Keen2 Sprites [Cancelled Patch Request]

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
XkyRauh

Keen2 Sprites [Cancelled Patch Request]

Post by XkyRauh »

More work being put into my Keen2 mod... Came up with a neat ideas for the Grunt/Elite death animations, but as the sprites work currently, neither idea is possible. Here is my request, and it's an either/or. I definitely do not need both of these, and if neither is possible, I can still make due without.

--either--

* Make the Vorticon Grunt/Elite "dead" sprite (2BMP0087 and 2SPR101) a "foreground" object while it is displayed. As they work currently, they're a "middleground' object of sorts: Keen's sprite will go in front of them, but Keen's shots will go behind them. If possible, I'd like Keen's sprite to be drawn behind them as well.

--or--

* Make the Vorticon Grunt/Elite collision box null or nonexistent for their "dead" sprite (2BMP0087 and 2SPR101) so that when this sprite is displayed, the entity falls through all floors, etc., and off the screen. If I simply delete the collision box as the sprite currently works, the clipping remains intact from the previous sprite (2BMP0086 and 2SPR0100) As such, I'm guessing this patch is considerably harder to achieve.

Now, for the record, these changes will all be for a rather minor in-game visual... so there's no pressure or angst here--like I said, I can definitely do without. It'd just be a nice touch :-)

Thank you!

--Xky
Last edited by XkyRauh on Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ah, I really like your second idea.. :) It would pretty cool..

By the way, what there actually happens when something object falls below the level? Is it removed from the memory and things like that?
XkyRauh

re: bottom of the screen

Post by XkyRauh »

I would hope that it's removed from memory once it's off the bottom of the screen. However, another Apogee game, Crystal Caves, glitches quite badly if you let little Milo get off the bottom of the screen without dying (possible in a few levels where there are spikes on the bottom, instead of flooring--fall thru the spikes, take a hit, and you're in glitchville!)

At the very least, however, we know that the Keen engine stops drawing dead enemies as soon as they leave the left/right border of the screen, as evidenced by corpses disappearing. As I said in my post above, the fall-thru-everything would probably be considerably harder to achieve, all for a minor graphical effect. I'd much rather have the foreground-death thing, but either one is preferable over the default.

--Xky
XkyRauh

re: PATCH

Post by XkyRauh »

Well... I've changed my mind. I can do with the shortcomings of having Keen walk in "front" of these dead sprites--it's barely noticable unless you specifically look for it. Surprisingly enough, practically EVERY OTHER SPRITE besides Keen goes "behind" these dead grunts (elevators, scrubs, etc) so I figure leaving Keen in the "foreground" is acceptable enough.

Now, let's see if I can change my topic title to say "Nevermind!" ;-)

--Xky