A few Keen 3 Patch Requests

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

A few Keen 3 Patch Requests

Post by Ceilick »

1. I'd like Messie to stop in her path when eating weeds and not move again until both of the following occur: Keen has beaten a level and has returned to Messie.

2. I'd like the Meep to behave somewhat similar to a Vorticon with the exclusion of jumping: It should move around, pause to search for Keen, and then move in that direction but still change direction when bumping into walls. Frames 118-121 walk left, 122-125 walk right, 126-127 stand/search, 128-129 death.

3. Infinite lives.

4. Items collected in-level (points, shots) reset on death.
StupidBunny

Post by StupidBunny »

I was going to start a separate thread but it turns out I also need both the infinite lives and score/shots reset patches. Although I can also use a patch which simply sets both score and shots to zero upon death if that's easier.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Patch 1 is going to be difficult, very difficult indeed.

Patch 2 is possible but will need a bit of work. It's basically just duplicating the Vorticon behavior, will the Meep be shooting?

Patch 3, I'm not sure about the 'objects collected in-level' since I don't know how to sstore those seperate from the score, etc for the game, Lemm may be able to help you. I am working on a patch to reset score and ammo on death.

This patch allows infinite lives by not checking if Keen's lives hit -1 when he dies. You may want to remove the life sprites from the status box of course.

Code: Select all

#Infinite lives
%patch $8E09 $90 $90
With this patch active it's possible to change the 'game over' condition so that if Keen exits a level without shots or something the game ends.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Thanks for the input, Lass!

Patch 2: the Meep will not be shooting.
With this patch active it's possible to change the 'game over' condition so that if Keen exits a level without shots or something the game ends.
This is extremely interesting and something I hadn't considered--starting Game Over Theory thread shortly....
levellass

Post by levellass »

Draft of Meepicon patch:

Code: Select all

#Meepicon patch (SIDE EFFECT: No Joystick window)
#Copy vorticon code -2C0F from original location
%patchfile $153A "Meepicon.CK3"

#Other stuff to make Meepicon
%patch $3D7A $153BW #Meep spawns using new code
%patch $3D51 $0002W #Meep kills
%patch $48C3 $0080W #Shot animation is 128
To take any patch for the Vorticon and apply it to the Meepicon, simply take the patch and make it's address $2C0F less. Get the meepicon data file here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/MEEPICON.CK3