Keen 3 V2?

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Keen 3 V2?

Post by Fleexy »

1. I've tried to convert the V2 to Keen 3, but totally failed. Lemm, could you please make this? Also, please make sure it's compatible with the complex platform path patch.

2. Could you allow slopes like this:

3. I would like Keen to immediately exit the level when he touches an exit tile, regardless of whether he is on the ground. I think this would just be patching in an immediate jump to the exit code instead of checking for Y velocity.

Thanks in advance!

-Fleexy
lemm

Post by lemm »

1. Okay when I get time. It will probably won't overwrite the complex platform patch.

2. no

3. Yes that is right.
levellass

Post by levellass »

This patch allows Keen to exit the level as soon as he touches an exit tile, instead of having to be on the ground when he does so. This will result in him 'walking on air' unless the 'exit walk' is shortened to 0 tiles long.

Code: Select all

#Exit level by just touching exit tile - Keen 1
%patch $44D8 $EB

#Exit level by just touching exit tile - Keen 2
%patch $72EF $90 $90

#Exit level by just touching exit tile - Keen 3
%patch $7B10 $90 $90
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

So we can now have Galaxy style exits in Vorticons? Wow.
Edit: This gives me an idea... Would it be possible to make Keen use a different sprite while exiting? If combined with this touch-to-exit patch and the 0 tile exit walk patch, we could do stuff like Keen giving the player a thumbs up similar to the newer Super Mario Bros games. And of course if the pause before exiting is shortened, we can have a Galaxy style exit too. The possibilities are endless.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Keen's walking-exiting behavior is totally separate from his normal walking behavior, the problem being that it is automatically set to 0. So it is in fact easier to patch Keen's walking animation to use different sprites, then use the old walking sprites as the new exiting sequence.

This is the two things patachable for Keen 1's exit animations:

Code: Select all

#Exiting Keen
%patch $411C 3   #Frames used by Keen exiting -1
%patch $4118 4   #Animation speed