PATCH REQUEST: lose shotswhen dead

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
grelphy

PATCH REQUEST: lose shotswhen dead

Post by grelphy »

Cold you make a patch so that when Keen dies, he loses all his rayguns?
(Pogo too, if you feel like it, but that's really not neccesary)

So, anyway, what happens is this: Keen dies, for whatever reason. He goes back to the world map, only sans rayguns.

Of course, this requires that you apply some interesting new techniques to level design-you always have to assume that your victim, ahem, level tester can finish the level from a fresh slate... And players *must* save at the end of every level, or risk starting over with no shots...

Anyway. This would be useful if you could manage, but it's not critical.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Here are some:
http://durdin.net/andy/keen/modding/viewtopic.php?t=67
But I think those will always remove the shots when you exit the level normally (using exit door) too..
XkyRauh

re: ammunition management

Post by XkyRauh »

It's kinda odd to think about, but most games these days don't really have ammunition management as a huge part of the game, do they? Many of the "action" games have limited ammo for, say, the rocket launcher, but 9 games out of ten have some sort of default pistol or handgun that has unlimited ammo. I wonder when this change occured, and why it's so commonly accepted now... :-)

Ammo management in a game like Keen is important--which is why the "Easy" difficulties on Keen:Galaxy gave you additional ammo for each raygun. Truth be told, though, it was rare for me to ever be short ammo. Perhaps this patch (and Grelphy's mod) will prove me wrong...

Grelphy--what exactly are you working on, anyway? I'm curious and excited all at once!

--Xky
ckguy

Ammo shortage

Post by ckguy »

Xky, if I remeber correctly, there was a bit of an ammo shortage in Keen Episode X. Is that right?
grelphy

heh, heh, heh...

Post by grelphy »

Vox - Mortimer Mcmire is at it again!

so, i'm reneging on my promise to keep it a secret until I released it... Oh, well. Now you can all start drooling over it... just try and keep making your own mods until I'm finished.

Actually, this patch is useful for most level builders because it makes tham think about the completion of each level - can it be done with nothing to start with? If it can't somethings wrong. Providing just exactly the number of rayguns, or one more, than are required seems to be a lost art - perfected in Keen 3, where some of the levels were virtually impossible to complete without extra rayguns - but they were all doable going in empty. Maybe not easy, but that's the point.

Okay, enough ranting. I will say this: Vox is a trilogy and currently features some of my best (IMHO) level and tile design. The enemies are still giving me nightmares (i remade the Keen sprite, and now I have to port it over to two other levels... Brr...), but I still expect to be able to release it sometime near the middle of next year.[/url]
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Woah! Can't wait to see it done! :)