levellass »

The level stuff has proven problematic, especially with KeenRush being the mean sod he is. Without that I am not sure if you'll even want the other patches.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

What have you tried so far?
levellass

Post by levellass »

1.) World map: KeenRush knows how to do this. Refuses to tell anyone.

2.) Ice canons don't make noise, 4-frame Garg animation for icecube: Done. (The sound patch is actually quite compact.)

#Ice cannon fire sound disabled
%patch $209A $EB $07 
2b Frozen Keen stuff. Simple. This is the animation patch, though the exit is proving more problematic.

#1 loop in frozen sequence
%patch $2705 $09        #Animation speed 16x slower (Approx)
%patch $468E $0300W #Frozen time
3. Don't know what the 'standing up behavior' is. Have a patch that makes the Vorticons 'stun' temporarily when shot (Time is adjustable.) then return to chasing Keen.

4. Getting to the next level via teleporter is proving problematic. The rest is ok.

5 Not sure on this one, do you want a level where Keen cannot be controlled at all in a single level? What would he do, just stand there?

5b. Game quits right after endtext. Also done. Disables getting a high score for a completed game though.

5c. Yeppers.

#Endtext appears sound disabled
%patch $88F6 $EB $07 

So yeah.
Flyingmouse

Post by Flyingmouse »

This is neat! About some of the other patches though...

1. Why am I even suprised anymore

3. I meant that after playing the yorp stunned effect, the vorticon goes to its standing pose instead of the yorps. Come to think of it, I think that already exists somewhere...

5a. I think it'd be better if Keen was moving actually, so scratch this one.

5b. It might actually be better to remove the high scores completely; I seem to remember someone already did that.
levellass

Post by levellass »

5b. You want this:

#Disable Enter High Scores Window entirely -Keen 1
%patch $8055 $90 $90 $90
With this Keen is never asked to enter a high score when he wins or quits the game. The high score screen still exists, but you can alter that to do whatever you want. The following patch removes all those pesky high score entries so it's just a screen with some bitmaps and tiles on it:

#Number of entries in high scores - Keen 1
%patch $9A18 $00
It is of course possible ton re-purpose the high scores screen for other things and indeed make it totally unreachable in the game, but this is trickier.