Level is broken

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
StupidBunny

Level is broken

Post by StupidBunny »

I'm having the same problem with the same level that I posted about a few years ago: for whatever reason, the level stopped working and now I can't enter it again. I can try editing the level but that doesn't fix the problem. I have a backup version but it's kind of old now and I didn't think I'd need to update the backup because I haven't added any new sprites (which are generally the source of this kind of trouble.) Any suggestions about what I could do to make the level start again?
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

I'm not sure what to say without looking at the files. Could you upload the old working and the new unworking versions of the level? If you don't want to send these levels out for all to see, you could

a) realize that no one actually comes on K:M and so those not in the 'inner circle' so to speak would not see them, or
b) send them privately to a couple of people.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Define 'stopped working'. Does the game hang? Does it distort the level? Does it storm out of the office shouting, "I QUIT"?

The problem last time was the sprite limit, wasn't it? Have you tried deleting a bunch of sprites? Have you perhaps changed the size of the level such that it's OVER 16000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
StupidBunny

Post by StupidBunny »

I fixed the problem by reloading a backup version...I accidentally overwrote all the graphics I'd drawn since the last backup but I'm backing it up more regularly so it shouldn't be a problem (plus I'm not copy/pasting the BMPs any more, since those clearly aren't going to be the source of the problem.)

I'm pretty sure that, as in the past, this is still related to the fact that there are a shitton of sprites in this level. At current count there are:

23 Vorticons
5 Vortikids
7 Vortimoms
8 Meeps
7 Vortininjas
6 Foobs
9 Balls
4 Jacks
5 platforms
1 heart
1 horizontal gun

Most of these have been patched to some extent and are in a level measuring 70x230 tiles. I back up the whole mod every time I add even one sprite, because if I start playing and there are too many sprites, then the level will start doing very strange things while I play it, and then I will not be allowed to enter it again. As in...I'll go to where the level is, and press to enter, and nothing will happen. And even if I quit out and restart the mod, the same thing happens. I don't know which file it is that's getting jacked but it's really annoying how it seems to be permanent.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

70x230 (16,100)?! That's WAY too big for any level. The maximum level size that will work well without any active sprites is 100x100 (10,000). Try breaking the level up into separate levels. If that doesn't work, at least remove some sprites. I had the same problem in Keen -6 Shelter. Also, that's a lot of sprites.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

I could have sworn I had typed a response to this...

That's a HUGE level! The maximum size that usually works is 100x100. Also, it not only uses lots of tiles, there's lots of sprites. Try reducing level size or removing some enemies.
StupidBunny

Post by StupidBunny »

You did type a response...I'm not sure why you can't see it because I can. :P

I removed some of the enemies and will probably stick with the number I have now. When the mod is done enough I'll probably PM it to a few people for playtesting to make sure it doesn't break. As for the size, it is literally as large as I could make it without totally fucling up the game...I'd really rather keep it as a one-fat-mother-of-a-level mod but if the level size is breaking it then I may have to do a bit of adjusting.